Captain Shortwave

SE and East Anglia generalweather discussion 08/11/2017 onwards

3 hours ago, lawrenk said:

Quite a nice upgrade in the long range MO Forecast today for early Jan. Something good brewing perhaps?

Depends on the quality of sprouts on Christmas Day :oops:

• Haha 1

Been rough as guts for a few days and not been on, come back and everyone’s excited? This is good news!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, m1chaels said:

Any chance of showers giving the odd unexpected covering n of the thames tonight?

I’ve not had a real look at the parameters, unsure about a covering perhaps above 200 meters. Some falling snow I’d say may be possible. I do know BBC graphics showed wintry showers more-so to west in our region, tomorrow morning possibly more conducive. Therefore the last radar watch in a little while? 

• Like 1

My prediction  for Xmas day another slider low giving snow to UK except South East coast lol imagine how gutted I would feel if that happened 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, clark3r said:

My prediction  for Xmas day another slider low giving snow to UK except South East coast lol imagine how gutted I would feel if that happened 

we are sort of getting used to it,(but it doesnt make it any easier):sorry:

• Like 1

Seems strange to look out at the garden and see green instead of white. The snowmans body has survived quite well although he lost his head yesterday!

Only been upto to 4.6c briefly this afternoon but it did feel much warmer than that outside as there was plenty of sunshine. Looks like a cold one tonight, temp already down to 0.5.

Entering a rather “boring” spell of weather for the next 10-14 days I think. Let’s hope for some Xmas cheer and a cold spell from a more Easterly quadrant come the new year. Not sure about everyone else, but Northerlies don’t float my boat. We are always the last stop and too much marginality involved. Hoping Santa gives me a roaring ENE’ly, -15 uppers and a 2 day Thames Streamer....😂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Snowflake Queen said:

Don’t worry there is all of jan , feb , March and even sometimes April to go !! 

there's always the new mini ice age from 2020 on wards

Heavy burst of snow in Chelmsford after heavy rain  !!?? - settling on cars/grass not pavements, didn't see that coming !!!!!!!

3 minutes ago, 1976 said:

Heavy burst of snow in Chelmsford after heavy rain  !!?? - settling on cars/grass not pavements, didn't see that coming !!!!!!!

On the 127, biggest burst of snow you could have back to rain now though

Heavy spell of snow after rain just moved through Southend. No settling. Was a surprise!

1 hour ago, Justin Miller said:

Big band of sleet north or London, anyone getting sleet or is it just rain ☔️ 

Was sleety in Harrow. Didn't last long though 

Raining when i left Maldon but i had to do a double take a few miles up the road in Bicknacre as all the parked cars and grass had a layer of snow/slush on them! Even the road was actually slushy on closer inspection. 

Continued heavy sleet/snow as i drove further but now in Basildon it's just rain. It was a suprise if nothing else!

Not a pleasant morning here in East Suffolk. Plenty of cloud moving quickly through on a gusty wind and temp only 3C. But a nice satellite image of the culprit - an area of low pressure spinning around in the North Sea just off the coast, throwing bands of showers across East Anglia.

Fax Chart 06.00 5a3394d054524_FaxChartFri15Dec06_00.thumb.jpg.0a03ae2b761ff640a2ebd4a0ed11b1a8.jpg Satellite 09.05 5a3394e381057_CloudFri15Dec09_05.thumb.jpg.ce0d4e4fccd8651161c58e15f156ddc0.jpg

• Like 3

In Rayleigh this morning, another demonstration that snow DOES settle on a sodden wet ground after persistent rain! 
Massive flakes that turned everything white before it slowed and stopped around 7.45am.

Nice to see, it melted quick afterwards for a trouble free run to work :)

• Like 1

Lots of black ice this morning, still a touch of snow around. pavements were a nightmare. Lovely fresh breeze, not. 

I dare say it is already milder. Didn't feel as cold this morning. 

Good Morning everyone.

Even now the footpaths are very slippery where the sun has not to work and there is black ice.

It was a real surprise to see the snow on our car windscreen this morning.

Kind Regards

dave

• Like 1

Beefy looking cbs currently running north to south down the North Sea...more thundersnow?:yahoo:

7 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Beefy looking cbs currently running north to south down the North Sea...more thundersnow?:yahoo:

Thunder-rain ;) some localised sleety showers.

F4236A3E-8988-4A53-971C-0263BA45721B.thumb.png.7a52e661bb7572decc8f3ab84157c2bc.png

• Haha 1