Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stratosphere and Polar Vortex Watch

Paul

Posted
16 hours ago, Recretos said:

My new animation sequence, showing the nice wave2 pressure from GFS in late terms, which are strongly tropospheric forced, by the Alaskan and Atlantic ridges

Interesting and cool animation - it nicely shows how the troposphere in this case is forcing the polar vortex aloft to be 'squeezed' by effects induced by two tropospheric ridges.

The animation also made me wonder - would it be insightful to create a similar animation of the polar vortex in terms of temperature? I would expect that if you visualize the edges of the polar vortex via temperature, you should be able to see the ascent and descent of warmings that propagate from the troposphere/upper stratosphere to the mid-stratosphere or vice-versa. In other words - it could give more insight in both the horizontal and vertical development of warmings that may or may not affect the polar vortex, including its sources.

Just to show some examples of what I am imagining - below are maps of the polar vortex at 10 hPa forecasted for 20 nov 2018 (left; with an intact vortex) and 14 feb 2018 (right; just after the SSW of 12 feb 2018). The blue line roughly delineates the line bordering the -45 degree isotherm. Arrows point towards the colder air.

In this case I imagine that the blue line below represents one 'slice' of the edge of the polar vortex in 3D. Of course the temperature threshold could be set to any value .

Afbeelding2.thumb.png.7b014e24657e3afca640bfa80b532252.pngAfbeelding1.thumb.png.90608d3a09a937d95fd33b4e8ab367ce.png

GPH (black lines) at 10 hPa at 20-11 (left - normal polar vortex) and 14-2 (right - SSW) and temperature (colors). The blue line indicates the border of the 45-degree isotherm; the arrows point towards colder air. Charts obtained via FU Berlin.

Any thoughts whether this would be something useful to do or not?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

• Like 2

Posted
5 hours ago, Dennis said:

There is some nice progress in pv ...

ecmwf1f240 (1).gif

ecmwfzm_ha2_f168.gif

ecmwfzm_vt_f240 (1).gif

For the past 3 years we have seen the same, early weakening polar vortex during November only to suddenly come back with a vengeance mid December and by the time the next wave hits and the effects downwell it's already spring

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall obviously.

IMG_5740.thumb.PNG.c6d3fc0b27f57b57d2910cace60e4e60.PNG

IMG_5743.thumb.PNG.187247205357678651f00b51f96646da.PNG

Zac Lawrence's new site is jam-packed filled with useful tools for the winter in the area of stratospheric forecasting.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Have at it folks - long week at work so these were made late on Thursday when data released onto Copernicus, if there are any corrections needed then please let me know... so busy this week it's been a blur. 

Within the doc are the ECM and UKMO strat progressions for winter, you will see that we have very different stories ahead.

@Recretos - incorporated your advice around the plot scaling by determining the original Min / Max and equalising.

@Interitus - thanks again for guiding me through my first steps into using Panoply, the ability to re-render the ESRL data into Panoply is great, I like the ESRL suite, but let's face it - Panoply makes it a whole lot cooler - like jumping from 80's graphics to the now immediately, a new perspective..

Plus - the added bonus is we rarely see UK Met stuff on twitter etc that details the strat outlook, save the under the counter musings from live glosea - it's neat to see the raw seasonal data rendered.

PS - I am mindful that this data although produced from information available on Thursday, may have been initiated earlier, thereby not incorporating in initiation the anomalous Scandi block creating the waves in the strat...

Copernicus November Seasonal.pdf

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
1 hour ago, lorenzo said:

Have at it folks - long week at work so these were made late on Thursday when data released onto Copernicus, if there are any corrections needed then please let me know... so busy this week it's been a blur. 

Within the doc are the ECM and UKMO strat progressions for winter, you will see that we have very different stories ahead.

@Recretos - incorporated your advice around the plot scaling by determining the original Min / Max and equalising.

@Interitus - thanks again for guiding me through my first steps into using Panoply, the ability to re-render the ESRL data into Panoply is great, I like the ESRL suite, but let's face it - Panoply makes it a whole lot cooler - like jumping from 80's graphics to the now immediately, a new perspective..

Plus - the added bonus is we rarely see UK Met stuff on twitter etc that details the strat outlook, save the under the counter musings from live glosea - it's neat to see the raw seasonal data rendered.

PS - I am mindful that this data although produced from information available on Thursday, may have been initiated earlier, thereby not incorporating in initiation the anomalous Scandi block creating the waves in the strat...

Copernicus November Seasonal.pdf

That's an interesting late winter pattern. Front loaded winter? Maybe not....

Posted

I dusted off the polar vortex model given the favorable pattern for activating the vertical energy transfer from the troposphere to the stratosphere and perturbing the stratospheric PV.  The model correctly predicted a weakening of the stratospheric PV for this week followed by a strengthening of the stratospheric PV in early December and then an even greater weakening of the stratospheric PV starting the third week of December.  My interpretation of the SLP anomalies coupled with the polar vortex model is that the second half of December is one period to watch for a possible significant PV disruption and that period could extend into early January.  If a significant stratospheric PV disruption does occur in late December or early January, I would be more confident in a relatively cold winter across large stretches of the NH mid-latitudes especially northern Eurasia and the Eastern US. https://www.aer.com/science-research/climate-weather/arctic-oscillation/

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate
1 hour ago, Glacier Point said:

GFS still very keen on developing a strong suppression signal for the tropics weeks 1 -2, and a very strong MJO / GWO phase 8 signal attached.

twc_globe_mjo_vp200.thumb.png.ace3d591a7cb1a4c65f8a0aef0112983.png

Twin anticyclones developing in the east Indo / Asian region, drifting slowly east and an associated downstream anticyclone impact on mountain torque and upper level flows across the eastern half of Asia. Essentially an ingredient for suppressed levels of wave activity flux, and colder air now being forecast to develop across Asia at 10 hPa.

gfs-ens_z500aMean_asia_6.thumb.png.458e0ce6646120dc1b3076ecf54839c1.pnggfs-ens_mslpaNorm_io_29.thumb.png.936c29e6d289ed1f678b44adf14e86af.png

Both GEFS and EPS in agreement on a stronger than normal North Pacific ridge in the Stratosphere to be in place in the meantime, and displacement continuing into middle part of December. This looks plausible..

NH_HGT_10mb_348.thumb.gif.98e5633b50d1cc068c4ffd11b274586f.gif

With the transition of the next MJO forecast for middle of December (passage through east India Ocean key), latter part of December would place us on full alert for stratospheric warming potential. Split vortex type.

@Glacier Point Similar passage of MJO through Indian ocean happened last year that triggered SSW,but we only felt the benefits of blocking at the end of February,woudnt we be hoping again for late winter cold,but perhaps a week or two earlier than this year? Can we rescue January re. Blocking after SSW?