Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

SE and East Anglia generalweather discussion 08/11/2017 onwards

I just get the feeling its going to be one of those frustrating situations over the next few days where when it's cold enough for snow i.e. Friday and Saturday it will be dry and when there's lots of precipitation around, i.e. Sunday/Monday it will be just slightly too warm.

I'm in the yellow warning area, just, and the track of the low on Sunday is still changing so you never know.

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Merry Xmas, To all on the South East thread. Didn't think I'd still be here, being able to celebrate Christmas, after suffering a brain haemorrhage/stroke, in September 2015. But fortunately, due

Snowline has moved back across the water now so north kent / Surrey etc back in the fray - great wrap around as well heavy snow here in Eltham -1cm , wifey just text 0.2c in NAG with heavy snow a

It is not showing 20cm for Reading whatsoever! I see he's a Reading student, I think he's trying to convince himself...

Posted Images

If we could bank some of charts and latest data as per the convos above I would because somewhere in our thread would get buried in snow and I'm not greedy and my loss could be another's gain :diablo:

Edited by Kent Blizzard
1 hour ago, James Oliver said:

Could someone explain this chart to me in idiot terms. I'm trying to teach myself using the internet....

I'm new and trying...

sunday.png

Given that no-one else has replied...you're missing an indication of the temperatures at a pressure height of 850hPa represented by the shading.  Ground level is taken as an average of 1000hPa (1000milibars or 1 bar/1 atmosphere), and, as pressure decreases with altitude, so does the figure of each pressure height level.  Of course, surface pressure isn't alays 1000hPa; in deep areas of low pressure it can get down to 950hPa, and, under high pressure areas, it can be 1030hPa, so each pressure height will vary as well - a given pressure height will be closer to th ground when there's low pressure as the atmosphere occupies a slightly shallower layer than under high pressure; this is what is meant in model discussions when people refer to lower heights.  This then means that, under high pressure, the opposite is the case - a given pressure height is further from the ground.  As an average, 850hPa is around 1500 metres (5000 feet) above sea level.  Colder air at a given pressure height suggests low pressure (heights are lower), whereas warmer temperatures suggest high pressure (there is an exception in Greenland and Siberia in winter where surface cold air causes a surface high which is colder than low pressure would be).  Otherwise, the lines are simply isobars as you'd find on a weather forecast chart.

4 minutes ago, Swave Snow said:

Gritters are out in Hendon tonight that NW London 

I won't know they never grit aycliffe. If it snows or gets very icy the school is closed, 

Edited by alexisj9
13 hours ago, Optimistic said:

Wendover Woods (highest point in the Chiltern) usually get some snow in similar setups. It should be half an hour drive once you reach the A41 if you live in north west london. Obviously no guarantee but it is a nice forest even if no snow is foud there. I will keep you updated about this during the next few days with regard to any snow cover in the Chilterns area. 

Thanks for your reply. I am always interested in discovering new places, and i like forests, so even if it does not snow it will be a nice day out! Thanks again.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Given that no-one else has replied...you're missing an indication of the temperatures at a pressure height of 850hPa represented by the shading.  Ground level is taken as an average of 1000hPa (1000milibars or 1 bar/1 atmosphere), and, as pressure decreases with altitude, so does the figure of each pressure height level.  Of course, surface pressure isn't alays 1000hPa; in deep areas of low pressure it can get down to 950hPa, and, under high pressure areas, it can be 1030hPa, so each pressure height will vary as well - a given pressure height will be closer to th ground when there's low pressure as the atmosphere occupies a slightly shallower layer than under high pressure; this is what is meant in model discussions when people refer to lower heights.  This then means that, under high pressure, the opposite is the case - a given pressure height is further from the ground.  As an average, 850hPa is around 1500 metres (5000 feet) above sea level.  Colder air at a given pressure height suggests low pressure (heights are lower), whereas warmer temperatures suggest high pressure (there is an exception in Greenland and Siberia in winter where surface cold air causes a surface high which is colder than low pressure would be).  Otherwise, the lines are simply isobars as you'd find on a weather forecast chart.

Thanks for your reply :) 

• Like 1

Just been out in the garden refuelling my car (runs on waste cooking oil) and it feels a lot colder now than it did 2 or 3 hours ago when i was last outside.

my garden weather station says it's 4.8c with dew point of 3.1c, so not as cold as it feels.

4 minutes ago, snowbob said:

Wouldn’t it be nice if by some miracle every model run trended south west now and we nicked Sunday’s snow then Monday’s snow dumped on us too

Not really, why be greedy?

5 minutes ago, snowbob said:

Wouldn’t it be nice if by some miracle every model run trended south west now and we nicked Sunday’s snow then Monday’s snow dumped on us too

After 4/5 years without any decent snowfall here, yes. Yes it would!

13 minutes ago, huntso said:

Not really, why be greedy?

your joking surely ? 

It would be amazing if all the snow that's been forecast by the models for up north landed in south east England for a change, i would gladly rob all the norths snow this winter if i could lol

• Like 2