Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

SE and East Anglia generalweather discussion 08/11/2017 onwards

Its been snowing in Ipswich for like an hour, between light and heavy bursts. Another nice surprise like yesterday when i was just expecting rain.

If it gets really cold later on this might get really dangerous with so much water still on pavements and roads.

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Merry Xmas, To all on the South East thread. Didn't think I'd still be here, being able to celebrate Christmas, after suffering a brain haemorrhage/stroke, in September 2015. But fortunately, due

Snowline has moved back across the water now so north kent / Surrey etc back in the fray - great wrap around as well heavy snow here in Eltham -1cm , wifey just text 0.2c in NAG with heavy snow a

It is not showing 20cm for Reading whatsoever! I see he's a Reading student, I think he's trying to convince himself...

Posted Images

Rain, sleet, snow and the kitchen sink is starting to clear South-Eastwards now, rapidly becoming lighter and fizzling out. 

Tonight, temperatures widely well below freezing, could be some pretty dangerous conditions tomorrow morning.. 

8 minutes ago, Lowestoft Tiler said:

Heavy snow in Lowestoft at sea level for the last hour. Now starting to stick. I suspect we are going to have a fair few hours of snow this evening and tonight here. And there was me thinking we'd escaped :wallbash:

Still light here but if its snowing there and in beccles it must be getting closer to heavier snow here.

17 minutes ago, Lowestoft Tiler said:

Heavy snow in Lowestoft at sea level for the last hour. Now starting to stick. I suspect we are going to have a fair few hours of snow this evening and tonight here. And there was me thinking we'd escaped :wallbash:

Swap you ?

10 minutes ago, Tom Jarvis said:

No snow here nothing didn’t even stick here in uckfield but up the road in Crowborough they got a dumping 

That bit of altitude can make all the difference. Similar case with here and Heathfield.

8 minutes ago, D.V.R said:

I hate it when it snows but doesn't settle.. and it might be the last snowfall this year :nonono:

Could be last this decade lol, it's already been nearly 5 years since i had settled snow apart from early this year when i had about 0.5cm of slush that was gone in hour or 2

1 minute ago, Weather_Novice said:

with 3 weeks left of 2017, pretty safe to say that will be the case.

Yeah.. I was hoping we'd see some over the Christmas period.:santa-emoji:

32 minutes ago, Lowestoft Tiler said:

Yet here, further inland and 44 metres ASL, all we've hand is sleety rain.:rofl:

1 minute ago, Rob Deacon said:

Could be last this decade lol, it's already been nearly 5 years since i had settled snow apart from early this year when i had about 0.5cm of slush that was gone in hour or 2

That's highly unlikely given that solar activity is dropping into a minimum as part of the cycle between now and the early 2020s. 

• Like 1

If theres to-be anyone benifiting from the exactions of -ana-.... its to be kent...

As the system draws off to the continent it is quickly followed' by colder air(already) in situ. And colder conversion is perfectly aligned in time and placement......

As modeled for this evening 'perhaps' some ground accums-across anywhere in the kent county!..

As for minima...its easy to-be the coldesr night of winter 'thus' far.. -4/5 in populated pockets...and quite widely-8 in more suburban/low based spots.

Screenshot_2017-12-11-14-22-47.png

Screenshot_2017-12-11-14-21-55.png

• Like 2

well. a day of sleet, turned to what could be classed as wet snow for a while but just light rain/sleet now.

however... the cloud is clearing from the west, so we should be getting clear skies over the region just in time for getting dark. it will be still wet on the ground though. the roads cant be gritted wet, so conditions are ripe for some very dangerous ice conditions on the roads and i've just seen a met office warning out for just that. i would imagine there are many younger drivers out there who have never experienced driving on ice. i've been driving for nearly 30 years in all sorts of conditions and all sorts of vehicles including HGV's. i've owned land rovers for several years and been off-roading a few times but the one thing i am most wary of is black ice. you cant see it and no matter if you have 4 wheel drive, winter tyres, ABS, traction control, you still have to be extremely careful. my land rover has all of the above but if i lose it on black ice, it becomes a 2 ton uncontrollable missile. so if you have never driven on ice, BE CAREFUL!! better still, if you dont have to, dont drive at all.

• Like 8
2 minutes ago, Rob Deacon said:

Lol.. Yeah, it's been a while since we had snow that lasted.

3 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

That's highly unlikely given that solar activity is dropping into a minimum as part of the cycle between now and the early 2020s. 

I'm still not convinced that the upcoming solar minimum will be sufficient to offset all those signals that act in the opposite direction? Not only is the ever-present AGW signal always lurking in the background, but another El Nino will likely to occur before the turn of the century?:cold-emoji:

Just now, tight isobar said:

If theres to-be anyone benifiting from the exactions of -ana-.... its to be kent...

As the system draws off to the continent it is quickly followed' by colder air(already) in situ. And colder conversion is perfectly aligned in time and placement......

As modeled for this evening 'perhaps' some ground accums-across anywhere in the kent county!..

As for minima...its easy to-be the coldesr night of winter 'thus' far.. -4/5 in populated pockets...and quite widely-8 in more suburban/low based spots.

Screenshot_2017-12-11-14-22-47.png

Screenshot_2017-12-11-14-21-55.png

its just turned back to snow here

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, D.V.R said:

Yeah.. I was hoping we'd see some over the Christmas period.:santa-emoji:

This christmas period is 14 days away...

A nearly lifetime in meteorlogical terms!

And christmas is by no way exacted at all.

With an' array of options on the table.

However thats one for the model thread?

Snow stopped. Temp now 0.0C--gritters been up the road earlier. All main routes seem OK. Now for the freeze tonight!!!

As has been mentioned, altitude often makes the difference in these marginal situations and in our part of the world, Heathfield and Crowborough benefit from this.