Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia generalweather discussion 08/11/2017 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Early rain gone, clear and fresh and sunny. Not overly freezing, but more people wearing hats. I've set a trend. \o/

Posted
11 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

6C and partly cloudy here. Chatting to friends in Oslo tonight and it's 0C and snowing there, with the next 10 days at least predicted to be below freezing, both by day and night. Wonder if we'll tap into any of that soon?

We do for a time follow the isobars. 

02B99F6C-AF21-486F-803D-8E77B69A054D.thumb.gif.120276707d89fc88c00428516f3a6d87.gif

Not to sound downbeat per se but lets make the most of the elevated snow chances Wed - Fri. 

Posted
  • Location: Gravesend (by the thames) and work Borough Green deliveries on job around the South east
  • Weather Preferences: Snow November to March. Heat and sun late April to early October
  • Location: Gravesend (by the thames) and work Borough Green deliveries on job around the South east

The first sleety rain drops I've witnessed for 2017-18 season. Happened to be driving through that green blob ?

Screenshot_20171128-101501.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

There has been a few light showers early this morning.  The temperature is 5.0 °c and the apparent temperature is 3.8 °c. Scattered clouds with bright sunshine.  The humidity is very high at 98%.  The barometer pressure is at 1012.0 mb (steady).

Posted
14 minutes ago, John Michael How said:

The first sleety rain drops I've witnessed for 2017-18 season. Happened to be driving through that green blob ?

Screenshot_20171128-101501.png

I noticed that good that it matched up. A good indication Dew Points are for now well above 0C.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Unbroken sunshine, moderate zephyrs from the WNW and 4C...Who knows what's going to happen?:search:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
4 minutes ago, warrenb said:

6z meto must be out  as the BBC Weather twitter account has just tweeted possible Snow Showers SE Thursday and Friday.

Certainly inline with the latest NetWx-SR

Thursday.png

Posted
5 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Unbroken sunshine, moderate zephyrs from the WNW and 4C...Who knows what's going to happen?:search:

The end of space and time itself? :D

Here is that tweet: 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and plenty of it.

I thought any snow on Thursday or Friday would be confined to far South East corner of Kent.

Posted
9 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Certainly inline with the latest NetWx-SR

Thursday.png

Looking good for the first bit of wintriness of the season. :) Poor old triangle, onshore wind..

CE407B84-B28C-4A0B-88DA-40F216A76DBF.thumb.png.04b768d91a3e9067cf03e075b39b628d.pngE5506C13-017F-4078-B266-D5F1BF80C51F.thumb.png.553836735fde39fad74acd0af47e6abc.png 0034C263-842A-439E-AC8B-C0393AED7071.thumb.png.1478f92cb3d0a0b421cd1bfb15a2699d.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
12 hours ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

I used to be a moderate cold fan.  As a wheelchair user, severe weather can be awkward, though we're modifying an electric wheelchair at the moment for off-road use, so it would be less of a problem, hence I was never an extreme cold fan.  I realised last year that wanting cold and snowy conditions was unreasonable given the likely effect on an NHS that's already on the verge of collapse, and such weather causes so much misery for so many people that I decided to try to enjoy mild winter weather.  It isn't easy - I find more than around 10-12 days without any sun at all very depressing, and, of course, rainfall as we had a few years ago also causes damage and misery.  I therefore haven't taken to wanting three months of continual Atlantic storms, hence why I said that, once our groundwater supplies and reservoirs are back to a reasonable level, I'd be happy with a Bartlett set-up.  There are times when I feel myself wanting snow, but, when that happens, I try to discipline myself and re-set my preferences.

Hope your wheelchair modifications are successfully implemented and you have more choice in areas to travel. Cold and snow must be difficult for wheelchair users and the elderly. Maybe this week we'll see snow showers that won't settle, which won't give you any problems? I know snow is magical and it's very exciting but it causes so much grief in this ever ill-prepared island and your comments about the NHS are spot on. I work for an airline and snow at Heathrow is the ultimate nightmare, I have a few horror stories which has dampened my snow enthusiasm somewhat, over the years! Like you say though, endless mild gloom is very dreary. Days like today are my favourite, gorgeous sunshine and blue skies and chilly enough to feel wintry. 

