Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - cold spell to end Autumn

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread. 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Thank you!

Posted
8 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

I'm sure there is mate - it's just the back of the cold front which I doubt will bring anything notable 

Yes im thinking very cold upper air sourced from Greeny over a warmish sea track..polar low territory potentially..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
Just now, northwestsnow said:

That is a classic chart !

certainly is, but no slider snow event, looks a better FI than the 12Z coming up

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE
1 minute ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Very cold at this stage, but GFS takes the slider miles too far west, ECM way further east

gfs-0-174.png?18

At this range it will go east/ west, at least the cold has set in:cold:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
2 minutes ago, John Badrick said:

Rember it can all go pete tong even 48 hours out, don't forget the infamous "That ECM" back in 2012

Do you have to keep reminding us that:nonono::rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Slider low way way to the west on the 18z, no where near our shores. Still, some wedges of -40c air at 500mb dropping down from Greenland may induce a polar low to the north that could bring more organised snow to northern areas.

86C43A23-C31E-4007-8F24-69DA7BA0A53D.thumb.png.c002f721b9765b578434163ec58acc85.png

Eventually the ridge to our west collapses to allow winds to back westerly, but that’s FI and not worth worrying over for now ...

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
1 minute ago, Allseasons-si said:

Do you have to keep reminding us that:nonono::rofl:

Suffering from post traumatic stress disorder after that event.

I think we all are:wallbash:

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Unstable Northerly, I'm sure the fax charts will show trough lines swinging south in the arctic flow..how great is it to be talking about arctic air instead of the usual mild zonal mush!:D

Your wish is my command. The T+120 MetO Fax chart has just been updated for Thursday, Dec 7th 1200:

20171202.2147.PPVO89.png

Loads of troughs there with plenty of interest. Obviously, the detail will change but definitely encouraging.

Edited by Guest
Correct typos

Posted

Please can we stick to the models and not clutter up the thread with the wrongs and rights of the BBC!

• Like 4

Remember the old saying...get the cold in first...well...

gfs-1-198.png?18

No point in getting bogged down into details this far out, there's always likely to be disturbances within the flow and it's great to see the whole of Europe in the freezer. I still think that the door to an Easterly flow is being opened slowly but surely as we head through December and into January when seeing charts like what we are seeing, the constant flip flopping from one day to another shows that things aren't behaving in the normal manner and that has to be a good thing as the normal manner usually involves HP over Azores and lows running over the top through the UK. 

Even when this does show up on the models as per + 210 on tonights GFS 

gfs-0-210.png?18

it doesn't seem to take long for the cold to find a way back...or the next days runs drop the return to westerly idea completely.

Enjoy the cold at the back end of next week and let's see where it goes from there 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow.. frost. Freezing fog

There is a downbeat feel after the 18z.... I've seen more than enough GFS 18z"s start a new trend or back track 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow
Just now, Winter Hill said:

There is a downbeat feel after the 18z.... I've seen more than enough GFS 18z"s start a new trend or back track 

Are you for real with that !!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

What are you on about? If that’s downbeat then there really is a problem

• Like 3

Posted

Yep that run went wrong fairly early. Our trigger low on Thursday further North than the 12z and the low to our east further North and East.

Edited by Snowy L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Are you looking at the right 18z? There hasn't been any backtrack. The theme is the same, very cold beyond Thursday with unstable Northerly airlfow and an increased risk of snow.

The only thing that has changed in the back-edge snow for Thursday which was never really "nailed on" anyway, but this is just 1 run. I don't see anyone being downbeat in here? Talks of backtracking are certainly unjustified, backtracking to what? The 18z GFS is solid in terms of cold.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Slider low way way to the west on the 18z, no where near our shores. Still, some wedges of -40c air at 500mb dropping down from Greenland may induce a polar low to the north that could bring more organised snow to northern areas.

86C43A23-C31E-4007-8F24-69DA7BA0A53D.thumb.png.c002f721b9765b578434163ec58acc85.png

Eventually the ridge to our west collapses to allow winds to back westerly, but that’s FI and not worth worrying over for now ...

A forecast sounding for 12 on the 8th

sounding.thumb.jpg.c68cb52c06e81f84a9d8b3fcfde4968a.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow.. frost. Freezing fog

For one the backedge snow has gone on the 18z 

That in my book is a back track 

Posted
Just now, markw2680 said:

What are you on about? If that’s downbeat then there really is a problem

The 18z for most places will be a few days of dry and cold weather with the odd snow shower folloed by a return to zonal weather. Dont know what is so amazing about that? ECM has been the best today

1 minute ago, Danny* said:

Are you looking at the right 18z? There hasn't been any backtrack. The theme is the same, very cold beyond Thursday with unstable Northerly airlfow and an increased risk of snow.

The only thing that has changed in the back-edge snow for Thursday which was never really "nailed on" anyway, but this is just 1 run. I don't see anyone being downbeat in here? Talks of backtracking are certainly unjustified, backtracking to what? The 18z GFS is solid in terms of cold.

We have lost the slider and the pattern over the UK completely flattens 3 days after the Northerly starts. I know this stuff is FI but when compared to the ECM the GFS is terrible.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
5 minutes ago, Bring Back1962-63 said:

Your wish is my command. The T+120 MetO Fax chart has just been updated for Thursday, Dec 7th 1200:

20171202.2147.PPVO89.png

Loads of troughs there with plenty of interest. Obviously, the detail will change but definitely encouraging.

Thanks for showing the new fax chart..exciting times ahead..for the majority of us who love cold weather and snow.:)

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms
1 minute ago, Snowy L said:

The 18z for most places will be a few days of dry and cold weather with the odd snow shower folloed by a return to zonal weather. Dont know what is so amazing about that? ECM has been the best today

We have lost the slider and the pattern over the UK completely flattens 3 days after the Northerly starts. I know this stuff is FI but when compared to the ECM the GFS is terrible.

We are talking about the weather for the end of next week so I’m pretty sure there will be many changes in detail etc but the main theme remains so imo there is definitely no backtrack or downgrade or whatever you may wana call it

• Like 2

Posted

before anyone chews their knuckles off over the details of this or any other run, before this point on thursday, there are 20 more GFS runs, and 10 more ECM and UKMO runs each. it can and will change. maybe even for the better....

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

A back track is a modelled change/ correction from something we think is excellent to something less so.

The weather itself doesn't back track, you get what ever the conditions will allow for.

• Like 1