Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - cold spell to end Autumn

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread. 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Thank you!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms
Just now, Man With Beard said:

Michael's tweet in no way contradicts my take on the means:

When there is a large anomoly on a mean chart, it is very useful. It could indicate an even more extreme median, since any outlier ensemble members closer to the norm will take the edge off the anomaly

When anomalies are small, it is less useful as ensembles could be clustering more tightly, or there could be a large split either way.

I’ve just posted that in the strat thread, could you explain what it means and the implications 

cheers

Posted
9 minutes ago, RAIN RAIN RAIN said:

Examples and steps are lower than winter first ... So I think there is a chance to have another goal during the month. Gefs and Eps are updating the stratosphere related to the second part of November 3 and good ideas from Wave 1 are rising briefly in the next few days. This underscores weakened weaknesses and causes stratosphere near Alaska. These include sunflower model and red polar. At the same time, we have a large hole in the North Pacific Ocean and north of the North Atlantic to prepare. Miracles of miraculous use are the finest appearance found in late September and October (ie restoration) and slow movement (second sign, big sign). It is important to look at the amount of cold fever that can be shattered in the northwest.

(Translated from North Korean)

Posted
1 minute ago, fromey said:

I’ve just posted that in the strat thread, could you explain what it means and the implications 

cheers

With regards to Michael's tweet, I am absolutely not the best person to answer this but I guess it means the normal volatile cold, stormy weather associated with northern latitudes in winter getting pushed further south??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I think people are turning mad in this thread.  Anyway  Met still seem to be pushing the colder regime next week infact its quite a update with snow and heavy mentioned in the same sentence.   hopefully over the next day or so we will start to see some agreement with this evolution within the various models.  Much better than last year already   and its still only Autumn.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Although later on Friday and especially this weekend will see a weak warm front from the northwest introducing slightly milder air brushing around the top of atlantic high pressure and down across the uk, it looks like we will see another cold / arctic plunge / meridional flow returning during next week as was shown on the Gfs 00z / 6z...with snow showers, frosty / icy nights and high windchill factor..Fingers crossed!:santa-emoji::D

DPyqi-vW4AATDwR.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Michael's tweet in no way contradicts my take on the means:

When there is a large anomoly on a mean chart, it is very useful. It could indicate an even more extreme median, since any outlier ensemble members closer to the norm will take the edge off the anomaly

When anomalies are small, it is less useful as ensembles could be clustering more tightly, or there could be a large split either way.

Quite but that in no way contradicts my main point on all of this which is that the means, clusters, teleconnections, the Strat and the retrograde orbit of Mars are all tools in the box and if used correctly and in context are all useful in attempting to unravel the complexities of the atmosphere. .Definitive and categorical statements about any one of the these along the lines of. "as much use as a choc olate fireguard", have no place in a scientific forum

Edited by knocker
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms
6 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Although later on Friday and especially this weekend will see a weak warm front from the northwest introducing slightly milder air brushing around the top of atlantic high pressure and down across the uk, it looks like we will see another cold / arctic plunge / meridional flow returning during next week as was shown on the Gfs 00z / 6z...with snow showers, frosty / icy nights and high windchill factor..Fingers crossed!:santa-emoji::D

DPyqi-vW4AATDwR.jpeg

Which model does this go with???

Posted
13 minutes ago, fromey said:

cheers

I assume he is saying that this could plunge arctic air south in cold troughs in similar fashion to the one illustrated over eastern North America in other areas such as north west Europe.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
23 minutes ago, Cloud 10 said:

The GFS op and control run are run at a higher resolution than the other GEFS members,so in theory they should verify better.

I don't believe that this is correct.

As I understand it, the op is run at a high resolution and the control at a lower resolution.

The 'GEFS members' are run with slightly adjusted starting data (and also at a lower resolution).

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Luke Best said:

As I understand it, the op is run at a high resolution and the control at a lower resolution.

The 'GEFS members' are run with slightly adjusted starting data (and also at a lower resolution).

yep as follows

Operational run = high resolution model, no change to initial conditions

Control run = as operational model but a lower resolution model (i.e. less horizontal and vertical grid points)

Ensemble runs = the lower resolution model (same as control run) but with small changes to initial condtions

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, fromey said:

Probably the 12z suite, which we don't see until 3.30

Maybe the pros see it roll out at the time it is run??

Posted
15 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

DPyqi-vW4AATDwR.jpeg

Given the UK is roughly only 250 miles wide it doesn't take much for us to miss out.

Another crucial set of runs beckon.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.
1 minute ago, russell k said:

I believe they do see as it rolls out. We will see if it is the12Z in a couple of hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.
1 minute ago, mountain shadow said:

Given the UK is roughly only 250 miles wide it doesn't take much for us to miss out.

This is why we should tow the UK 100 miles further north and nudge it east a tad.

• Like 2

Posted

I think most posters on here know where our weather is heading from the middle of next week and that is into the freezer. It could be for quite some time as well.

should be an excellent afternoon and evenings model watching.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
11 minutes ago, fromey said:

UKMO168 Chart previously posted hinted at this

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
7 minutes ago, russell k said:

To avoid any confusion that image Frosty posted is from yesterday's weekly forecast from the beeb it is not based on model data from today

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
5 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

To avoid any confusion that image Frosty posted is from yesterday's weekly forecast from the beeb it is not based on model data from today

Seems a bit selective nevertheless to delete my post!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
10 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Well it's just a snapshot of what could happen but I do think another cold plunge will return next week similar to earlier Gfs and which has just been reinforced by the latest update from Exeter which is going for cold / blocked pattern with increasingly snow showers, frosts and ice..lovely jubbly!☺???:cold:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, Luke Best said:

The control runs at the same res throughout - the other 19 members drop resolution after T192. The op is high res till day 10 and lower thereafter - I have a funny feeling it drops to the same level as the control at that point 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: coldie
25 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

The control runs at the same res throughout - the other 19 members drop resolution after T192. The op is high res till day 10 and lower thereafter - I have a funny feeling it drops to the same level as the control at that point 

This may seem a daft question (I'm still but a novice at this) but why aren't all members just run at high Resolution.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
3 minutes ago, Dacyfo said:

This may seem a daft question (I'm still but a novice at this) but why aren't all members just run at high Resolution.

I suspect due to the huge amount of computing power required to do so.

• Like 1

Latest CFS model brings the high pressure over southern & central UK next week stopping the cold returning and instead bringing milder weather across the whole of the UK & Ireland. 

All a case of wait and see, although it's very likely the weather will turn less cold this weekend but we lose the sunshine and wintry showers and replace it with a lot of cloud and some patchy rain from weak weather fronts. 

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Like 2