Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia generalweather discussion 08/11/2017 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
1 minute ago, alexisj9 said:

Let's just hope it's not another wtf moment the day before caused by a small shortwave low Turing the easterly to a northerly. Although as I recall it was still a very potent cold spell, just not the one the mod thread expected.

Totally agree! Confidence seems to be building, so I’ll be watching each run with interest. We don’t need any shortwave dramas this time.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, JennyJane1 said:

We will see at midnight. I am so bored by myself tonight, I've just spent half an hour trying to feed a cream filled chocolate eclair to my seagull, but I have the only seagull in the world who hates chips, doughnuts, pastries and stuff like that, he got very angry and refused to eat it.:D

Lol might be the only person who has a pet seagull too :D I can’t stand them.. I thought I got away from them but in increasing numbers they’re coming into London munching on all sorts. The secondary school nearby there’s a regular frenzy of them as during their lunchtime they leave a mess, opportunities to feed. Bet he or she likes like it, be careful aha wouldn’t want to mess with a seagull!  :D 

Posted
1 minute ago, Daniel* said:

Lol might be the only person who has a pet seagull too :D I can’t stand them.. I thought I got away from them but in increasing numbers they’re coming into London munching on all sorts. The secondary school nearby there’s a regular frenzy of them as during their lunchtime they leave a mess, opportunities to feed. Bet he or she likes like it, be careful aha wouldn’t want to mess with a seagull!  :D 

i think I am the only person with a pet seagull, luckily mine is bonkers because he's big and they are vicious creatures. He still likes to be cuddled.You would tell which one was him in a flock of them, all the others would be swooping and grabbing chips off people, meanwhile he would be swooping and daintily giving the chips back.Oh no, don't like chips, do you have any cooked broccoli? :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

Saw a flash in the rain, thought it was lightning.

Turned out to be a firework.

Happy new year to y’all 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Happy New Year, folks! Hope 2018 brings us all some of our favourite types of weather, not forgetting good health, love and happiness :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
16 minutes ago, JennyJane1 said:

That's it, I've seen the thames fireworks on tv and now i'm going to bed.Goodnight everyone and Happy New Year.:D

Missed them this year. However one household did some fireworks here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Happy and very snowed in with blizzards all of January and into February with 6 foot drifts new year everyone!:drunk::drunk-emoji:

• Like 5

Posted

Morning,

Congrats if you’ve read this you made it to 2018 :D

Been a very wet month was December.. potentially double the average for London area & SE England.

545134B0-BD4E-431E-89D9-1F658DFCE7C3.thumb.png.10aa9eb7c44e4386315f4870fc97d8ab.png

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
3 hours ago, Daniel* said:

Morning,

Been a very wet month was December.. potentially double the average for London area & SE England.

545134B0-BD4E-431E-89D9-1F658DFCE7C3.thumb.png.10aa9eb7c44e4386315f4870fc97d8ab.png

Yes - very wet. 

My wettest three days recorded 16mm, 17mm and 19mm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
11 hours ago, CK1981 said:

Very encouraging signs from the models now. It looks odds on a Scandinavian block will form next weekend. This will bring an easterly air flow across our region, which is always better for cold and snow. However, the continent is currently much warmer than average, so we need the block to orientate SW/NE to drag in colder upper air from Scandinavia. The Met Office seem confident we will see some very cold air, so this may be one of the outcomes. It’s certainly the best chance for our patch in a very long time. Many twists and turns to come, but I’m feeling much happier at the moment.

A very Happy and Healthy New Year to everyone!

I think you've hit the nail on the head with the "twists and turns" comment CK. For the first time in ages we stand a great chance of seeing snow showers coming in off the North Sea, but will all the necessary boxes be ticked?! For example, look at this 850hPa temp chart for next Sunday. Peeps up on the NE coast of England and Scotland will be getting lots of lovely snow showers in -9C uppers and a stiff NE'ly, whilst our Region currently looks too close to the Low pressure warm sector with uppers not cold enough. I think we'll be glued to the high res models later in the week as this one develops.

But isn't it great to have some weather to get excited about! :)

5a49f57a71d46_GFS850tempsSun07jan.thumb.GIF.953db37eabc8b53c901d6bec63c9024d.GIF

• Like 3

Posted
13 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

I think you've hit the nail on the head with the "twists and turns" comment CK. For the first time in ages we stand a great chance of seeing snow showers coming in off the North Sea, but will all the necessary boxes be ticked?! For example, look at this 850hPa temp chart for next Sunday. Peeps up on the NE coast of England and Scotland will be getting lots of lovely snow showers in -9C uppers and a stiff NE'ly, whilst our Region currently looks too close to the Low pressure warm sector with uppers not cold enough. I think we'll be glued to the high res models later in the week as this one develops.

5a49f57a71d46_GFS850tempsSun07jan.thumb.GIF.953db37eabc8b53c901d6bec63c9024d.GIF

Happy New Year!

You’re spot on regarding that low pressure centre, but it does appear to be moving away. I think we’ll all be in the game soon, just not as quickly as our northern neighbours.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Over 18C please!

Woke up and opened curtains to bright sky and dry underfoot. By the time I got downstairs to put the kettle on it was grey skies and rain, huge fat raindrops *sulk*

Low of 5C in the greenhouse overnight, 7.5C now.

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, interested & confused said:

Woke up and opened curtains to bright sky and dry underfoot. By the time I got downstairs to put the kettle on it was grey skies and rain, huge fat raindrops *sulk*

Low of 5C in the greenhouse overnight, 7.5C now.

if we are lucky. by next weekend you might just find it colder in the greenhouse:hi:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
5 hours ago, Daniel* said:

Morning,

Suppose we are making up for some dry months in Autumn? If temperatures were colder in December, there would have been a lot more snow! 

Another grey and dreary day to come, by the looks of it. Would be nice to have a clear, cold high day over us for a few weeks but that is so rare nowadays, sadly.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Over 18C please!
1 minute ago, PLANET THANET said:

if we are lucky. by next weekend you might just find it colder in the greenhouse:hi:

I wouldn't mind some cold, as long as we saw some clear skies to go with it - it's this perpetual gloom that is sooo depressing :(

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, interested & confused said:

I wouldn't mind some cold, as long as we saw some clear skies to go with it - it's this perpetual gloom that is sooo depressing :(

although snow is the ultimate aim for me in winter , its rare for us in east kent to see any:sorry:, so my next best scenario is lovely clear blue skies and cold:D

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Blessed Weather said:

Happy new year to you. If i'm honest, i enjoy this will-it-won't-it game almost as much as i enjoy actually seeing snow, and we've had lots of these scenarios, its been a good winter so far.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Nearly 250 pages, methinks it is time for a new thread :p

New thread here;

Edited by Captain Shortwave