Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia generalweather discussion 08/11/2017 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Possibility of something interesting for our region Friday night/early Saturday morning. A quick drive up the downs might be in order..

1.thumb.jpg.f2486e0a9ddf7a735563eaca866c83d3.jpg2.thumb.jpg.18823074516a855e77581e8ce4ef0c24.jpg

Edited by Daniel Smith
  • Like 2

Posted

Almost at the end of the fall of autumn leaves it seems now, as this photo from Esher Common shows this morning; I imagine after this evening those brave leaves still hanging onto the trees will be on the ground. For the past 10 minutes at least, a steady stream of birds has been flying overhead approximately south to north; if only they predicted snow!

IMG_20171122_101557.jpg

IMG_20171122_160319.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
54 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Possibility of something interesting for our region Friday night/early Saturday morning. A quick drive up the downs might be in order..

1.thumb.jpg.f2486e0a9ddf7a735563eaca866c83d3.jpg2.thumb.jpg.18823074516a855e77581e8ce4ef0c24.jpg

Yes, even the Arpege is interested in some wintriness so upgrades on that front but not as bold for our SE corner compared to GFS 12z with snow largely confined to over the North Downs. 

I’ll have some of that.. 

B7848665-E0E3-467D-AB60-1AB1544ABC53.thumb.png.210d51e75936afe84a9e1b09f4cc844c.png

Nice pictures Reefseeker wouldn’t it look lovely in a layer of white. :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.

It's been a fantastic late autumn day here. Clear blue skies all day long, bright and breezy and a Tmax close to 15c.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.
2 hours ago, Snowflake Queen said:

Across the road they are hanging their Christmas decs ( always a lovely display in memory of their son ) but I fear they will have to abandon it as the wind keeps swinging the decs about ... took them a hot cuppa and asked if they need help but they also agreed today is not the best day to do it .... Santa is just swinging about hope he lasts the night ! 

Naughty Santa :D

Little bit if calmness now with the wind here, expect it to pick up again soon.

Posted
1 hour ago, Daniel* said:

Yes, even the Arpege is interested in some wintriness so upgrades on that front but not as bold for our SE corner compared to GFS 12z with snow largely confined to over the North Downs. 

I’ll have some of that.. 

B7848665-E0E3-467D-AB60-1AB1544ABC53.thumb.png.210d51e75936afe84a9e1b09f4cc844c.png

Nice pictures Reefseeker wouldn’t it look lovely in a layer of white. :) 

Thank @Daniel*:) We have great memories of those woodlands all snowy and icy from the last time we ever really had 'proper' stuff, during the 2009/2010 winters. I must admit, taking the photo this morning I started wondering if we will every see that again in darkest Surrey. Hope you get better soon; trying to make African sweet potato stew this evening which smells well spicey, so I guess I need to waft some in your direction!

Edited by Reefseeker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Got to think that any event for the SE corner would be very marginal indeed, although with the winds from the West , while there won't be so much ppt it should reduce the coastal warming that often limits the extent of any snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
1 hour ago, lassie23 said:

snow in november, who would have thought it

I’ve often thought about it but very rarely seen it :sorry:

Edited by shotski

Posted
3 minutes ago, shotski said:

I’ve often thought about it but very rarely seen it :sorry:

Did we not have some fleeting snow last November or was it the year before? Only a few minutes of it this thread was busy for a time - was very early compared to the climatological norm, the winter that followed was pants. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
1 hour ago, Daniel* said:

Did we not have some fleeting snow last November or was it the year before? Only a few minutes of it this thread was busy for a time - was very early compared to the climatological norm, the winter that followed was pants. 

Don’t remember it here ?

Sure this winter will be a proper good un. 

Posted

Hi all looks like we might get an surprise on Friday night. :).

is yamkim still around as he had an inside view on what was possible as he worked for the gritters in the southeast. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Blowing a right hoolie here, very noisy. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

APERGE hinting at a bit of back edge snowfall over the downs on Saturday now too

APERGE.thumb.jpg.7ea3d7f56900ceeedbe87fa784b8170f.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

By 'eck it's blowy out there! Keep hearing things flung around the garden. Cat went two feet out the door for his nightly wee, got hit by a gust of wind and promptly decided against it.

• Like 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, Tom Jarvis said:

Hi all looks like we might get an surprise on Friday night. :).

is yamkim still around as he had an inside view on what was possible as he worked for the gritters in the southeast. 

Yamkin posts on another forum now, as have many original 'natives', big shame the community was lost. I happen to follow him so I'll keep you informed on behalf of him - nothing's stopping him from posting, well I don't think there is. :good::D 

• Like 2

Posted
18 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Yamkin posts on another forum now, as have many original 'natives', big shame the community was lost. I happen to follow him so I'll keep you informed on behalf of him - nothing's stopping him from posting, well I don't think there is. :good::D 

Which forum is he on now??

Posted

very  windy outside at  the  moment

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Certainly blowing here now. A very mild day overall if rather cloudy. Not long until we see a proper cooldown.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

It sounds far windier than the speeds indicate.

But then I do have a few trees with leaves on still and a willow near my house.