Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stratosphere and Polar Vortex Watch

Paul

Posted
On 26/10/2018 at 17:31, northwestsnow said:

Yet last Winter was a negative phase and it was a mild winter unless you count March..

There have been a fair few mild winters which have occurred during an easterly QBO, just like cold winters have occurred during westerly phases, too.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
5 minutes ago, Don said:

There have been a fair few mild winters which have occurred during an easterly QBO, just like cold winters have occurred during westerly phases, too.

Indeed.

I wonder what the 'odds' against a severe winter would be in a situation where all the teleconnections were favourable, and where all the building blocks were in place?

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
56 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Indeed.

I wonder what the 'odds' against a severe winter would be in a situation where all the teleconnections were favourable, and where all the building blocks were in place?

I would say that 2014/2015 had the best enso-qbo combination since the winter of 2009/2010. It flopped because a rampant +PDO meant we had a persistent +AO.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

I would say that 2014/2015 had the best enso-qbo combination since the winter of 2009/2010. It flopped because a rampant +PDO meant we had a persistent +AO.

Isn't the PDO trending positive now?

Posted
2 hours ago, Don said:

Isn't the PDO trending positive now?

Should be near neutral this winter.

• Thanks 1

Posted
5 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

Solar acitivity was causing the positve NAO.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, sebastiaan1973 said:

Solar acitivity was causing the positve NAO.

Although i certainly think solar activity has an impact (that winter was just after peak) i don't think it's as simple and with a weak Nino/-QBO combination i certainly don't think it outweighed it. I blame the PDO which was at record positive levels. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

Although i certainly think solar activity has an impact (that winter was just after peak) i don't think it's as simple and with a weak Nino/-QBO combination i certainly don't think it outweighed it. I blame the PDO which was at record positive levels. 

Have you got any more up to date data on the PDO than this please? If it goes neutral I will have to re-build some analogues.

https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/gcos_wgsp/Timeseries/Data/pdo.long.data

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
1 hour ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Have you got any more up to date data on the PDO than this please? If it goes neutral I will have to re-build some analogues.

https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/gcos_wgsp/Timeseries/Data/pdo.long.data

This is a little more up to date. Looking neutral at present.

http://research.jisao.washington.edu/pdo/PDO.latest.txt

Edited by Catacol
  • Like 1

On 24/10/2018 at 18:47, Leo97t said:

When did the last November warming happen 

Last full SSW - at the end of November 1968!

33 minutes ago, knocker said:

Not knocking it, but looking back this season here is a typical CFS forecast (posted by SM) -

E8CFEAB1-6FDF-4EEF-8A51-A9CED3794E57.png

And here is how it panned out on today's weatheriscool plot -

968052556_u10serie18102906.thumb.png.312d1fcdbaa358d758c17873d9076616.png

Are these CFS plots ever right?

• Like 5

Posted

Snow–atmosphere coupling in the Northern Hemisphere

Local and remote impacts of seasonal snow cover on atmospheric circulation have been explored extensively, with observational and modelling efforts focusing on how Eurasian autumn snow-cover variability potentially drives Northern Hemisphere atmospheric circulation via the generation of deep, planetary-scale atmospheric waves. Despite climate modelling advances, models remain challenged to reproduce the proposed sequence of processes by which snow cover can influence the atmosphere, calling into question the robustness of this coupling. Here, we summarize the current level of understanding of snow–atmosphere coupling, and the implications of this interaction under future climate change. Projected patterns of snow-cover variability and altered stratospheric conditions suggest a need for new model experiments to isolate the effect of projected changes in snow on the atmosphere.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41558-018-0295-6

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No surprise one of the authors was Yannick Peings, his earlier works have already shown that the data has brought into question the long term impact of the whole snow extent/advance of Cohen etc.

edit: interesting that another author is Jason Furtado who collaborated with Cohen on "The combined influences of autumnal snow and sea ice on Northern Hemisphere winters" (2016) - https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/2016GL068108

Edited by Interitus

5 hours ago, Interitus said:

Last full SSW - at the end of November 1968!

Not knocking it, but looking back this season here is a typical CFS forecast (posted by SM) -

E8CFEAB1-6FDF-4EEF-8A51-A9CED3794E57.png

And here is how it panned out on today's weatheriscool plot -

968052556_u10serie18102906.thumb.png.312d1fcdbaa358d758c17873d9076616.png

We will know in 4-6 weeks

The CFS hasnt changed all season with forecasting that significant deceleration- however it was poor at identifying the fast move to the high speed phase we are currently in-

Lucky the trop > strat are disconnected !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
55 minutes ago, Interitus said:

No surprise one of the authors was Yannick Peings, his earlier works have already shown that the data has brought into question the long term impact of the whole snow extent/advance of Cohen etc.

I witnessed a fairly pointed exchange on Twitter between Cohen and Jason Furtado a year or so back which suggested the latter is none too convinced by the idea now despite being a co-author on the original paper. Feels like everyone’s chasing shadows with these October patterns.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Yarmy said:

I witnessed a fairly pointed exchange on Twitter between Cohen and Jason Furtado a year or so back which suggested the latter is none too convinced by the idea now despite being a co-author on the original paper. Feels like everyone’s chasing shadows with these October patterns.

They were seeing new patterns in October that preceded cold european winters and looking for cause. Ice loss, leading to open water, leading to more snow in eurasia.....all taking place round last solar minimum. We're here again, maybe another chance to sort the wheat from the chaff. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

It could be that we get the early SSW while in a (more) favourable QBO state and even when the QBO strong westerly downwells, we still have a vulnerable vortex open to further attacks, it could be either a double SSW year or if we don't get an early one, we might not get one - all or nothing.

Posted
21 hours ago, Interitus said:

Not really.

The configurations and systematics of the CFSv2 model, are not really that appropriate for stratospheric forecasting beyond the normal operational range (15-16 days).

Anything beyond that should be ensemble (breeding) only.

Edited by Recretos

1 minute ago, Recretos said:

Not really.

The configurations and systematics of the CFSv2 model, are not really that appropriate for stratospheric forecasting beyond the normal operational range (15-16 days).

Anything beyond that should be ensemble (breeding) only.

Exactly 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

I don't think the CFS should ever be allowed to breed..

• Like 3