Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia generalweather discussion 08/11/2017 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Don't need me to say it is bloody cold.  Bubs was allowed to wear snow boots in school today and it's awful up the side roads and they hadn't even cleared the path from the gate to the class rooms. 

Lots of excited kids.

Edited by Dami
  • Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Kent Blizzard said:

Just bringing the chocolate teapot charts out BUT would be fun

17121400_1206.gif

17121400_1206.gif

17121400_1206.gif

17121400_1206.gif

Good luck if you think your going to get a decent snowfall down here with that chart. .A lot in the SE couldn’t get a decent snowfall from  the Arctic Northerlies, we just had so no chance  with that wind coming in off the NW Atlantic of any snow .:gathering:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS

Noon. Frost on cars still in shade. Puddles frozen , blue skies .

Temp 1c

What a shame its all over by tonite..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.
11 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Good luck if you think your going to get a decent snowfall down here with that chart. .A lot in the SE couldn’t get a decent snowfall from  the Arctic Northerlies, we just had so no chance  with that wind coming in off the NW Atlantic of any snow .:gathering:

aComma cloud-head - This occurs to the left of the maximum wind speed axis and contains the most rotation when viewed in motion,  often produces most of the steady precipitation.

Here

Edited by Kent Blizzard

Posted

Well that was a nightmare journey this morning, the gritters if they went out didn’t do a good job, the A12 from lowestoft to Ipswich was lethal and the back roads just as bad. I almost turned back, instead crawled along at half normal speed, still some idiots thought it would be a good idea to overtake on icy road, nutters. Slightly better return journey thankfully. Please someone tell me we are not getting anymore rain or snow again tonight, not sure my stress levels can take another journey like that tomorrow morning?.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Think it will Defo just be rain here tonight, not even front edge snow. Mind you dp is still in minuses just.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow
25 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Think it will Defo just be rain here tonight, not even front edge snow. Mind you dp is still in minuses just.

You’re probably right there mate.

the dp will prob rise as the front approaches.

along with the ground temps.

Edited by snowbob

Posted

No chance of anything but cold rain tonight.

Still this week a reasonable chance of wintry showers although nothing spectacular. Not a bad set up for the high ground of the north but down here, pretty unpleasant.

547CC964-9E00-499C-A0D3-9C7B193D7E54.thumb.gif.e8b4f0542e832572285bf9a140fcaef4.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

A beautiful cold, crisp, sunny day out there, but it doesn't half feel raw! There is still thick ice in containers and the watering can, so can't have gone above the 3ºc it currently is now. 

Posted

I just got back from Wendover Wood. It was awesome up there!!  I 'd say there was about six inches of snow on the ground.The temperature according to my car was 0.5 up there. It's a balmy 4.5 here.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder storms and Blizzards.

Not strictly weather related but may be worth noting.

http://www.dw.com/en/italy-declares-state-of-emergency-following-deadly-explosion-at-austrian-pipeline/a-41752272

The price of gas went up this morning, with a big bang.

Temp now showing 1.8 with cloud building from the west, it was a nice sunny day in Bedford.

Posted

Please put me out of my misery guys. Is this GFS chart actually true? Is the whole of the south east actually under snow apart from me? I've spent the past day not believing it (as not a dandruff speck of snow here), but it keeps showing it so I'm starting to doubt myself!!

3-780.GIF?12-12

Posted
3 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Please put me out of my misery guys. Is this GFS chart actually true? Is the whole of the south east actually under snow apart from me? I've spent the past day not believing it (as not a dandruff speck of snow here), but it keeps showing it so I'm starting to doubt myself!!

3-780.GIF?12-12

I can confirm that thanet is clear

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, storms or both at same time..
4 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

3-780.GIF?12-12

It's wrong, no laying snow here in Haywards Heath, dont think anyone in West Sussex had any

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes of any sort

DQ14axTW0AI9Uvx.jpg

@ManWithbeard - The met office posted this earlier on twitter so as you can see quite a lot of the SE south of London was without a good covering, obviously that doesn't pick up smaller areas with coverings. There was some sporadic small patches around Battle, but only at height, otherwise Battle to Hailsham is clear.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, jgbgt said:

DQ14axTW0AI9Uvx.jpg

@ManWithbeard - The met office posted this earlier on twitter so as you can see quite a lot of the SE south of London was without a good covering, obviously that doesn't pick up smaller areas with coverings. There was some sporadic small patches around Battle, but only at height, otherwise Battle to Hailsham is clear.

Oh thank goodness, I'm not going completely mad then. Why on earth do they think we have snow cover then?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes of any sort
12 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Oh thank goodness, I'm not going completely mad then. Why on earth do they think we have snow cover then?

I assume it is just a theoretical depth based on the precipitation and the algorithm within the model of mm of water to snow. Then assuming that stuck? Here we did have a light covering for a while, until it turned sleety again and washed most away. 

Edited by jgbgt
spelling

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Wednesday night is not without interest some with elevation may see a little white stuff as the cooler upper air (-4 850) undercuts the precipitation. There maybe a few surprises again. SM any thoughts?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
21 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

3-780.GIF?12-12

No snow here either and only sleet fell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)
9 minutes ago, Frostbite1980 said:

Wednesday night is not without interest some with elevation may see a little white stuff as the cooler upper air (-4 850) undercuts the precipitation. There maybe a few surprises again. SM any thoughts?

I noticed there was a slight upgrade for wintry ppn over the Wednesday/Thursday night, the fact that the ppn is heavier might work in our favour.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
33 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

3-780.GIF?12-12

Can confirm - no snow fell for me, nothing lying.

Tangential but somewhat related - how difficult is it to accurately model dew points, current or future?

Posted

Interesting topic you guys are discussing, it was like being in 2 different countries today and sometimes only 10 miles apart.

Left home in Leigh On Sea this morning and fields still have a healthy cover which is not going anywhere.

Around Lakeside where I work there is no snow cover left, had a few deliveries in Chelmsford and it is really snowy there with snow on the side roads and deeper snow in the gardens. When I delivered in Brentwood it was much deeper still than even Chelmsford. Got onto the A12 and by the time I was on the outskirts of Romford only 4 miles from Brentwood there was zero snow cover left.

Temps as well were all over the place with 1-2c in Brentwood and 4-5c in places with no snow cover.

• Like 3

I can confirm here at Brentwood we still have a decent covering, probably 5cm still, has melted some what though, but still there, we usually do fairly well cos of height! I expect all snow to melt by tomorrow as heavy rain and temps of 6 degrees, but has been nice having snow around past 3 days and better than anything for the past few winters!