Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stratosphere and Polar Vortex Watch

Paul

Posted
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I know i was very confident of a severe Easterly about 1 months before based on some of the GFS FI strat charts, i told my mates to expect something severe in February in terms of snow, i cannot prove my thoughts because i was banned off the forum for the whole month so i only started posting again on 1st March with a good few inches of snow and drifting and a severe wind chill outside.

Appreciate that but my point was that it didn't model it correctly then so there's a chance it may not be again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
18 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

That would have been the old op, not the V3 which was running in parallel at the time. i think its the reliability of the V3 which is being questioned 

Sorry, the context was not to compare with the FV3, but to point out that all the strat models flipped massively inside one day. It comes from the Lee et al. anticyclonic wave breaking paper.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Just now, ALL ABOARD said:

Appreciate that but my point was that it didn't model it correctly then so there's a chance it may not be again.

To be clear by the way, all i am writing off at the moment is an SSW for a good few weeks, not a severe spell of cold weather for the rest of winter.

Posted
5 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

biggest worry is only the odd straggler had an SSW in late winter too, need to hope the GLOSEA5 performs like it did last year.

I thought GLOSEA5 picked up on the SSW quite well last winter, just didn’t benefit us?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, Don said:

I thought GLOSEA5 picked up on the SSW quite well last winter, just didn’t benefit us?

It did well in the strat but must of modelled cold spells because surely if it were at odds with the EC46, the Met Office wouldn't have been so bullish about the Easterly for so long, it must have mis-modelled a QTR or some kind of pattern that would have gave us a cold Easterly as 'Easterly' and 'Snow' were words that were rarely missing from the updates.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
29 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

It did well in the strat but must of modelled cold spells because surely if it were at odds with the EC46, the Met Office wouldn't have been so bullish about the Easterly for so long, it must have mis-modelled a QTR or some kind of pattern that would have gave us a cold Easterly as 'Easterly' and 'Snow' were words that were rarely missing from the updates.

I think last year messed with all of us, pros included, wasn't the problem that the vortex split into three which left one bit really badly placed for us?

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Mike Poole said:

I think last year messed with all of us, pros included, wasn't the problem that the vortex split into three which left one bit really badly placed for us?

They were expecting it to move down through the strat layers: it didn't do that till it split properly in February and even then it was a slow process that left us with a cold spring and all the persistent summer -NAO. Just looking at the charts, I'm wondering if the zonal spell will be as bad as some are thinking. The vortex is well north of Canada and in a position to bring polar shots from the NNW rather than usual due westerlies.

• Like 7

Posted
1 minute ago, Gael_Force said:

They were expecting it to move down through the strat layers: it didn't do that till it split properly in February and even then it was a slow process that left us with a cold spring and all the persistent summer -NAO. Just looking at the charts, I'm wondering if the zonal spell will be as bad as some are thinking. The vortex is well north of Canada and in a position to bring polar shots from the NNW rather than usual due westerlies.

Yes, agreed, NW or NNW flow, with a strong jet running to the south is something I've been musing for a while, might not be utterly freezing (and unlikely to deliver much snow to my vicinity) but would deliver for many further north, I would expect.  But IMBY concerns aside, it will be fascinating to see how this winter evolves, and who predicted it!!

• Like 4

Posted

Wave #2 action pepping up as we head through Dec?

27-ecmwfzm_ha2_f240.thumb.gif.02b908d6504e811444b461af4dacf734.gif

Also, I've definately seen worse U wind forecast profiles...

ecmwfzm_u_f240.thumb.gif.5290715975d27c40f696f15a28235480.gif

Edited by s4lancia
  • Like 7

Posted
2 minutes ago, s4lancia said:

Wave #2 action pepping up as we head through Dec?

27-ecmwfzm_ha2_f240.thumb.gif.02b908d6504e811444b461af4dacf734.gif

Also, I've definately seen worse U wind forecast profiles...

ecmwfzm_u_f240.thumb.gif.5290715975d27c40f696f15a28235480.gif

Indeed, normally we would salivating over the latter chart with almost a full reversal over the pole.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate
1 hour ago, Glacier Point said:

Looks to me as if the early winter skirmishes are confirming two things:

• stratospheric polar vortex weaker than normal;
  • stratospheric polar vortex displaced towards the Siberian Sector.

That should temper enthusiasm for proper early season cold across Europe as it doesn't favour sufficient blocking strength to displace cold air masses south and westwards to the degree necessary.

Tropospherically, our low frequency base state, which is nicely evident across OLR anomaly fields in the Tropics....

olr_anom_7day.thumb.gif.56d75a363c508609b4bc8f1986bcf5a5.gif

... is about to undergo destructive interference in the next two weeks as a more coherent convective wave develops and pushes further east. This is a good signal for the PV to rev up a bit and westerly influence extend across the North Atlantic.

