Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

2011 - an uneventful year

Philipsfd

I've been thinking back over the last few years and is it fair to say that 2011 was one of the most uneventful or uninteresting as far as the weather goes? Every year has its moments and this year isn't an exception; the big thing from what I remember was the glorious final week of September which culminated in the record warmth on October 1st. There was also the warm, dry April (the second half being fantastic) and a very brief and not particularly intense heatwave towards the end of June. Were there any other notable events this year? I'm struggling to remember much snow or cold weather at either end of the year, no notable storms IIRC. It also seemed a poor summer; not much in the way of heat, storms or sun but no extreme rain either like in 2007 or 2012. Mediocre sums up the summer and the whole year itself from what I can remember.

Edited by Philipsfd

Posted

Off the top of my head;

January - A generally blocked month and cold in the north

February - Very mild and generally frost free

March - Mild but with a dramatic incursion of arctic air in the north

April - Remarkably warm

May - Warm?

June - Chilly nights

July - Chilly

August - ??

September - End of the month heatwave

October - Mega heatwave at the start

November - Very mild

December - Quite mild but I seem to remember it being cold and wintry in the north

Not a year for cold but some very interesting changes in weather.

Posted
1 hour ago, Philipsfd said:

I've been thinking back over the last few years and is it fair to say that 2011 was one of the most uneventful or uninteresting as far as the weather goes? Every year has its moments and this year isn't an exception; the big thing from what I remember was the glorious final week of September which culminated in the record warmth on October 1st. There was also the warm, dry April (the second half being fantastic) and a very brief and not particularly intense heatwave towards the end of June. Were there any other notable events this year? I'm struggling to remember much snow or cold weather at either end of the year, no notable storms IIRC. It also seemed a poor summer; not much in the way of heat, storms or sun but no extreme rain either like in 2007 or 2012. Mediocre sums up the summer and the whole year itself from what I can remember.

I posted a thread back in 2013 on forgettable years. 2011 did feature as on of them

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

It was pretty uneventful, but the very dry April was a noteworthy event, even if there wasn't much actual weather to talk about. In Leeds we had 1mm of rain for the entire month and 0 days of rain >1mm. Remarkable really.

Posted

1 ice day and light snow grains in January,very sharp frosts end of the month.

http://wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/2011/Rrea00120110128.gif

February damaging storm 54mean gusting to 90mph highest gust mid wales.

http://old.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/2011/Rrea00120110204.gif

March just a few frosts.

April a very thundery day indeed for april.

http://wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/2011/Rrea00120110423.gif

May very windy day from the east.

http://wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/2011/Rrea00120110502.gif

July 22nd an overhead whirlwind.

http://wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/2011/Rrea00120110722.gif

August a violent night thunderstorm just before midnight so this chart is spot on for time.

http://wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/2011/Rrea00120110819.gif

September there was a severe gale 76mph highest gust mid wales.

http://wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/2011/Rrea00120110912.gif

October/November nothing to remember.

December a minor cold snap.

Ah you've reminded me now of the February gale, only in Manchester I think it happened on the 7th; not quite in the league of Doris in terms of destruction though. I remember the brief stormy spell in April too; around here it was Good Friday evening and the heavy rain just seemed to come without much notice or warning, following a number of very warm and dry days; it hadn't been humid. Here in Manchester, May Bank Holiday was warm and sunny for a change, the Spring BH was cool and unsettled and the August BH was an afternoon washout bookended by a bright morning and evening.

I seem to remember the December not being particularly mild, like it was last year or the year before for instance, but still not as cool as 2012 or 2014. Scratching the surface of the late Autumn period of November and early December, it was dull in the main but I seem to remember we had a run of warm and sunny Sundays which broke up the grey blanket which covered most of the weekdays.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

2011 an unremarkable year? I don't think so, personally. January wasn't very eventful, but then came a very mild February. Then a remarkably dry spring in the south including that freakishly warm April. While the drought continued across the south May brought unusually wet weather across Scotland, with some late-gales around the 23rd which brought quite a lot of disruption. After this the summer was mostly a damp squib but I do remember some very severe thunderstorms on the 5th of June which brought more rainfall across Kent than during the past month or two! There were more severe storms on the 28th June, 2011 across kent which were quite striking. Does anyone else remember these?  Things turned unseasonably warm at the end of September which brought that record-breaking day on the 1st of October. Then came the second-mildest November on record which in parts was exceptionally dry, then December which was actually quite a mild month with a violent stormy spell across Scotland on the 8th with a gust of 165mph at Cairngorm. Then Christmas was one of the mildest on record with temperatures as high as 15.1 degrees. I believe it was one of the wettest years on record across Scotland, while across the Midlands it was very dry. A vile year for weather, apart from pleasantly cool summer. ;) 

Edited by LetItSnow!

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

The 2011 calendar year was a break in the middle of a run of colder, snowier winters from 2008/09 to 2012/13 - for the south at least. 

There was no snow to speak of as far as I can remember. Before and after 2011 there was Feb 2009, December 2009, Jan 2010, November & December 2010, Feb 2012 and Jan 2013 which all had big snow events. 

The April was obviously a standout for glorious weather, but was it as good or hot as April 2007? I seem to remember the April being pretty decent every year between '06 and '11 (barring the brief snowy cold spell in 2008), until of course the 2012 washout.

Edited by Philipsfd

Posted
32 minutes ago, Philipsfd said:

The April was obviously a standout for glorious weather, but was it as good or hot as April 2007? I seem to remember the April being pretty decent every year between '06 and '11 (barring the brief snowy cold spell in 2008), until of course the 2012 washout.

It came out warmer for the CET, but in these parts 2007 was notably sunnier and seemed more "settled". 

