Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia generalweather discussion 08/11/2017 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

A frosty morning with the roofs and vehicles covered with frost but there is hardly anything on the lawn, hedges or trees.  The temperature is 0.0 °C .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
27 minutes ago, JennyJane1 said:

Is this snow on the ground outside rather than frost, once again I couldn't decide which it is?

Nah just frost this morning, there were a few showers clipping the coast during the first part of the night before clear skies prevailed across the region.

Enjoy the sunshine today, back to wind and rain as we head into the new year. I am not sure on how far south the snow will get from tomorrows front as it will be moving into cold air, but I would say the further north and west you are in the region then leading edge snow is possible.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

A lovely sunny and cold winter morning here, still -1C and everything white with frost. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Very nice winters morning. 

Dog walk was great as all the water bogged fields have frozen over. 

Pity we can’t pinch another snow morning tomorrow.

Midlands northwards looks set for a few hours snow before turning back to rain headed into an unsettled, milder new year period. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

well it was nice to have brekki yesterday with the crimbo lights on and the snow falling. Wasn't too disappointed when it changed to rain, seeing more snow was just a bonus. Besides after 3 days of food, food and wine don't feel like poncing around in the snow atm.  Even coffee doesn't help.:oops:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Lovely start to the day here, bright sunshine and frosty.

Posted

Gun at head : Dami are you gutted there is no snow forecast for Bedford?

Dami : A bit, although I don't want to be.

Bang:vava:

Posted

I am afraid I have killed off our chances for snow, Dami style. I received my new winter hoodie in the post, its a real balaclava heavy fleece cover the face and neck.So it won't snow.Sorry all.:cold:

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, JennyJane1 said:

I am afraid I have killed off our chances for snow, Dami style. I received my new winter hoodie in the post, its a real balaclava heavy fleece cover the face and neck.So it won't snow.Sorry all.:cold:

Our more northern members like yourself may see some snowfall albeit transient:

northern 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
1 hour ago, Daniel* said:

I’ll never understand how some prefer mild SW’ly nothingness to this clear and cold weather. It is winter. 

It is nice, I have to agree.  I just think that South-westerly mild is preferable immediately around Christmas for travel purposes.  It also eases the load on hospitals.

• Like 2

Posted

Beautiful winters day with blue skies and sunshine--frost remaining in the shade. Max today 1.9C--now below freezing at -0.2C

Posted

I would just like to add that we have had a hell of a lot more snow since I brought my cosy boots than ever. I have now got some more jumpers, a coat, hoodie and a wrap so expect blizzards. :hi:

Edited by Dami
  • Like 1

Posted

The latest model output is grim, along with some pretty depressing comments from experts regarding the intensification of the Polar Vortex and a cooling of the stratosphere. I don’t want to throw in the towel, but things are really going against us now. The latest Met Office outlook is also very poor. Same old crap really :(  

Edited by CK1981

Posted
13 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

The latest model output is grim, along with some pretty depressing comments from experts regarding the intensification of the Polar Vortex and a cooling of the stratosphere. I don’t want to throw in the towel, but things are really going against us now. The latest Met Office outlook is also very poor. Same old crap really :(  

I hear you @CK1981 

Outlook pretty dire for cold and snow fans. However, my location has seen the most snow in the past 20 days then it has seen in the past 4 years... that’s an comparable achievement in what is a toll of pretty pathetic UK winters. 

Thank god I have Montreal in 9 days time. 

I honestly don’t know how coldies in the UK do it without a get away to a snowy city. 

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

I hear you @CK1981 

Outlook pretty dire for cold and snow fans. However, my location has seen the most snow in the past 20 days then it has seen in the past 4 years... that’s an comparable achievement in what is a toll of pretty pathetic UK winters. 

I honestly don’t know how coldies in the UK do it without a get away to a snowy city. 

It’s very depressing, isn’t it. Have a great time in Montreal....I’m sure you’ll see plenty of snow! I’m off to Prague at the end of January, but it’s even looking mild there. I give up ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy
5 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

I hear you @CK1981 

Money

Edited by PerfectStorm
  • Like 2

Posted
32 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

If anything, today's output is better for cold fans than of recent, unless you expect a strong easterly flow with 10+cm of snow and daytime maxima below -2C.

Posted

Dire? Things are looking far from dire as long as there is no blowtorch SW’ly I’m reasonably content. Gritter just went past dry as a bone out there I assume the initial leading edge rain may fall on surfaces at or below freezing and freeze instantly - that wouldn’t be good. 

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Daniel* said:

Dire? Things are looking far from dire as long as there is no blowtorch SW’ly I’m reasonably content. Gritter just went past dry as a bone out there I assume the rain may fall on surfaces at or below freezing and freeze instantly - that wouldn’t be good. 

Yes latest BBC weather said rain falling onto frozen surfaces (high chance of ice) 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

If anything, today's output is better for cold fans than of recent, unless you expect a strong easterly flow with 10+cm of snow and daytime maxima below -2C.

It’s not great for our patch. PM winds will only bring transient snow events, which always end up as a slush fest down here. I’d rather it was dry and frosty with a cold high than that!

Posted
1 minute ago, CK1981 said:

It’s not great for our patch. PM winds will only bring transient snow events, which always end up as a slush fest down here. I’d rather it was dry and frosty with a cold high than that!

True, but, for cold fans, it's better than a Euro high or a tropical maritime low every other day!

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

True, but, for cold fans, it's better than a Euro high or a tropical maritime low every other day!

Totally agree!

I think we’re long overdue a decent easterly though, with some proper cold and powdery snow. A week of that would make my winter ?