When this relaxes, the low frequency state should take hold again on the hemispheric pattern. Deep upper low in the North / North-east Pacific a facet of this which should to further reinforcement of the weaker and displaced (Wave 1) SPV.

Weak level blocking expected to re-establish to our north and north-east within a broadly north-west flow regime for second half of December. It will be interesting to see how much angular momentum rebounds in the next 2 weeks after being driven to lowish values of late, as this will be key to how much amplification in the upper level flow across the Pacific and Atlantic can be generated to tease out Arctic air masses within that regime.

@Glacier Point, nice to hear your thoughts, would something like this from latest CFS weeks 3 and 4 reflect your thoughts well, re. blocking to north, north/east?

wk3.wk4_20191126.z500.gif

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

From the beeb today in the LFR

However, we are still monitoring the Arctic stratosphere, as there is a chance that developments here could lead to a spell of colder weather in December. At the moment, whilst there is some uncertainty in the forecast, we don't see any long, drawn out spells of wintry weather developing.

You read it in full in the media thread. It's in the last section after the General Election forecast.

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/69782-weather-in-the-general-media-newspaper-features-etc/page/248/?tab=comments#comment-4103736

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

• Like 1

Posted

Well if today's 0z output is anything to go by on stratobserve plots, then the signal for a SSW is increasing amongst ensemble members:

image.thumb.jpg.fdc35f9ea9cec21afaed08a1c5875abd.jpg

The stand off with the op run continues, however.  

image.thumb.jpg.3c97731b455d87c7b4f8c5b795bf9b7c.jpg

8 runs showing reversal at T384, and some hinting at a split, and this is up from two days ago, so could be a red herring, but could also be GEFS sniffing something, we will see...

• Like 8

Posted

Good to see GEFS back to hints of an SSW again. Like @Mike Poole says, hopefully GFS comes on board soon as well.

Does anybody know why the Amy Butler graph is no longer updating with GEFS forecast? (it stopped about a week ago)

u_60N_10hpa_gefs.thumb.png.71ac1ea6b71cbad346a1e272d17569a4.png

Edit: Sorry, brain fade moment, meant Hannah Attard!

Edited by s4lancia
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: Continental:Warm dry summers, cold snowy winters
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom
16 minutes ago, ALL ABOARD said:

gfsnh-10-324.thumb.png.e4341d943c7f5be179e4e9e652879c82.png

Can't be far away on this chart surely? 

My biggest concern is that it's not really interacting with the PV as it does in some other runs. Ideally we want it nudged away from the pole and even better if we can see a split. 

• Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, ALL ABOARD said:

gfsnh-10-324.thumb.png.e4341d943c7f5be179e4e9e652879c82.png

Can't be far away on this chart surely? 

Nothing hugely notable re heights - strat vortex continues to be displaced Kara/Barents 

ec op ref Berlin continues to show reversal above 70N post day 7 up to around 10 hpa by day 9/10 so good continuity here  - presumably the wave working up from the trop due to the Siberian upper ridge that gets injected into the polar field ...... crude assessment but seems logical .....

• Like 9

Posted
14 hours ago, s4lancia said:

Good to see GEFS back to hints of an SSW again. Like @Mike Poole says, hopefully GFS comes on board soon as well.

Does anybody know why the Amy Butler graph is no longer updating with GEFS forecast? (it stopped about a week ago)

u_60N_10hpa_gefs.thumb.png.71ac1ea6b71cbad346a1e272d17569a4.png

Edit: Sorry, brain fade moment, meant Hannah Attard!

After contacting her, she talked about a glitch in there system, but today it's back and working 

u_65N_10hpa_gefs.png

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, BelgiumKiwi said:

After contacting her, she talked about a glitch in there system, but today it's back and working 

u_65N_10hpa_gefs.png

When I click on the picture I get a different chart as to when I'm viewing it Normal without expanding it. One shows the mean going for a SSW the other the mean bottoming out around 10m/s?? 

Edited by ALL ABOARD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
4 minutes ago, ALL ABOARD said:

When I click on the picture I get a different chart as to when I'm viewing it Normal without expanding it. One shows the mean going for a SSW the other the mean bottoming out around 10m/s?? 

That’s last years graph when we had a ssw  , the updated one for now is only when you click on it and open it up .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
8 minutes ago, ALL ABOARD said:

The original image is for 2018/2019 and is cached by Netweather. To show an updated image, you have to append a random query string to the URL as I've done here:

u_65N_10hpa_gefs.png?v=otbc

I added ?v=otbc but you can put anything, e.g. ?v=20191128105830.

Edit: The above is for 65N, and the below is 60N.

u_60N_10hpa_gefs.png?v=otbc

Edited by Yarmy
  • Like 2