Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia generalweather discussion 08/11/2017 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Not a pleasant morning here in East Suffolk. Plenty of cloud moving quickly through on a gusty wind and temp only 3C. But a nice satellite image of the culprit - an area of low pressure spinning around in the North Sea just off the coast, throwing bands of showers across East Anglia.

Fax Chart 06.00 5a3394d054524_FaxChartFri15Dec06_00.thumb.jpg.0a03ae2b761ff640a2ebd4a0ed11b1a8.jpg Satellite 09.05 5a3394e381057_CloudFri15Dec09_05.thumb.jpg.ce0d4e4fccd8651161c58e15f156ddc0.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

In Rayleigh this morning, another demonstration that snow DOES settle on a sodden wet ground after persistent rain! 
Massive flakes that turned everything white before it slowed and stopped around 7.45am.

Nice to see, it melted quick afterwards for a trouble free run to work :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

A mainly sunny day here but that NW'ly wind is bitingly cold. Just 4C currently. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Lots of black ice this morning, still a touch of snow around. pavements were a nightmare. Lovely fresh breeze, not. 

I dare say it is already milder. Didn't feel as cold this morning. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!

Good Morning everyone.

Even now the footpaths are very slippery where the sun has not to work and there is black ice.

It was a real surprise to see the snow on our car windscreen this morning.

Kind Regards

dave

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Beefy looking cbs currently running north to south down the North Sea...more thundersnow?:yahoo:

Posted
7 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Beefy looking cbs currently running north to south down the North Sea...more thundersnow?:yahoo:

Thunder-rain ;) some localised sleety showers.

F4236A3E-8988-4A53-971C-0263BA45721B.thumb.png.7a52e661bb7572decc8f3ab84157c2bc.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Aye...A shyte Christmas is now odds-on. Nowt unusual there then!:D:santa-emoji:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
11 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

may all your christmases be shyte:oops:

Posted

UK Outlook for Saturday 30 Dec 2017 to Saturday 13 Jan 2018:

Through the final days of December and, perhaps, the start of January it is likely to be unsettled and often windy across much of the UK. Temperatures will be near to or below average and snow is likely, at times, especially across northern parts of the country. Through the first half of January a gradual reduction in the frequency of Atlantic westerlies seems most likely, this will be coupled with an increase in the frequency of colder and drier periods, although confidence is low at this stage. Milder, wetter, and windier spells should become more short-lived during this period with the colder and drier spells of weather bringing an increased likelihood of overnight frost and fog, as well as some snow, wintry showers, and below-average temperatures.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gcpvj0v07#?date=2017-11-14

just posted by summer sun , to my untrained eye it does not look to bad if the meto are right:cold:

•  
  • Like 3

Posted
32 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Aye, merry Christmas my southern friends :drunk-emoji: preferably not like larrys greek turd of a Christmas :oops:

i'll send you some of my greek crimbo crummy dinner, so you can cry in it, like what we will be doing, have you got my 'have a doner kebab of a christmas', christmas card yet?:yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 hours ago, lassie23 said:

the output from the models to the run up to christmas is utter garbage, mild christmas yet again:bad:

Think I've seen it snow here at Christmas only twice in 44 years. As an airline employee, I'm very happy it won't snow before Christmas, I'm due to be off work for 6 days and don't want any dramas!! Can snow as much as it likes afterwards, though.

Posted
3 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Think I've seen it snow here at Christmas only twice in 44 years. As an airline employee, I'm very happy it won't snow before Christmas, I'm due to be off work for 6 days and don't want any dramas!! Can snow as much as it likes afterwards, though.

very rare, had more white easters

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

We seem to be getting colder weather the first half of December (and during November) than the second half of December in recent years. When things should be turning colder going into January, it does the complete opposite and turns milder!! Its as if a switch is being switched on in mid Dec!!!!

North sea forcefield up and running I see.:wallbash:

gfs-1-180.png

gfs-1-186.png

gfs-1-192.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
4 hours ago, lassie23 said:

the output from the models to the run up to christmas is utter garbage, mild christmas yet again:bad:

Large teapot is back!:yahoo:

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
33 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Large teapot is back!:yahoo:

Actually, that was somewhat of a ramp as an attempt to counteract the excess cold ramping here on Netweather - I suspect that  m o d e r n w i n t e r is going to happen eventually, but the past couple of weeks demonstrates that is isn't just yet.

Posted
6 hours ago, lassie23 said:

i'll send you some of my greek crimbo crummy dinner, so you can cry in it, like what we will be doing, have you got my 'have a doner kebab of a christmas', christmas card yet?:yahoo:

Hmm, don't think I've seen greek crimbo crummy dinner flavour supernoodles round here.:nea:

Posted
2 minutes ago, JennyJane1 said:

Hmm, don't think I've seen greek crimbo crummy dinner flavour supernoodles round here.:nea:

probably why they cost more:pardon:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 hours ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Actually, that was somewhat of a ramp as an attempt to counteract the excess cold ramping here on Netweather - I suspect that  m o d e r n w i n t e r is going to happen eventually, but the past couple of weeks demonstrates that is isn't just yet.

TMW is here, and to stay, 1 cold shot will not change things, February is the month that's changed the most anyway

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
3 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

TMW is here, and to stay, 1 cold shot will not change things, February is the month that's changed the most anyway

God yes, Feb is terrible these days with the warm sunshine, all the springtime flowers in bloom. Feb has to turn cold early to stay cold later in the month, never happens tho. Short boring mooonnnthhhhhh......:lazy:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises
12 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

Went to the bookies last week... they said 7/4 for Edinburgh and 5/1 for Heathrow so i took em both - they didn't like it when i asked for an each way bet:drunk-emoji:

Do you think i should go into the mad mod thread and ask if it's going to snow in Welwyn on christmas day?   ... prob not.. as someone in st Albans would love to shoot me

Happy Christmas weather surprises everyone (-:

Edited by Pixel

Posted
8 hours ago, Pixel said:

Went to the bookies last week... they said 7/4 for Edinburgh and 5/1 for Heathrow so i took em both - they didn't like it when i asked for an each way bet:drunk-emoji:

Do you think i should go into the mad mod thread and ask if it's going to snow in Welwyn on christmas day?   ... prob not.. as someone in st Albans would love to shoot me

Happy Christmas weather surprises everyone (-:

Apparently that's a public flogging offense in that thread:oops: I just looked at the christmas week weather charts, what an absolute barfarama:bad:

Edited by lassie23