Snow?

SE and East Anglia generalweather discussion 08/11/2017 onwards

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Merry Xmas, To all on the South East thread. Didn't think I'd still be here, being able to celebrate Christmas, after suffering a brain haemorrhage/stroke, in September 2015. But fortunately, due

Snowline has moved back across the water now so north kent / Surrey etc back in the fray - great wrap around as well heavy snow here in Eltham -1cm , wifey just text 0.2c in NAG with heavy snow a

It is not showing 20cm for Reading whatsoever! I see he's a Reading student, I think he's trying to convince himself...

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Keefo said:

Sidsnake

About 20 mins ago, traffic was moving fine in High St. As she travels by bus, might be wise to get 251 rather than 252 as quicker journey and avoids Rotherfield and its lanes. Might be wise to make a move now as radar looks like snow for a while yet

Thanks very much for getting back to us Keefo.  Kind regards

Not moaning, not complaining, not snowing... Still raining!!

Not that anything else was forecast, but having seen the state of some other Kentish and Sussex seaside towns I did have a small amount of hope. Naaaah.

Deal, Kent. 5m asl.

Edited by Ellozee
added location

Canvey island- so I left the island this morning raining temp 4.5 got off island to snow still on ground temp 2. Took boy to school went food shop temp down to 0.5 back on the island 2.5 lol. However it' changing to snow again now here and just had a text from school in Basildon to say they are finishing early- they didn't start till 10 today so I am watching for any major changes coz it' going to take me while to get back over to the school.

Starting to see fresh accumulations, which is surprising given how har it rained earlier. You can see it starting to build up on the boy’s trampoline cover.

Wavering between sleet and snow in Colchester. Some slight coverage on wet surfaces and it's building up on existing snow cover but generally it's not sticking much.  Met Office may have called this just right in terms of the 100m elevation....

1 minute ago, Djdazzle said:

If the ground temperature is zero or below, snow will settle readily even on damp surfaces. If th snow is heavy enough, it can even settle on surfaces which are slightly above freezing.

Yep - Back in January it was raining for hours and then the cold air undercut, it turned to heavy snow and within minutes everything was white. 

Wet ground does not stop snow from settling, dew points being above freezing however does.

• Like 2
Just now, Danny* said:

5/10 snowfall here now, settling a little on some surfaces, I wasn't expecting anything but rain at this level so i'll take it!

10 mins up the road in rainham at 400ft ASL and its raining. Crazy how marginal it is and how elevation doesn't seem to matter. Its snowing here at sea level in east London right now.

3 hours ago, anything-but said:

Considering I'm a motorcycle courier, staying home today seems a wise call seeing as my day is spent around Surrey, south and east London. Do not want to be caught out if the weather turns wintery! 

Do you ever stay out overnight for your job or are you out and back in a day?