Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stratosphere and Polar Vortex Watch

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

At 237 hours

00_237_arctic10 Stratosphere temperatures forecasted at 237 hours.png

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, iceman1991 said:

So guys is there a ssw on the way mid December or end ??

An intriguing question for sure..

What is abundantly clear is the PV is under attack!

Posted
34 minutes ago, iceman1991 said:

Or not at all ..............

Seems more than feasible that an ssw isn’t required this winter to bring nw Europe some deep cold 

• Like 1

Posted
42 minutes ago, iceman1991 said:

There is a warming currently forecast on the Canadian side but what interests me is the possibility of another warming soon after on the Eurasian side as shown on the GFS OP and Parallel. Of coarse its far out so still possible it may not happen or the warming won't be as strong as currently shown but either way its a interesting time. 

• Like 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Or not at all ..............

Seems more than feasible that an ssw isn’t required this winter to bring nw Europe some deep cold 

I'm not so convinced anymore a ssw is a precursor to cold, looking at the dates of known ssws, they mostly seem to occur after cold periods and after many ssws we didn't get a new cold event here in Western Europe 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.earth-syst-sci-data.net/9/63/2017/essd-9-63-2017.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjnqa2-ioHfAhWH66QKHU6ADfIQFjAAegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw2c8j-xVmsFCgg4w3OeL3qf

• Like 2

Posted

Just stumbled on this tweet, it seems my above feelings were right, a displacement leads to warmth in Europe, we need a split or no ssw at all

Edited by ArHu3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder , Lightning , Snow , Blizzards
12 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

‘It’s not always that simple’ .........

btw, gefs getting v toasty nw late on ...... vortex v displaced to Siberia and ridge over Canada 

If it was to move and heights were to rise in its place , would that cause more warming / distress in the strat ?

Posted
6 minutes ago, Raythan said:

If it was to move and heights were to rise in its place , would that cause more warming / distress in the strat ?

Any amplification in th trop will lead to more stress on the strat ........

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

May I ask a numpty question …..been reading the Solar thread and it seems the unusually quiet Sun is having quite an impact on the thermosphere, producing cooling. What (if any) impact will this have on the stratosphere?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 hour ago, jethro said:

May I ask a numpty question …..been reading the Solar thread and it seems the unusually quiet Sun is having quite an impact on the thermosphere, producing cooling. What (if any) impact will this have on the stratosphere?

Thank you, Jethro. That's a question I would have asked, myself, had I not been afraid of feeling a right twit!

Posted
20 minutes ago, Glacier Point said:

FWIW, UK Met model showing a full on warming event for end of the year, as is CFS (which has continued to do so for the last few weeks).

That's not wholly surprising given long lead thoughts of stratospheric behaviour and this plot which, if verified, would be signalling a stratospheric warming within 9 days:

NH_HGT_10mb_360.thumb.gif.f44dfb2496b728b49a03e0d3473cb5a2.gif

This is a displacement right? From what I understood is that these displacements are generally very unfavorable for cold in western Europe

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
18 minutes ago, ArHu3 said:

This is a displacement right? From what I understood is that these displacements are generally very unfavorable for cold in western Europe

Depends where the displacement is, with the above chart you can see the vortex push right over to Siberia due to the Wave being more of Canadian warming which if memory serves me correctly lead Dec 2010.

This is beginning to show in the GFS, retrogression of our Scandi block to somewhere more Greenland bound as the PV looks likely to set-up shop NE leading to a potential of a more northern cold blast. There's a lot of water to flow under the bridge first but the GFS is playing with it so clearly some kind of signal is at play.

But I agree that a split is much better for us rather than just a displacement.

Edited by Snowman.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Continuing on the Wave 1 shown at T0 is your standard Wave 1 which pushes the PV closer to our north.

https://www.instantweathermaps.com/GFS/2018120306/NH_HGT_10mb_000.gif

Similar to that of December 2015 which wasn't very pleasant in terms of weather for us here. PV while under some stress was just displaced into our vicinity which caused some horribly stormy weather.

Edited by Snowman.
  • Like 1