Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - cold spell to end Autumn

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread. 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Thank you!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

I will gladly take a run like this from thurs onwards from the Ecm 12z any day, any week, any month during the winter over southwesterly  mild mush!..for those who prefer mild, enjoy wednesday because arctic air is on the way with a strong blast piling snow showers down across the UK later in the week with widespread frosty nights. even though the uppers lift a bit during next weekend it stays cold with a wintry mix, snow especially to high ground..then a reload of colder uppers from the north returning south..it's wintry!...anyway, it's still evolving, there could be further upgrades nearer the time as the models firm up on the finer detail..Enjoy the ride coldies!:cold-emoji:

72_mslp850uk.png

72_thickuk.png

96_thickuk.png

96_mslp850.png

120_mslp850uk.png

120_thickuk.png

120_mslp850.png

144_thickuk.png

144_mslp850uk.png

144_mslp850.png

168_mslp850uk.png

192_mslp850uk.png

192_mslp850.png

216_mslp850.png

216_thickuk.png

240_mslp850uk.png

240_thickuk.png

240_mslp850.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Broadmayne blizzard said:

ooh whats that peaking over the top of the Scandi trough at 240 on ECM. ..............rearrange the following words...... High ...Russian.

Hishian Rugs?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
34 minutes ago, SN0WM4N said:

When it comes to Sliders N and E of the low is usually a good spot for snow, those S and W will receive cold rain.

The important thing for sliders is not to be on the east coast and to have south easterlies at the surface so that the low drags colder and drier air ahead. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, snowking said:

I'm not a fan of looking at precise snowfall prospects at this range as this will obviously vary hugely from run to run (and suite to suite), but on this particular ECM Det. run:

us_model-en-999-0_modez_2017120312_174_18_108.thumb.png.37422782aa27ef3addcdfe5b2fb49cf8.png

It looks fairly impressive North of that magical M4 corridor

From the charts I've seen (and not just this one), ECM has Sunday as a big snow event north of M4. The ECM op has actually shown this many times now, with some variation over where the snow is centred.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Bit of a no man's land type of chart from UKMO extended over the UK no deep lows and no big high

ukm2.2017121012_168_lant.troplant_prp_fcst.gentracker.thumb.png.ce0dc2b963b38b9bec6b43691df4fd29.png

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
24 minutes ago, tinybill said:

country  file are  saying after  thuesday by  the end  of  the week iscold  and windy by friday with possibe wintry showers 

That sounds pathetic to be fair :nonono:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

It was pathetic tbh, it was very vague with its graphics as usual and said wintry showers around the coasts and was sunny down the spine, I’m sure that will change as it gets closer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
5 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Bit of a no man's land type of chart from UKMO extended over the UK no deep lows and no big high

ukm2.2017121012_168_lant.troplant_prp_fcst.gentracker.thumb.png.ce0dc2b963b38b9bec6b43691df4fd29.png

Looks to me like a sliding low? Similar to ECM but perhaps a tad further west

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

I think over the years they have been put into their place at times, I.e calling a barbecue summer in 2007, and then turning out to be the wettest on record! So have since kept a more conservative view and not counting chickens before they've hatched! 

Posted
1 minute ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

I think over the years they have been put into their place at times, I.e calling a barbecue summer in 2007, and then turning out to be the wettest on record! So have since kept a more conservative view and not counting chickens before they've hatched! 

yep - on the fence until closer to snow-day before giving out panic or non-panic info

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Well it does have the trough behind the ecm but of course there is no way of knowing the angle of the jet.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
17 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

It was as per UKMO output really and they only went up to Friday, so no great shakes imo. They clearly have confidence in a very cold northerly but aren’t tempted to go further .......yet. Who can blame them??

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, markw2680 said:

It was pathetic tbh, it was very vague with its graphics as usual and said wintry showers around the coasts and was sunny down the spine, I’m sure that will change as it gets closer

I don't agree as he did say it would turn markedly colder by Thursday and interestingly showed a trough coming down from the North. It's a potent 2 day toppler though as we know further potential afterwards

Posted
4 minutes ago, markw2680 said:

Yes why is chris fawkes tweeting about disruptive snow and then the beeb wheel out an absolutely abysmal forecast for snow fans.

If thats right there will be hardly any snow..anywhere.

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

It's usual playing down caution, I've seen plenty of reports today saying much, much colder with snow in places after the midweek wet and windy period..and of course most of the latest model output is ace for c o l d i e s:D 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, January Snowstorm said:

I don't agree as he did say it would turn markedly colder by Thursday and interestingly showed a trough coming down from the North. It's a potent 2 day toppler though as we know further potential afterwards

It's a toppler, Jim. But not as we know it!:cold-emoji:

Posted
1 minute ago, knocker said:

I know it's an absolute disgrace and a complete waste of public money when they refuse to tell us what we want to hear,

:D great minds knocker think alike..:hi:

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Yes why is chris fawkes tweeting about disruptive snow and then the beeb wheel out an absolutely abysmal forecast for snow fans.

If thats right there will be hardly any snow..anywhere.

Detail impossible at this range?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot
1 hour ago, Isleofwightsnowgal74 said:

Could someone please explain to me are the charts showing potential cold and snow for...

A good place to check specifics are in the regional threads and there's always visitors local to those threads to answer any questions. 

But, the best way of learning is to use netweathers free GFS charts. Choose a specific time to look at Eg T24, then just play around with the drop down options for that exact same time, precipitation type, temp, wind, snow chances, pressure charts. Then just scroll forward, you'll soon pick up the correlation between the charts that are mainly shown in here, with what to expect on the ground.

Ofcourse there's many of the most helpful members in here to help,  but that's where I would start. But believe me it's addictive, the GFS charts are free just to lure you in :santa-emoji:

https://www.netweather.tv/charts-and-data/gfs

Edited by geordiekev
  • Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

:D great minds knocker think alike..:hi:

I actually feel sorry for knocker and sidney, didn't think I would ever say that.:D

Very exciting 12z runs showing an arctic blast sweep south after wednesday:shok:.

Edited by Frosty.
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Well just caught up on the model output. And wow it’s gonna get cold from Thursday onwards. A far cry from this time last year. Seeing a few comments regarding the weather for week ahead forecast regarding not showing widespread snow. But I’ve not seen much in the charts to suggest that anyway. Summary is turning very cold with widespread sharp frost with coastal counties seeing snow and Scotland. :cold:

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, knocker said:

Oh dearie, dearie me. The thought of Frosty feeling sorry for me has brought on one of my turns. A dark room beckons.

Check out the woodshed, there's something wintry lurking in there:shok:

Enjoy the cold knocks:drinks:models never looked better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1