Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia generalweather discussion 08/11/2017 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 minutes ago, Kent Blizzard said:

The BBC weather app is giving me the following if we can believe it:-

Tues Max 5c, Weds Max 5*c (-1 Overnight ), Thurs Max 5*c...not getting to 7*c till Sunday.

The tv forecasts showed 7C all week around London, though it could get colder?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.
3 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

The tv forecasts showed 7C all week around London, though it could get colder?

Doesn't surprise me for London and close surrounding areas, the App says the same.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Well there's interest for some in our region this week, at least. Higher ground and eastern areas may see some flakes.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
6 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Well there's interest for some in our region this week, at least. Higher ground and eastern areas may see some flakes.

I'll look forward to some godawful heavy blobs of sleet then?:cray:

• Like 1

Posted

I'm just not so sure the wind direction will change into a NE'ly for us in the SE although with my eye on Northern France it does so the chance is there of drawing in moisture but if not then Cold, Dry and mainly Sunny will be the theme, we'll also need the 850Hpa's to be low enough though

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
3 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

It certainly appears that the model outputs covering the rest of the week are awful for this region.  Give me a Bartlett any day.

Posted
41 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Yes. The BBC forecast have highs all week of around 7C in the SE, which isn't great for snow. Not sure where people are getting maximum temperatures of 3C for London on Thursday? That would be more conducive for snow, obviously.

Slowly they’re being knocked down as what always happens as we draw near.

Latest forecast for London had tomorrow peaking at 6C most places will top off at 4-5C, the beeb app has 4C for me on Thursday I typically knock off a degree or two off, Thursday’s synoptic is a very cold one therefore the 3C is what I would expect and conducive especially for snow. The television weather broadcasts I find to be quite poor generally and sway largely on the conservative side, I prefer having my own idea. 

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

It certainly appears that the model outputs covering the rest of the week are awful for this region.  Give me a Bartlett any day.

What profanity - rise your mouth. :nonono::D:diablo:

Posted
48 minutes ago, Kent Blizzard said:

I'm just not so sure the wind direction will change into a NE'ly for us in the SE although with my eye on Northern France it does so the chance is there of drawing in moisture but if not then Cold, Dry and mainly Sunny will be the theme, we'll also need the 850Hpa's to be low enough though

As early as Wednesday 00z according to NetWx-SR only stretches out to T48 our most north folk will start seeing a rash of showers these falling primarily as snow inland. 

0EBE1DD0-11E9-4EF7-96BC-9E607239A5C9.thumb.png.0f5d130905dd0b5c2df4ceb507069517.png57F7326D-6656-4B22-BA32-F94506BF26A0.thumb.png.9a0b5ad4b3161fb7adbab478cccf54ae.png

Posted
6 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

As early as Wednesday 00z according to NetWx-SR only stretches out to T48 our most north folk will start seeing a rash of showers these falling primarily as snow inland. 

0EBE1DD0-11E9-4EF7-96BC-9E607239A5C9.thumb.png.0f5d130905dd0b5c2df4ceb507069517.png57F7326D-6656-4B22-BA32-F94506BF26A0.thumb.png.9a0b5ad4b3161fb7adbab478cccf54ae.png

What was the latest 850Hpa's offering? I've not had much of a chance to keep track today, they was about -5

Posted
2 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

You might be lucky. Doesn't look like anything noteworthy for most of our region, just a bit chilly with some wintry showers. Generally too warm for settling snow but I'm looking forward to sunshine and frost, at least :)

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Kent Blizzard said:

What's forecast for N France later this week? 

Posted
4 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

3C would indeed be much better, possibly better for you than for me; I am only 6 miles from the coast...:cray:

I am on the coast, we had two episodes of icy rain today although i didn't think it was that cold maybe because there wasn't much of a breeze.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Underwhelming to say the least on Look East tonight, Thursday the coldest day with temps down to around 4/5c with a chance of showers becoming wintry later in the day and just the chance of a slight covering where these showers pop up. We said before this winter with increasing warmth in the seas (particularly the Norwegian Sea) that for decent cold in these parts we need to see an easterly or north easterly

Posted
6 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Underwhelming to say the least on Look East tonight, Thursday the coldest day with temps down to around 4/5c with a chance of showers becoming wintry later in the day and just the chance of a slight covering where these showers pop up. We said before this winter with increasing warmth in the seas (particularly the Norwegian Sea) that for decent cold in these parts we need to see an easterly or north easterly

Indeed; pretty unpleasant conditions likely for us this week; fortunately it should become milder at the weekend and, possibly, next week as well.:good:

Posted

What are the odds of getting a car frost tonight in north Kent? Can’t be bothered to cover the car but thinking I should? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
10 minutes ago, c00ps said:

What are the odds of getting a car frost tonight in north Kent? Can’t be bothered to cover the car but thinking I should? 

Should be a fair amount of cloud around with temepratures just above freezing so low I'd say

• Like 1

Posted

6C and partly cloudy here. Chatting to friends in Oslo tonight and it's 0C and snowing there, with the next 10 days at least predicted to be below freezing, both by day and night. Wonder if we'll tap into any of that soon?

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, stainesbloke said:

6C and partly cloudy here. Chatting to friends in Oslo tonight and it's 0C and snowing there, with the next 10 days at least predicted to be below freezing, both by day and night. Wonder if we'll tap into any of that soon?

Quick answer: no.

Posted
3 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Quick answer: no.

Are you a real lover of mild, or using reverse psychology?! Much easier being a mildie here, virtually stress free.

Posted
18 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Are you a real lover of mild, or using reverse psychology?! Much easier being a mildie here, virtually stress free.

I used to be a moderate cold fan.  As a wheelchair user, severe weather can be awkward, though we're modifying an electric wheelchair at the moment for off-road use, so it would be less of a problem, hence I was never an extreme cold fan.  I realised last year that wanting cold and snowy conditions was unreasonable given the likely effect on an NHS that's already on the verge of collapse, and such weather causes so much misery for so many people that I decided to try to enjoy mild winter weather.  It isn't easy - I find more than around 10-12 days without any sun at all very depressing, and, of course, rainfall as we had a few years ago also causes damage and misery.  I therefore haven't taken to wanting three months of continual Atlantic storms, hence why I said that, once our groundwater supplies and reservoirs are back to a reasonable level, I'd be happy with a Bartlett set-up.  There are times when I feel myself wanting snow, but, when that happens, I try to discipline myself and re-set my preferences.

• Like 3

Posted

Morning all, No " Winters over " before it's even started posts yet? I'm surprised :oops: