Captain Shortwave

SE and East Anglia generalweather discussion 08/11/2017 onwards

Well the snow wouldn't come to me properly so I went to it. Butser Hill in the South Downs at about 280m so had plenty of snow on top. 

• Like 1

Looks like the back edge is about to push through here in Southend. Can see clear skies to my NW. Will be a cold one tonight, lots of ice. To top it off my boiler has conked out, just in time for the coldest night of the season 😐

Temps falling away now, my partner has permission to leave work early and come in late tomorrow due to the threat of icy roads, people are taking this ice threat seriously, especially on the winding rural roads of the Chilterns.

Be careful out there folks.

For most of the day we had rain with some wet sleety stuff coming down, needless to say none settled,  with the temp remaining at +2C. 

Just before sunset the skies started to clear and we were blessed with a 'red sky at night' - since then the temp has been going down and the bar up. 

'Spect there will be a moderate frost tonight - the roads are mostly clear but not so much the pavements with still plenty of slush around, so it will be a bit hazardous for the old 'uns tomorrow morning. 

well back home here -

West Kingsdown 4cm +0.2c, NAG 2cm  +0.8c

Waiting for the clear skies & the next bout of cold...

Edited by Steve Murr

Got some sleet and then snow today in Ashtead Surrey but still nothing settled....... So, are we going to have a White Christmas???!!!:Dx

Sky just clearing here , lovely red sky as the sunsets .Well I’m happy we saw snow falling , it didn’t really settle apart from on the downs , but at least we actually got snow this time 😁

Went for a walk when heavy sleet turned to Heavy Snow in Central London between 12 - 1!  :yahoo:

Literally stood in it, with big and small flakes blowing into my face with a negative windchill! :D:cold::cold:

But, due to the rain before, nothing settled. Damn you rain!!!! :nonono::diablo:

Tonight looks to be the coldest night of the season thus far for many with widespread ice for our region. -4 in Central London which is actually really impressive! :shok:

Keep safe, everyone! :good:

• Like 1

Temp now up to 5C...It's been up and down faster than Katy Price's draws!:nonono:

• Haha 3

Well today was an unexpected surprise here in St Leonards-on-Sea ( East Sussex ). As late as 7.30 this morning the forecasts on the radio were saying rain for all but the very highest ground well inland. Just over an hour later and the snow was pelting down in a strong wind and rapidly settling here.

I'm not going to criticise the forecasters though. From start to when it finally stopped snowing around 2.30pm the temperature and dew point remained above 0c, quite often close to 2c. A forecasters nightmare.

On the subject of criticism, this article about gritting is worth a read.

https://weatherman79.wordpress.com/

Anyway, it's good to see that so many of us in the region have had some snow in the last 24 hours or so. To those that haven't, never say never.

• Like 2

Hi All

has anyone got a good link for local weather stations. Keen to see how low temperatures get down to tonight. Thanks 👍

3 minutes ago, SenlacJack said:

Well today was an unexpected surprise here in St Leonards-on-Sea ( East Sussex ). As late as 7.30 this morning the forecasts on the radio were saying rain for all but the very highest ground well inland. Just over an hour later and the snow was pelting down in a strong wind and rapidly settling here.

I'm not going to criticise the forecasters though. From start to when it finally stopped snowing around 2.30pm the temperature and dew point remained above 0c, quite often close to 2c. A forecasters nightmare.

On the subject of criticism, this article about gritting is worth a read.

https://weatherman79.wordpress.com/

Anyway, it's good to see that so many of us in the region have had some snow in the last 24 hours or so. To those that haven't, never say never.

A very good article... Over the past few days we have had a perfect example of how borderline these weather phenomenons (because that is how we seem to treat a bit of snow these days) can be, so it is refreshing to have an insider's view of the logistics (and costs) involved in keeping the transport system open.

As far as further snow on the horizon, the 12z GFS has an upgrade for the South and East for light snow on Wednesday evening/night.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, shotski said:

Hi All

has anyone got a good link for local weather stations. Keen to see how low temperatures get down to tonight. Thanks 👍

This is quite good, depending on location: http://wow.metoffice.gov.uk/

One last 'arty' shot of a South coast snow day.

Hard pushed to remember 70mph gusts one day and a blizzard  that sticks the day after!

20171211_161324.jpg

20171211_165357.jpg

• Like 6

Just walked home from the gym and already the snow and snow melt on the ground is starting to freeze up, dripping from buildings has largely stopped too. Can see the stars so the cloud has definitely shifted! 

Edited by saint

Well it was beautiful to see some nice big fat flakes today,sadly only lasted a couple of hours,and after the soaking yesterday and this morning it was never going to settle,looked lovely up on the hills of fairlight and hastings this afternoon,though the traffic was not good so I heard,anyway looking forward to the next event,hopefully that word,marginality,will not be mentioned,and we get our long overdue 90cms 

Snow melt beginning to freeze up here already. 

Fields, grass and pavements will be rock solid by dawn tomorrow 

Sorry to say this yet again, but please take care out there folks... The roads are slippery as ****, even in Central London, so it must be dreadful out where there is lying snow!
Just take it easy, allow more time for journeys etc. x

• Thanks 2

Herts council tweeting that the drop below 0c has come earlier than expected and are gritting from 7pm, while originally they'd planned to next go out at 4am. 

Be careful out there everyone! 

Edited by saint
  • Like 1

Ac few post ago I referred to the lovely sunset  - it so happened that my daughter was equally impressed and took photos - great minds think alike! 

However the one to really drool over is the third one which I believe is a scene from Finland. 

sunset 4.jpg

sunset 2.jpg

Free_Scenery_Wallpaper__Shows_the_Scene_of_Winter_in_Finland_What_a_Pure_and_Won.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2