Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - cold spell to end Autumn

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread. 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Thank you!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Mild mush incoming at T+216...help:help:

216_mslp850uk.png

216_mslp850.png

240_mslp850uk.png

240_thickuk.png

flowersnowdrop.JPG

200.gif

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 1

Posted

It's a good job the ecm isn't the king of models and has the highest verification stats. Sorry what was that  oh. In all seriousness in its early frames it was certainly a move towards the gfs. However was scuppered  around t 144 with that shortwave.  As we were chaps . Eyes down for the pub run 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Mild mush incoming at T+216...help:help:

Now where's that 'reverse zonality' gone when we need it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

Think we have all seen enough to realise if EC is correct the metoffice will be hastily re writing their update tomorrow.

The most knee jerk reaction in this thread. Not needed take it somewhere else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

It could easily be wrong just as it could easily be right...... only time will tell 

The ECM would have to be monumentally wrong to give any chance of a Northerly next week, i have been model watching for over a decade and I can't hardly remember a time where a T+120 ECM chart has been that monumentally wrong. Remember, we are a small island, if the jet pushes everything 200 miles East, we miss out and the cold goes East.

Time will of course tell, but it's looking increasingly likely that our ship has sailed as the jet fires up due to the bitter cold sweeping into the US and Canada over the weekend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, ShortWaveHell said:

Well the ECM put a double or nothing knife edge bet on at 168 and cleared its bank account .. now into days 8-9 it’s re mortgaged the house and now the bailiffs have arrived in a daffodil filled garden ! 

Absolute quality. Cheers for that 

Posted
Just now, mountain shadow said:

The ECM would have to be monumentally wrong to give any chance of a Northerly next week, i have been model watching for over a decade and I can't hardly remember a time where a T+120 ECM chart has been that monumentally wrong. Remember, we are a small island, if the jet pushes everything 200 miles East, we miss out and the cold goes East.

Time will of course tell, but it's looking increasingly likely that our ship has sailed as the jet fires up due to the bitter cold sweeping into the US and Canada over the weekend.

It was wrong enough for me to wake up one morning and easterly at 96 completely vanished

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
12 minutes ago, weirpig said:

It's a good job the ecm isn't the king of models and has the highest verification stats. Sorry what was that  oh. In all seriousness in its early frames it was certainly a move towards the gfs. However was scuppered  around t 144 with that shortwave.  As we were chaps . Eyes down for the pub run 

Yes certainly no-done deal...

However! 

The atlantic ridge is fast becoming-via output, an atlantic mobility conveyor! 

And relaxing via shortwaving, to the west of iberia/atlantic.

And certainly cannot be ignored now!

The upstream pattern is becoming bad to the eye also.

And with a eastern seaboard trough taking the states into winter 'proper'..

The alarm bells are certainly ringing!!!

But-as again we wait and see!!!???

Edited by tight isobar

Posted
2 minutes ago, SN0WM4N said:

The most knee jerk reaction in this thread. Not needed take it somewhere else.

Why? If EC is correct dont you think they will be re writing their update? Becasue their update will be massively wrong.

I didnt say EC was correct, did i?

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, SN0WM4N said:

It was wrong enough for me to wake up one morning and easterly at 96 completely vanished

Yup, that's one of the times I remember.

:-)

Posted
1 minute ago, mountain shadow said:

Yup, that's one of the times I remember.

:-)

Still hurts to this day

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

The difference between the ECM 12hrs run and 00 hrs in the later stages is unbelievable . 

Upstream it’s all over the place. 

Then it ejects the main trough from the eastern USA which means it’s completely lost the plot .

Stick it’s later output in the cat litter tray. 

I hope you are correct Nick. However, it shows an all too familiar tale of the double whammy sucker blow to the UK - US goes frigid, we defrost rapidly! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms
4 minutes ago, SN0WM4N said:

I remember that very well too. There will be so many more changes in the next 24 hours let alone a few days. It’s very much up in the air atm, could go either way.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
10 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Think we have all seen enough to realise if EC is correct the metoffice will be hastily re writing their update tomorrow.

Going against 85% of the GEFS and the Meto outlook as you say so I would be highly sceptical of this run unless it garners support from the 18z and 0z suites tomorrow morning.

I will go out on a limb and say it will be very much at the mild end of the EC ensembles...

• Like 2

gensnh-11-5-240.png.045fc612e5c879594eae    Now where have I seen this before?   Oh yes.....

da14838477_20149201_o2.gif  

Sorry MODS, not like me to do that, I must be suffering from model fatigue. One of @nick sussex 's short waves off the Falkland Islands, crossed the Equator and thoroughly disrupted me!

I'll be back with a serious report at the weekend.

Edited by Guest

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
1 minute ago, Kentish Snowman said:

Going against 85% of the GEFS and the Meto outlook as you say so I would be highly sceptical of this run unless it garners support from the 18z and 0z suites tomorrow morning.

I will go out on a limb and say it will be very much at the mild end of the EC ensembles...

Should be.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Snow/Hail & Strong Winds

This thread has been somewhat hostile at the moment. This is a 'model output' thread, not a thread to display your weather wishes. I think people really need to consider whether what there posting is of any use (Ie contains some scientific knowledge to it, or more importantly some more open minded analysis). 

• Like 8

Posted

According to the ecm the twin energy flows from the Canadian lobe and the southern States continue to cause downstream major problems starting quite early in the piece,

At T120 troughs are running around Greenland and sinking south into central Europe between the two high cells whilst energy from the eastern seaboard is putting the high cell to the west of Cornwall under pressure with a W/NW flow over the UK with temps maybe a little above average

The pressure continues and by T144 there is a deep surface low in mid Atlantic and another off the north west coast of Norway with the high cell hanging in there south of the UK and attempting to ridge north west.A little frontal wave associated with the low to the west has sneaked around the high and is impacting Scotland

Over the next 24 hours there appears to be some renewed amplification and the front moves very little giving quite a wet 24 hours for Scotland  But the amplification does briefly reinforce the HP to the west so that by T192 a narrow ridge is orientated N/S over the UK and the front squeezed south the France/Belgium

But, you have guessed it,  the ridge rapidly comes under pressure from the Atlantic driven by 150kt jet out of the eastern seaboard.

ecm_mslp_uv850_natl_6.thumb.png.b33d3bcb0c38efba74861b3ebcaf1673.pngecm_mslp_uv850_natl_7.thumb.png.6e32289c9e854b9724ae490dea199f5b.pngecm_mslp_uv850_natl_8.thumb.png.bed00d05de5ffaa718d779133c515054.png

ecm_t850a_5d_natl_11.thumb.png.329374c9d23638f8d2f54ee914f84319.png

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2