Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - cold spell to end Autumn

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread. 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Thank you!

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
40 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

early jan 13 - cant remember exact date - guessing 6th = 10th ish

I had a discussion with a couple of members about this yesterday and then looked the archive chart up earlier - 11/12th Jan, but slider came in from WSW rather than NW and met polar continental air that was pushing in at the same time from the ENE which meant fronts were negatively tilted and why it was successful in these parts.

All the sliders since then have approached from the NW and had a positive frontal tilt resulting in rain. Jan 2013 was the last accumulation that lasted a day (Feb 2015 conjured up a trough which gave an overnight covering, but it had melted by lunchtime).

Edited by The Enforcer
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I always thought that Ian Brown moment came courtesy of the lead up to December 2009? When, up until that point, such HLB was supposed to be a thing of the past (according to his MW theory)

Edited by s4lancia
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
7 minutes ago, s4lancia said:

I always thought that Ian Brown moment came courtesy of the lead up to December 2009? When, up until that point, such HLB was supposed to be a thing of the past (according to his MW theory)

Agreed it was well before 2013...could have been late Nov 2010?

By the way it always seems to be the GFS 06 and 18z runs that show the more 'outlandish' runs, if I can call them that.

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
1 hour ago, Steve Murr said:

What date was the Ian Brown infamous WTF - that was a similar slider event..

Does he still hold the record for the most 'liked' post ever? I think it was 170+ likes for his "WTF" post? I can find it or more 'I dont know what to say' December 2009

Edited by stewfox

Posted
56 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Ens London 

1CE5F399-02CF-440C-9AA5-A6449C3C4C92.thumb.gif.e30c071b1324ce1368560580801ac292.gif

Ecm whilst no outlier, does taker one of the more milder routes from around the 10th. 

My mind still says it will back west with the slider low. 

Slightly colder than yesterday’s so all in all a very good day. I see one of the members in the suite is a cobra run I can infer that is caused by a beasterly, maybe the start of a trend? :D 

You can not get gather that depth of surface cold from a northerly airstream - continental.  :crazy:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
1 hour ago, s4lancia said:

Pretty sure it was January 2013, which, although not an overly cold month, was very snowy for a lot of places.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.

Excellent runs lately for snow, ice, frost and significant wind chill , no matter how long it lasts it will be the most noteworthy cold spell we have had at least for the past few years.

Really have a good feeling about this spell with possible lying snow and maybe possible icicles going well with all the Christmas decorations up.

Let the models continue with the awesome outputs all the way to T0 

:):yahoo::D

Posted
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: Continental:Warm dry summers, cold snowy winters
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom
2 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

early jan 13 - cant remember exact date - guessing 6th = 10th ish

It was Sunday 20th of January. Similar event on the 18th as well 

Posted

GFS sliding the low to our South west meaning a very cold weekend- esp for places with snow-cover.

144-

gfs-0-144.png?0

Not seen UKMO but i refuse to believe it could be as good as GFS thats for sure!!!

Its not until monday evening that the colder uppers leave our shores...

Edited by northwestsnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

There you go mate. 

0A8877C6-47B1-4E6E-92A2-1E7B113F29EA.thumb.gif.cfacb1ba76066eb92d15ae1eda17e54f.gif

Posted

Rinse and Repeat? 

5F96C22E-1622-435C-B63C-504663C3420C.thumb.png.91e42f3bb47a44a4100b1132df5bb50c.png

Colder air hangs around alot longer. Heights drop temporarily to the NW then as Low Pressure moves across North of us and then heads E/SE pressure builds again! 

Edited by Mark N
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Mark N said:

Rinse and Repeat? 

5F96C22E-1622-435C-B63C-504663C3420C.thumb.png.91e42f3bb47a44a4100b1132df5bb50c.png

Colder air hangs around alot longer. Heights drop temporarily to the NW then as Low Pressure moves across North of us and then heads E/SE pressure builds again! 

Gfs is brill...but im not keen on ukmo...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
3 hours ago, CanadaAl said:

It was Sunday 20th of January. Similar event on the 18th as well 

No I was talking about the actual run coming out when he said wtf, it was after an ecm run.

Posted

Bit further out and in FI.. 

Low Pressure in Atlantic looks to be sliding SE on this again. Flirting with Southern England. More in the Atlantic but good alignment? Edit. Then blows low up and comes up across UK. 

F34DC322-F160-4305-9793-10B4C9B9E12D.png

AC2592B8-33D0-4D02-8BEF-DD27E4EDE6CF.png

Edited by Mark N

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot
3 minutes ago, Mark N said:

Rinse and Repeat? 

Wow, I have to say I've been so impressed with the GFS these past 4 weeks despite a couple of wobbles. When it comes to latching onto cold patterns beyond 144 which, we all know, professionals have very little confidence in, it has been smoking hot,  or should I say Ice Cold. 

There's certainly alot to keep us interested well into December which is a rarity indeed. To have a second year in a row with such a lack of storms through Autumn and into Winter certainly suggests something has changed on a macro scale. Please let it be the new norm :cold:

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, geordiekev said:

Wow, I have to say I've been so impressed with the GFS these past 4 weeks despite a couple of wobbles. 

Looking very isolated this morning  - ec too Far East with the slider which becomes more of a diver with too much oomph behind it and not enough wedge ahead of it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

ECM is poor after the initial northerly, pattern too far east again, rain for all from the sliders and less cold from Monday.

Posted

It’s not what most want to hear but there isn’t quite the blocking to the north to sustain the cold spell later this week. A few folks I am sure will get some snow, but for me it’s a decidedly timid affair. These two anomaly charts show that all isn’t lost though. In around 9-10 days time the blocking around Svalbard etc it much more pronounced and we might be able to tap into this to magic up a 2 week potent cold spell. 

A bit more waiting and at least it’s an interesting and potential radar watching few days. 

6BC5174D-DB79-4B45-8DEC-7D05C025003F.png

E08624D4-4FAB-450E-93E7-F843063D5DB8.png

Edited by Iceberg
  • Like 2

Posted
7 hours ago, Steve Murr said:

I think you need to be careful with just assuming a lobe of the vortex over Canada is going to have the same impacts as the entire vortex setting up in the same locale, especially when there is so much opposing force coming back at it out of Russia ... 

The forcing from Russia is becoming less and less with each ecm run. The Canadian vortex is beginning to run the show as far as the ecm is concerned. In turn that makes me very concerned. We have had 6 years of this now.