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 1

Posted

Out of Wednesday and Thursday, Thursday looks the better bet for anything wintry, although still marginal TBH.  Wednesday uppers and dew points are the wrong side of marginal and freezing level is too high:

nmmuk-37-41-0.thumb.png.b11683ae10afb0b7acf6651b46ee0c05.pngnmmuk-18-41-0.thumb.png.69a26366c7204e1c2d4d16e83b5a4acc.pngnmmuk-16-41-0.thumb.png.5c85aa3db7ed5ef0876f1bbcc3b66de8.png

Thursday evening uppers look better.

nmmuk-16-68-0.thumb.png.493c90e5d08107e0cb274cd0e898ca8c.png

But  were precipitation is forecast dew points look too high and freezing level is also higher:

nmmuk-1-70-0.thumb.png.4fe73b8e6ddeb04eddde4d7bf5f65867.png

So at the moment East Anglia and the far east of Kent look to be the areas that could see something wintery, although elevation above 250/300m would  be needed and dew points need to be a couple of degrees lower than currently forecast for it to be snow rather than sleet.  Further west looks dry. 

nmmuk-37-68-0.png

Edited by Sardonixs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
47 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Hope your wheelchair modifications are successfully implemented and you have more choice in areas to travel. Cold and snow must be difficult for wheelchair users and the elderly. Maybe this week we'll see snow showers that won't settle, which won't give you any problems? I know snow is magical and it's very exciting but it causes so much grief in this ever ill-prepared island and your comments about the NHS are spot on. I work for an airline and snow at Heathrow is the ultimate nightmare, I have a few horror stories which has dampened my snow enthusiasm somewhat, over the years! Like you say though, endless mild gloom is very dreary. Days like today are my favourite, gorgeous sunshine and blue skies and chilly enough to feel wintry. 

Thanks.  I can usually manage ordinary snow in my existing wheelchair without too many problems - the off road one would help if the modern w i n t e r hypothesis is incorrect and we ever see more than a couple or three inches of snow lying again.  Interested to hear that you're in the airline industry - I can never understand why UK airports seem caught-out by snow and frozen runways.  I agree that today's conditions are optimal.

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman
  • Like 1

Posted
32 minutes ago, Sardonixs said:

Out of Wednesday and Thursday, Thursday looks the better bet for anything wintry, although still marginal TBH.  Wednesday uppers and dew points are the wrong side of marginal and freezing level is too high:

nmmuk-37-41-0.thumb.png.b11683ae10afb0b7acf6651b46ee0c05.pngnmmuk-18-41-0.thumb.png.69a26366c7204e1c2d4d16e83b5a4acc.pngnmmuk-16-41-0.thumb.png.5c85aa3db7ed5ef0876f1bbcc3b66de8.png

Thursday evening uppers look better.

nmmuk-16-68-0.thumb.png.493c90e5d08107e0cb274cd0e898ca8c.png

But  were precipitation is forecast dew points look too high and freezing level is also higher:

nmmuk-1-70-0.thumb.png.4fe73b8e6ddeb04eddde4d7bf5f65867.png

So at the moment East Anglia and the far east of Kent look to be the areas that could see something wintery, although elevation above 250/300m would  be needed and dew points need to be a couple of degrees lower than currently forecast for it to be snow rather than sleet.  Further west looks dry. 

nmmuk-37-68-0.png

Nowhere in East Anglia is anything like that high.  Norfolk, Suffolk and Essex have nowhere above 60 metres ASL.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
16 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Thanks.  I can usually manage ordinary snow in my existing wheelchair without too many problems - the off road one would help if the modern w i n t e r hypothesis is incorrect and we ever see more than a couple or three inches of snow lying again.  Interested to hear that you're in the airline industry - I can never understand why UK airports seem caught-out by snow and frozen runways.  I agree that today's conditions are optimal.

2010 was the turning point for Heathrow after the utter debacle of the airport being virtually shutdown for nearly 7 days. The airport operator has bought masses of snow clearing equipment and trained a small army of operatives, so that dreadful scenario should never happen again. In fairness, it's a difficult one as snow here is so infrequent but it can (rarely) fall to very deep depths. I guess no one wanted to spend all that money before (typical British government attitude) but lessons have finally been learnt!

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted
Just now, stainesbloke said:

2010 was the turning point for Heathrow after the utter debacle of the airport being virtually shutdown for nearly 7 days. The airport operator has bought masses of snow clearing equipment and trained a small army of operatives, so tat scenario should never happen again. It's a difficult one as snow here is so infrequent but it can rarely fall very deeply. Guess no one wanted to spend all that money before (typical British attitude) but lessons have finally been learnt!

Ironically, 2010 is now vastly unlikely to happen again.:rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Well lots of light showers here this morning, some coming from little whisps of cloud. Some sleet mixed in earlier.

Posted
1 minute ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Ironically, 2010 is now vastly unlikely to happen again.:rofl:

Lol, in our current cycle of warmer winters, absolutely! That may all change though, who knows. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Still wall-to-wall sunshine, 5C, and wind is inching more into the NW...if it's only 2C by this time on Thursday, we could all see some of the white stuff? Can anyone hold their breath for 48 hours?:crazy:

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Sharpedge said:

I think winter is back again!

It'll be gone again by the evening.  Never think that serious cold and snow is likely until all three main models agree well within T+144, preferably not until T+72 hours.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.
1 hour ago, Ed Stone said:

In Bedford, absolutely bog all.:reindeer-emoji:

Posted

Lovely day here, a little cloud has bubbled up but still mainly sunny. 7C currently with a moderate breeze from the WNW.