As for the other Aprils, 2010 had that wonderfully clear week when the Icelandic volcano went up, 2009 was pretty unremarkable (though quite mild), 2006 was a bit of a damp squib (not as wet as 2012 but pretty disappointing, and lacking any real warmth), then since 2012 they have been pretty good (2015 was even sunnier than 2007, it just lacked any 20C+ days which would have made it memorable). However here it was 2012 that was the one to produce snow, with a cover on the morning of the 4th that was almost the only snow here of the 11/12 "winter".

• 6 years later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Mentioned 2011 in the other thread but thought i'd post in a more dedicated thread to it.

I have next to no memories of it, but in Coventry it was the second driest year (460.2mm) after 1921 (440.9mm), records go back to 1892. In comparison the wettest year was 1912 with 940mm.

Other more notable things include the coolest summer since 1993 / 1988 in the CET region.

Warmth / dryness occuring at the "wrong" times of this year, in April and late September although in April it's doesn't feel as "wrong" as having it in early October i'd say, but it would be more preferable in summer.

Posted

I find it remarkable how cool and dry the summer was, quite an odd combination. Must've been a horror show for warm fans, with the only appreciable amount of warmth being a 2-day spell at the end of June. The heatwave at the end of September into October was more prolonged and warmer.. and with a record breaking warm April, such a strange year for weather. 

You could make some comparisons with 2011 and 2023, as all the warmth was outside of its usual months being July/August. 2023 also had a CET record for September, same with April 2011. Big difference is the rainfall, 2023 being exceptionally wet. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Boring Summer, boring winter months. Only memorable weather event was the late September/early October heatwave, which was pretty remarkable.

Edit: actually, April and much of May was very nice. Warm and sunny. 

Edited by danm

Posted

What I remember about 2011 was that in every month from April to October, somewhere in Britain had its highest temperature of that year.

Posted

An uninteresting year weatherwise, April heat and the late Sept plume the only noteworthy stand out events. The summer was poor. A mild non- descript Autumn other than lots of rain and mild weather..Jan- March devoid of interest. Along with 2002 most uninspiring years of 21st century weatherwise. 

Posted

Yep 2011 is definitely the worst year of the 2010’s for me. It was a terrible year for any summer heat and long sunshine other than that April. Memories for me include.

January - It continued very cold until the the 13th and we finally lost our snow cover on the 18th. (We had a continuous snow cover from 25th November until the 18th January). I only remember one snow event that year and that was on the 8th the rest was just the leftover snow from that exceptional December. The rest of the month was just boring and dull.

February - Very mild and wet my worst winter combination there was very little frost all month. I remember it snowing on the 20th quite heavy but I didn’t last long at all. Not quite as bad as February 2002 but was definitely the worst one since then and I would say the next as bad would’ve been 2017.

March - Quite a mild and sunny month from memory, although I remember it being very snowy one weekend I think it was the 12th. It was brief but a notably cold spell of weather and then it warmed up quite rapidly soon after. Do remember there being quite a lot of pleasant weather during the month but few warmer days. 

April - Phenomenal month, probably the only good month of the whole year. Exceptionally warm (maxima of 16.6.C) and it was also very dry and sunny although April 2007 was both slightly drier and sunnier. It was consistently warm and sunny pretty much after about the 5th. I remember the 14th and 23rd being cool and wet but I think every other day was warm and sunny the warmest day was on the 10th with 23.1.C. April 2007 and 2003 both had slightly warmer highs but I’ve yet to record a higher reading since then.

May - Quite an unsettled month. It was very westerly. Western and northern Scotland got absolutely hammered with rain, it was only slightly wetter than average for me and it was actually a little sunnier than average but the weather was very showery and quite windy at times. It was very windy on the 23rd with gale force winds. 

June - A very warm start and finish was sandwiched between a long cool period of weather. There was quite a few cool nights in the second week with temperatures well down into single figures, the third week was very wet and there was a big thunderstorm on the 19th. The last week turned very pleasant, warm and sunny. 

July - A month quite similar to June it had a warm and sunny start before turning cooler and unsettled from the 4th. There was very heavy rain on the 6th which brought some flooding to Perth where I stay. Unlike June there was still some pleasantly warm and sunny days thrown in but there was some very chilly nights throughout the month. There was another day on the 16th with more flooding. After the 24th the weather turned a lot more settled and heat started to build but not to a excessive degree.

August - A cool, wet and dull month. Very little memory from it but it was the third coolest August I’ve recorded only 2017 and 2020 have been colder. Can’t recall much at all from the month other than very rare warm, sunny days.

September - Pretty unsettled for most of the month until the final week where it had some very warm and sunny weather. I actually recorded my warmest day of the year of the 30th with a high of 25.4.C.

October - Not much to note of that month at all. Seemed like a typical October, a few days of mild and wet weather, a quieter colder spell,  some more rain and then the occasional sunny day.

November - Extremely mild, by far the warmest November I recorded although I do think 1994 was probably slightly warmer. Again like October not really much to note from the month. I don’t remember there being any frosts or cold weather or much heavy rain.

December - Briefly cold and frost to begin then generally very mild and wet, it was especially mild around Christmas. Christmas Day was exceptionally mild.

Generally a forgettable year.

Posted

Summer of 95 April 2008 wasn’t especially great from memory, although the late snowfalls were quite interesting. Very little warm weather during that month. I did prefer April 2007 to 2011 mind you. 2009 was a good April, remember it being consistently mild rather than any very warm weather. I didn’t record a maximum higher than 19.C but also I only had three days where the maximum failed to reach 10.C. 2010 was very pleasant as well but did have some cold weather during it. Then after 2011 the next good April was 2015 and then after that 2019.