Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - cold spell to end Autumn

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread. 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Thank you!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional
20 minutes ago, Isleofwightsnowgal74 said:

Could someone please explain to me are the charts showing potential cold and snow for all the country or just north? Coming from the Isle of Wight I’m really not sure whether to be excited or not? Obviously be great just to have a prolonged cold spell but wondered what our southerners chances of snow are? Sorry if wrong thread just trying to understand the charts? 

Get the cold air in place and then worry about your regions' chances might be an old adage but it IS a sound one. Same goes for everyone else wondering over the specifics. Even now, the bigger picture could change but once down to D3 timescales we should get a clearer idea on the surface specifics, so that'll be Tuesday evening's model outputs or thereabouts. During this range, i.e. less than 72 hours right through to almost zero hours, Fax charts and local media forecasts come into their own when trying to second-guess precipitation types (will it snow IMBY?). All I'll say is that my feet on firmly on the ground, we've been here a million times in the past, so I'll be waiting for many further runs yet. Tempted to go 70:30 in favour of a significant wintry event, but will stick with 60:40 chances for now. :friends:

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Just comparing 2010 to 2017 potential.

17th December was the last time the Fylde had a memorable event.

Rrea00120101217.thumb.gif.60a48a4206291e71fab0fbb46fc6ac46.gif

h50dddddddddddddddddd0slp.thumb.png.2ec05c774ec286e68f85c1223d7e7ea3.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

Isnt Ec looking cold again after the low passes through? Looks cold to me at 192 onwards ?at work cant see the 850s.

Nothing desperately cold 

But yes colder

CE9C8177-DB47-4481-9586-6DB8AA13D888.thumb.png.83cc78b3c16e864cebaa6002601b5dcb.png 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
4 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Roughly North of the Home Counties its lots of snow

once the front is through  its damp thereafter 

Seen it now, if I'm looking at the chart right, decent covering maintained across Wales and NW England right to the end of the run.

• Thanks 2

Posted

The ECM at T168hrs shows a very rare set up and its all very complicated in terms of detail. Impossible to say which areas will be in the firing line this far out.

Theres disagreement between the big 3 as to where this Atlantic energy might track so it's very much a case of having to wait and see.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Thank goodness for the 160kt jet. 

Seems to be setting up reload after reload.  :yahoo:

901A0A8A-BC21-4533-A8A2-76CC4FFB75AE.png

Edited by shotski
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.
3 minutes ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

Just comparing 2010 to 2017 potential.

17th December was the last time the Fylde had a memorable event.

Rrea00120101217.thumb.gif.60a48a4206291e71fab0fbb46fc6ac46.gif

h50dddddddddddddddddd0slp.thumb.png.2ec05c774ec286e68f85c1223d7e7ea3.png

Had a steamer set up that day back in 2010, all the way from the west coast of Wales, dumped a fair few inches here, would be nice to see a repeat, charts look very similar, doubt will see the same result though but who knows. 

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

The ECM at T168hrs shows a very rare set up and its all very complicated in terms of detail. Impossible to say which areas will be in the firing line this far out.

Theres disagreement between the big 3 as to where this Atlantic energy might track so it's very much a case of having to wait and see.

Are you thinking this? 

archives-1979-2-13-0-0.png

• Like 1

Posted

Anyone have the link to the ECM snow accumulation charts?

Also, the Fax charts should be updated soon. Might give an idea of any troughs that bring increase wintry precipitation. 

Posted
Just now, Britneyfan said:

Let's hope the ECM is not the way forward, otherwise we are looking at a very brief northerly with very little in the way of snow expect higher ground, hills and Scotland! Nothing unusual or exciting 

Looks far more wintry than that to me. Uppers supportive of snowfall to low levels, and streamer and disturbances in the flow with showers pushing well in land. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Britneyfan said:

Let's hope the ECM is not the way forward, otherwise we are looking at a very brief northerly with very little in the way of snow expect higher ground, hills and Scotland! Nothing unusual or exciting 

Not true but academic at this stage without any x model agreement on the evolution in the nw Atlantic days 5/7. 

Edited by bluearmy

Posted
1 minute ago, Britneyfan said:

I'm not a fan of looking at precise snowfall prospects at this range as this will obviously vary hugely from run to run (and suite to suite), but on this particular ECM Det. run:

us_model-en-999-0_modez_2017120312_174_18_108.thumb.png.37422782aa27ef3addcdfe5b2fb49cf8.png

It looks fairly impressive North of that magical M4 corridor

• Like 4

Posted
20 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

What a dogs dinner the ECM is making out of this..... eeesh

2D3A0682-DD45-4BA8-B89E-9FC13B8A6106.thumb.png.9afa3b000f4bf5cd55f3694d6ad1c34b.png

cold rain is my least favourite weather type.

I couldn't agree more. I am disappointed with the ecm op in the medium to long term. One of the main problems with this run is the fact that the pv lobe over north east Canada is much more menacing and then moves east towards Greenland. We really do not want this to happen. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Snow, Snow and Cold

Hi all, to my surprise I found these snow depths, when 850's seem to be not conducive for snow.

us_model-en-087-0_modez_2017120312_168_4855_215.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

JMA got the low sliding SE’wards much further to the west. ECM probably too far east going off past experiences with this sort of setup. Will have to wait until we get some sort of agreement but exciting times!

5651DE8F-938D-4DDF-8D8A-A1627A2D0F10.gif

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
Just now, bluearmy said:

Not true but acandemic at this stage without any x model agreement on the evolution in the nw Atlantic days 5/7. 

very true Nick.Anyone trying to stick detail on possible events seven days out  in a situationlike this is really just wasting their time.

Edited by Broadmayne blizzard
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
1 minute ago, blizzard81 said:

I couldn't agree more. I am disappointed with the ecm op in the medium to long term. One of the main problems with this run is the fact that the pv lobe over north east Canada is much more menacing and then moves east towards Greenland. We really do not want this to happen. 

I’m still happy to play the long game if needs be, and the end of the week looks good for many. We are in a rare situation where we could get a few bites at the cherry. 

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, ArHu3 said:

Are you thinking this?

archives-1979-2-13-0-0.png

That's a rare set up as well but had a deeper level of cold air to draw on as the feed ahead of the fronts was from the east.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: Continental:Warm dry summers, cold snowy winters
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom
2 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

It looks unlikely that the PV will intensify to this level at least in the next 2 weeks. Positive PNA should see to that

• Like 1

Posted

country  file are  saying after  thuesday by  the end  of  the week iscold  and windy by friday with possibe wintry showers 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

ooh whats that peaking over the top of the Scandi trough at 240 on ECM. ..............rearrange the following words...... High ...Russian.