Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia generalweather discussion 08/11/2017 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
47 minutes ago, Sparky68 said:

I remember that, had not long started working for Red Bull in Milton Keynes, we got sent home and took us 2 hours just to get out of MK.

What was your job at RB?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.
5 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

What was your job at RB?

Drink Tester....it gave them wings :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Frosty Mornings
5 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

What was your job at RB?

Still there, now Manufacturing plant coordinater

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
4 minutes ago, Sparky68 said:

Still there, now Manufacturing plant coordinater

You'll be very busy over the next few months, then.  Any information on the 2018 car?:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
1 hour ago, Sparky68 said:

I  wonder how many people in Norway or Sweden read these threads for giggles

if anyone in norway or sweden is reading this, i can't get excited by a pish dusting of snow...sorry:nonono: has to be 2 inches upwards for me to see any point in it snowing:nonono:

• Like 1

Posted

Top 5 in my 45 years as follows for SE Essex

1. January 1987

2. Nov/Dec 2010

3. February 1991

4. Winter of 1979

5. 1st to 3rd Feb 2009

So when you look at it we have had 2 notable xtreme events in the last 8 Years so not all bad. But that period from 1991 to 2009 was like pulling teeth!

• Like 5

Posted
13 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Top 5 in my 45 years as follows for SE Essex

1. January 1987

2. Nov/Dec 2010

3. February 1991

4. Winter of 1979

5. 1st to 3rd Feb 2009

So when you look at it we have had 2 notable xtreme events in the last 8 Years so not all bad. But that period from 1991 to 2009 was like pulling teeth!

Jan 1987 was the holy grail. 2.5 feet of snow over 3 days here and what felt like weeks of cold weather. Amazing! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
7 hours ago, crazysnowcatz4 said:

Roads seem to be fine, not really very much snow fell just a bit which melted instantly

Thanks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Winds seem to be veering more North-Easterly so shower activity should begin to pick up especially across the SE.

Unfortunately, the less cold air will be coming in with that, so, typical UK cold spell weather really. Look at all that PPN just to the East, heading straight into France as rain. What an absolute waste

Edited by Danny*
  • Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Sparky68 said:

Just as a little bit of nostalgia, what was the best snow fall you can distinctly remember? For me it was November 82 when i lived in St Albans , the hill at the bottom of our street froze solid for a week, helped by us kids pouring water on it.

Feb 2009 here. Over night Thames streamer which left knee high snow in Croydon.

Posted
1 hour ago, Daniel* said:

It was magical the amount of snow! What I would do for a repeat...

Me too but it'll have to be a kent clipper now.

Posted

February 2009 absolutely sucked. I was living on the Isle of Grain at the time and despite being underneath the streamer, I ended up with about 2" of polystyrene snowballs whilst places a little further down the river got absolutely pasted. I think Paul in Southend had the same issue, I seem to remember us both being on here wondering what the hell was going on. Pretty sure there's a thread somewhere going into detail about what went "wrong" for us on the Eastern end.

Edited by Danny*
  • Like 2

Posted
19 minutes ago, Danny* said:

Winds seem to be veering more North-Easterly so shower activity should begin to pick up especially across the SE.

Unfortunately, the less cold air will be coming in with that, so, typical UK cold spell weather really. Look at all that PPN just to the East, heading straight into France as rain. What an absolute waste

Good :wink: 

Lessens the heartache not that I was really expecting, although it is disappointing cold rain / sleet falling currently. The sorry thing is that during midday it was more conducive with snow grains, I don’t quite know why this is as winds have veered more easterly thus less of a sea track despite that it’s stood for nothing. I’m not ruling out anything falling overnight before turning back to rain early morning but I do not have the strength to so.

Good night folks - glad some in the region had some decent snow! :) 

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Daniel* said:

Good :wink: 

Lessens the heartache not that I was really expecting anything of more although it is disappointing cold rain / sleet falling currently. The sorry thing is that during midday it was more conducive with snow grains, I don’t quite know why this is as winds have veered more easterly thus less of a sea track despite that it’s stood for nothing. I’m not ruling out anything falling overnight before turning back to rain early morning but I do not have the strength to so.

Good night folks - glad some in the region had some decent snow! :) 

I think it' liteally because we are in the warm sector of the low. Hence temp rising. Something that always seems to happen with lows coming down the north sea. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Daniel* said:

@Danny* I see you... I had the asterisk first don’t forget it ;-)

it’s meant to stand for a snowflake...nowadays more representative of a speck of dust.. :nonono::D

Hahaha! I assumed the name "Daniel" was taken so you stuck on an asterisk, that's why I did it anyway. Like the idea of it being a snowflake though! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Raining here, bit early for the milder air I would have thought, oh well.

Hope this don't turn into another winter of mild Easterlies and near misses.:fool:

Posted
Just now, Danny* said:

Hahaha! I assumed the name "Daniel" was taken so you stuck on an asterisk, that's why I did it anyway. Like the idea of it being a snowflake though! 

When I joined netweather, it was roughly a year before I starting posting, and I called myself Daniel with some morse code along with it - something like Daniel037362 very creative indeed. I like to think I’m unique now. Until this evening you undermined that...I’m kidding it’s all good! :) 

I feel with the way things are going I may have to go abroad to get my fix been far too long. 

Posted
6 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

When I joined netweather, it was roughly a year before I starting posting, and I called myself Daniel with some morse code along with it - something like Daniel037362 very creative indeed. I like to think I’m unique now. Until this evening you undermined that...I’m kidding it’s all good! :) 

I feel with the way things are going I may have to go abroad to get my fix been far too long. 

I wonder if Emojis work in names.. I was going to try it but I have to wait 30 days before I can change my display name again. 

Posted
40 minutes ago, Danny* said:

February 2009 absolutely sucked. I was living on the Isle of Grain at the time and despite being underneath the streamer, I ended up with about 2" of polystyrene snowballs whilst places a little further down the river got absolutely pasted. I think Paul in Southend had the same issue, I seem to remember us both being on here wondering what the hell was going on. Pretty sure there's a thread somewhere going into detail about what went "wrong" for us on the Eastern end.

Yes there is a really good thread, an inversion scuppered us and those polystyrene balls just blew along the road. The wonders of weather and thats why we love it!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Showers fizzling out before they get anywhere nr my location

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Well I have woken up to a slight dusting of snow here in Peterborough.

Oh well I'd better invest that in the snow bank, the equivalent of a child investing a tuppence but hey-ho. :rofl:

• Like 1