Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stratosphere and Polar Vortex Watch

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe frost, freezing fog and summer sunshine
5 minutes ago, stodge said:

Afternoon all

I fear I'm a novice at this as well and I don't understand the optimism of some on here.

To me, we are seeing (and still in FI) a strong warming from the Eurasian side - all that will do is displace the PV back to Canada where it will strengthen and re-form in situ and inevitably the trop and strat vortices will connect and the jet will fire up.

We need two or three of these to weaken the PV enough to dislodge it further west and encourage blocking either over Scandinavia or perhaps Greenland.

I accept there may be a lot else going on at different levels and at different ways but I wonder if this is where the UKMET's mild winter forecast originates - a powerful displacement which doesn't split the stratospheric PV but sends it back to Canada where it strengthens and locks us into a zonal Atlantic spell.

6 minutes ago, stodge said:

Afternoon all

I fear I'm a novice at this as well and I don't understand the optimism of some on here.

To me, we are seeing (and still in FI) a strong warming from the Eurasian side - all that will do is displace the PV back to Canada where it will strengthen and re-form in situ and inevitably the trop and strat vortices will connect and the jet will fire up.

We need two or three of these to weaken the PV enough to dislodge it further west and encourage blocking either over Scandinavia or perhaps Greenland.

I accept there may be a lot else going on at different levels and at different ways but I wonder if this is where the UKMET's mild winter forecast originates - a powerful displacement which doesn't split the stratospheric PV but sends it back to Canada where it strengthens and locks us into a zonal Atlantic spell.

Doesn't this chart posted by knocked show more of a warming over Canada though? I did see charts earlier in the week which showed a eurasian warming so not sure if something has changed or just different models showing different outcomes...

ecmwf-deterministic-nhemi-t10_anom-5028800.webp

Posted
9 minutes ago, stodge said:

Afternoon all

That is what i fear may happen.

But like you i am but a novice ...

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Is it rare to get 3 winters in a row having an ssw?

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, sundog said:

Is it rare to get 3 winters in a row having an ssw?

2/3x2/3x2/3= 8/27 consecutive 3 winters will have 3 ssws in a row 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
1 hour ago, mushymanrob said:

hi

am i correct in assuming that if we do have a ssw in mid/late december (or even early new year) and it fails to produce a cold spell for us, then its game over for a stratospheric induced cold spell for this year? do we get only 1 shot per season? or is it possible to get another warming event later in the season ?

I believe it is possible to have two SSW events during the winter, this link might help, suggests this happened in 98,99 

https://www.earth-syst-sci-data.net/9/63/2017/essd-9-63-2017.pdf 

Looking at the trop model output this morning, it may even be that this warming event, if it happens,  goes alongside a shift to a cold blocking pattern anyway.  Speculation of course, but interesting times.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

And it's certainly possible to get spells of cold, snowy weather without an SSW: 1968-69 had several (five or six?) such periods between November and March...They cannot all have been SSW-related.

• Like 4

Posted
5 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

And it's certainly possible to get spells of cold, snowy weather without an SSW: 1968-69 had several (five or six?) such periods between November and March...They cannot all have been SSW-related.

December 2010 wasn't related to a SSW either.

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Ed Stone said:

Well it was, Pete, I'm less convinced it is now for the UK.  More recently it seems to me to have been the case that the kind of major atmospheric upheaval caused by a SSW does seem increasingly to be a prerequisite for snowy weather in the south of the UK.

• Like 1

Posted

• Like 4

Posted

Whilst  Glossea  isnt at the moment showing a SSW  what it does seem to agree on is  weak zonal winds  at the start of December    Still quite a bit of interest in this for me. 

Edited by weirpig
  • Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, weirpig said:

Whilst  Glossea  isnt at the moment showing a SSW  what it does seem to agree on is  weak zonal winds  at the start of December    Still quite a bit of interest in this for me. 

You beat me to it - on the plus side you can indeed see quite a slow down in zonal winds forecast on GLOSEA into early December, fairly in line with the GEFS mean really, which may in itself be enough to help us achieve something interesting in the troposphere as per current modelling.

However, it then goes on to show a mean increase in zonal winds through the rest of the season - and given that is beyond the range of any medium range NWP suite that us mere mortals get easy, regular access to stratospherically, it could well be that the GEFS mean is indeed correct in its guidance, but in the longer term a technical SSW is never achieved.

Regardless of any of this, whilst every little helps, for as long as we see a decoupled Strat and Trop, we needn’t worry too much about the longer term Strat outlook as far as the first half of December goes for now. One does suspect though that the deeper into winter we go, the more help from above we will require - and I’m not talking divine help here.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Enormous spread on those Glosea ensembles after about D14. That's not a criticism, and it's to be expected at that range. In the shorter term, it shows a weakening of the SPV which is in concert with all the other output we see? It would be nice if we got to see the temp and GPH anomalies as the U-component of the zonal mean at 60N/65N doesn't tell the whole story.

Posted

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

I just read the mention of 1987 by Ventrice and posted in the tweet thread, very interesting. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
19 minutes ago, Griff said:

I just read the mention of 1987 by Ventrice and posted in the tweet thread, very interesting. 

Unfortunately that is Dec 1987 not Jan 1987.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Unfortunately that is Dec 1987 not Jan 1987.

I stand corrected several times  

They all seemed magnificent as a kid, or maybe I'm getting old and forgetful.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, Griff said:

I stand corrected several times  

They all seemed magnificent as a kid, or maybe I'm getting old and forgetful.

To be fair there was an SSW in Dec 87 as well (i think) and i did get a dumping of snow in Jan 88 so that was not as bad a winter for me as others although probably not relevant in this thread as i am not sure at all it was related to the stratosphere.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
50 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

To be fair there was an SSW in Dec 87 as well (i think) and i did get a dumping of snow in Jan 88 so that was not as bad a winter for me as others although probably not relevant in this thread as i am not sure at all it was related to the stratosphere.

i remember that , i remember michael fish pointing to some very cold air over scandinavia and telling us its 2got our name on it" . we had a lot of deep snow here in derby and some extremely low temps, -12c i think. but it didnt last long, from the 12th to the 20th.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
20 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

And today's NAM plot is totally different:

image.thumb.jpg.5abf8480e55e259bfb39e12011edf111.jpg

These charts change as often as the op but that's an impressive -NAO signature from the Trop all the way up into the strat!!

• Like 6

Posted
2 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

These charts change as often as the op but that's an impressive -NAO signature from the Trop all the way up into the strat!!

I think that is maybe where we are headed though....

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

And today's NAM plot is totally different:

image.thumb.jpg.5abf8480e55e259bfb39e12011edf111.jpg

Interesting ~2.5 week periodicity in the tropospheric NAM in which case the strat probably irrelevant in the forecast. Note on that run the NAM was influenced by a large cut-off high in the Arctic giving -ve AO, but there was a +ve NAO.

• Like 3