Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - cold spell to end Autumn

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread. 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Thank you!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Well..

GFS does like to overblow low pressure systems to correcting South as per 18z is expected/weaker low when it does actually arrive. The low will be crossing the UK on Wednesday, that's pretty much nailed. What isn't nailed is the track/intensity. 

GFS/UKMO broadly in agreement with a shallower low crossing further South. ECM has the low deeper and thus further North, but it's hard to see where the low crosses because of the 24hr time jumps.

I'd punt at the low crossing Eastwards somewhere along the M4/South-Midlands at a push for Northern extent, that puts the snow risk pretty much everywhere South of N England. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer

and it just gets better the final frames we have a greenland HP and the siberian HP marching west at the same time mad run

Posted
19 minutes ago, J-Man said:

Just 132 hrs from now.

18_138_preciptype.png.1df406d21ba43175f3

Given the type of scenario we are dealing with this wouldnt be guarenteed at +48 let alone +132.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ShortWaveHell said:

Iv worked out how you’re so knowledgeable , you’re from the future , your clock is nearly at 11pm us mere mortals are 15 mins behind. 

Ha - ive been in the delorean & gone forward 15 mins

lets see what the mean & control looks like-

I think Dannys estimate is correct -M4 for track seems good to me ...  possible blizzards for some as the Northerlies undercut the PPN

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, heatwaves and anything extreme
Just now, MKN said:

Given the type of scenario we are dealing with this wouldnt be guarenteed at +48 let alone +132.

I think the gfs has been quite reasonable over past 5 weeks, yes things drop in the drop out then back in again but so far this autumn its generally been on the ball with the patterns.  Lets hope it continues over coming month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms
15 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Well meto still talking of wind and rain and wintry showers following behind.

After seeing 18z GFS i would be extremely dis-satisfied with wintry showers...

Pretty please ECM..stop being a bugger your causing my hair to go grey..

Don’t no about grey mine is falling out after going on to many rollercoasters. Sorry mods couldn’t resist

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Just a few images of what could be coming for next week before bed.  Sweet dreams!!!

No chart available for the selected hour. Many charts start at 3 hours ahead, so if you have 0 hours selected try stepping forward or selecting a later hour. No chart available for the selected hour. Many charts start at 3 hours ahead, so if you have 0 hours selected try stepping forward or selecting a later hour. No chart available for the selected hour. Many charts start at 3 hours ahead, so if you have 0 hours selected try stepping forward or selecting a later hour. No chart available for the selected hour. Many charts start at 3 hours ahead, so if you have 0 hours selected try stepping forward or selecting a later hour.

Edited by Ice Day
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Wonder if this will be rivalled, the blizzard of 30 December 1962! 

Also a deep concern that many of the most recent new drivers have never experienced driving in snow at all, let alone drifts of it! 

image.png

image.png

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91
  • Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Mean & control all shifted south inline with op @114 Also CAA coming south towards the UK

we now just the day 5 mean showing near perfect allignment for a storm..

7 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Mean & control all shifted south inline with op @114 Also CAA coming south towards the UK

we now just the day 5 mean showing near perfect allignment for a storm..

Steve...my excitement meter is hurtling off the scale..wife thinks ive gone loopy lol.

Ps she'd be right.

Onto ens..hope 18z is a mild outlier.:D

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
Just now, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Wonder if this will be rivalled, the blizzard of 30 December 1962! 

Also a deep concern that many of the most recent drivers have never experienced driving in snow at all, let alone drifts of it! 

image.png

image.png

Passed my driving text back in August so I'm one of those new drivers, I think my biggest issue is going to be other drivers doing ridiculous things whilst driving about, though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!
6 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Another stonking GEFS 850 graph / snow percentage coming up.

Jesus wept man......I'm trying to go to bed here!  I'm going to have to have a look now!

Edit - having had a quick check, nearly every pert shows some type of northerly at 150. I'll take Pert 8 please.

gensnh-8-1-150.png

Edited by Ice Day
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
2 minutes ago, Danny* said:

Passed my driving text back in August so I'm one of those new drivers, I think my biggest issue is going to be other drivers doing ridiculous things whilst driving about, though

Indeed. A little knowledge can be a very dangerous thing. 

About time we had a decent amount of snowfall, as it will at least show the newbie drivers what it's like and how to deal with it carefully. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Mean briefly hits -8c for Manchester, must be some genuine flatiners (-10c) in there.

In the midst of my unbridled excitement im forgetting EC is not showing anything like GFS...

Gona have to be an all nighter...i dont want to watch 00z incase i jinx it.:nonono:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

12z GFS op wind speed, was off the scale on 8/12 when it has its day-after-tomorrow superstorm, clear outlier for depth then ...

48E25A64-2AE4-499B-84B0-45D12C5F776D.thumb.gif.3451ddc7c58e1954cba048a70d9dace7.gif

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wild!

Phenomonal runs from all models. Looking at Nlys next week from wednesday onwards for us up in tbe western isles. We do need to be careful of that low pressure around the 8th. The 12z had it superdeep/extreme and given the different in temp between North and South.. I eouldnt be surprised to see severe gales for the UK... where is anyones guess!

Nick that superstorm is just a breeze for us hardy folks on the Isle of Lewis. Lol

• Like 4

Posted

Before everyone starts dusting the sledge off I'd urge a lowering of expectations given not just the timeframe but the disagreements between the big 3.

Even if all 3 agreed at this range the low track and highest risk area will likely change between outputs. These set ups are notoriously difficult to forecast with much accuracy 5 days out.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted

There are some cracking ensembles to view. After the bareness of the last 4 winters an almost countrywide snow event bringing 6 to 12 inches of snow would go some way to compensate but if it all implodes and we end up dry and cold with the wishbone effect then that would really rub salt into the still open wounds of the last few years.

Posted

The key to next Thursday/Friday is the timing of the Atlantic low hitting the cold coming in from the north. The GFS 18Z and UKMO 12Z were pretty much a bullseye. Still 5 days out though - if that bullseye is still being hit in 48 hours then get the sledge ready - even if it isn't the bullseye, some parts of the country will probably go white anyway.

BTW, ECM ensembles don't really amplify as much as the others by T168 (op well supported tonight)

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2017120112_168.

but the pattern of deep trough east or over us, ridge west gets set by D10

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2017120112_240.

leaving us coldies but reliant on the build up of a cold pool in advance for further snow events - probably just on the wrong side on this run but it's close

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing fog heatwave thunderstorm
2 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Before everyone starts dusting the sledge off I'd urge a lowering of expectations given not just the timeframe but the disagreements between the big 3.

Even if all 3 agreed at this range the low track and highest risk area will likely change between outputs. These set ups are notoriously difficult to forecast with much accuracy 5 days out.

Hi I'm new to this but would it be better to see if the low/northerly still shows after the weekend say 12z sunday/00z Monday to have some confidence in the output. We have all been here before and not all models agree. I love the snow and cold but it scares me to get too excited so I lower my expectations so I would wait while after the weekend what's your take on this nick regards stefan .