Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia generalweather discussion 08/11/2017 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
50 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

This is what we want to see this member in GEFS 06z. Marginality dead. Proper cold that. 

52111579-A376-413F-A1E2-07CF8CCFDB14.thumb.jpeg.0c60d04cd565a0f4105cd362c25f1207.jpegB35CA3E7-0B90-4C6D-8B7E-C3CDAFF5EBB8.thumb.jpeg.b8f372e8f0bd82f79d30de038c87743d.jpegD00813A2-F7C6-4058-83E6-0BA8494C40E7.thumb.jpeg.41ab917534df59618864bc45f40c9810.jpeg

That would certainly bury the South east in snow. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: Continental:Warm dry summers, cold snowy winters
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom
7 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Really not seeing really any sign of that? Today was marginal that’s a whole different ballpark. 

Yeah, I more mean the nature of how it'll bump against the cold air. Yes it could be marginal also but I think there could be a few surprises in store. Also, steve mentioned the low would likely correct south (I'm not sure if that was tongue in cheek) but he knows his stuff. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
49 minutes ago, CanadaAl said:

Yeah, I more mean the nature of how it'll bump against the cold air. Yes it could be marginal also but I think there could be a few surprises in store. Also, steve mentioned the low would likely correct south (I'm not sure if that was tongue in cheek) but he knows his stuff. 

They normally do, this one was mpre north when first modelled, Doesn't mean it always happens though. Sliders are now cast situations in this country.

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France

Interesting journey to Loughborough and back - Watford was mostly clear of snow - Luton has a bit more just covering the ground but the area of Northants had a fair covering and it was evident that the snow ploughs had been out. 

Also there was thick thick traffic! - it took just under 4 hours for a journey of just under 100 miles.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Aside from a 25 min light snow session,pretty much as I expected today,rain rain and more rain,standard fayre now

Posted

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/weather/lowestoft-norwich-train-disruption-fallen-trees-weather-1-5335192

Trains between Lowestoft and Norwich were disrupted this afternoon after trains fell on the line at Oulton Broad North. Picture: Network Rail

OMG the wind was horrific here today what with trains being picked up and dropped on the tracks!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
14 minutes ago, JennyJane1 said:

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/weather/lowestoft-norwich-train-disruption-fallen-trees-weather-1-5335192

Trains between Lowestoft and Norwich were disrupted this afternoon after trains fell on the line at Oulton Broad North. Picture: Network Rail

OMG the wind was horrific here today what with trains being picked up and dropped on the tracks!

well if a train does have to fall somewhere, i suppose a railway line is the best place for it:drunk-emoji:

Posted
8 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

well if a train does have to fall somewhere, i suppose a railway line is the best place for it:drunk-emoji:

Totally agree.. 

Posted

Another wet snow event for me which didn't settle. Last time I saw a covering of snow was march 2013. I know there is 3 months of winter left but starting to think it' going to be another winter with out a covering of snow here. With the Atlantic lows rolling in it' not going to take much to write the winter off. We have seen a few colder days so far than the last few winters but not enough to produce the goods. Good luck all for the coming months and let hope we get a decent beastly before days start getting warmer.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
2 minutes ago, clark3r said:

Another wet snow event for me which didn't settle. Last time I saw a covering of snow was march 2013. I know there is 3 months of winter left but starting to think it' going to be another winter with out a covering of snow here. With the Atlantic lows rolling in it' not going to take much to write the winter off. We have seen a few colder days so far than the last few winters but not enough to produce the goods. Good luck all for the coming months and let hope we get a decent beastly before days start getting warmer.

We have about 7 weeks of winter proper left, might as well discount the end of February these days as the sun is quite strong by then. Of course it can snow after this, but winter proper ends for me at least on or around 16th Feb. 

Lovely chart there for midday today, if that can't produce a half decent snow event here at the end of Dec then I give up. Think I will go to warmer climates in future Christmas's, like Seychelles, Maldeves or a cruise down to the Caribbean, this Christmas's weather here has been the most depressing I can ever remember, its been proper vile.:bad::angry:

fax0s.gif

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Got back from the pub, there seems to be a few snow showers running in off the north sea which was nice to see.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
1 minute ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Got back from the pub, there seems to be a few snow showers running in off the north sea which was nice to see.

Yes a few clipping the coast, all the heavy showers are staying off shore in the North Sea.

Posted
4 minutes ago, snowray said:

Yes a few clipping the coast, all the heavy showers are staying off shore in the North Sea.

what a waste of snow, don't think fish give a flying flog about the weather

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
4 minutes ago, snowray said:

Better than expected given the wind was supposed to veer quickly to a west/northwesterly as the front cleared away. Still it isn't cold enough for snow to settle but again it is nice to see.

Moving forward, no sign of significant cold but I don't see a major mild spell, just average with wiggle room for weather cold enough for snow at times, even a proper northerly blast shouldn't be ruled out.

• Like 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, snowray said:

Them snow showers out in the North Sea seem to always just clip the coast around Gt Yarmouth and Lowestoft, they migrate south on a Nly/NWly for hundreds of miles from Scotland but as soon as there's even a slightly more NEly component in the wind direction then they just fizzle out in East Anglia. Yup total waist.:cray:

Edited by snowray
  • Like 1

Posted

A long shot, but has anyone seen the latest radar output? There appears to be the Cheshire Streamer in play with the ppn heading in the direction of London/SE. This scenario has taken the MetO by surprise before, so you just never know!!

5a4436d02880a_28_12.17CheshireGapStreamer.thumb.png.90127ff6f9b8344316adcdd9a6263f1f.png

Posted
3 minutes ago, yamkin said:

A long shot, but has anyone seen the latest radar output? There appears to be the Cheshire Streamer in play with the ppn heading in the direction of London/SE. This scenario has taken the MetO by surprise before, so you just never know!!

5a4436d02880a_28_12.17CheshireGapStreamer.thumb.png.90127ff6f9b8344316adcdd9a6263f1f.png

can't see them surviving the journey, probably stop off at a service station before luton

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

What a wet 24 hours! It's such a shame to be so close to a major snow event but just end up with a spell of wet snow that quickly turns to slush (and that was if you were lucky! Nothing IMBY).

Look at these rainfall totals for eastern areas - well over an inch for many. With a tweek of the synoptic pattern we could have been digging ourselves out!! :angry:

• Like 1

Morning gang, so this morning I looked at the gfs 00z and once again flooding comes to mind... 

We already have flood warnings out although I think a lot have now gone, but the latest gfs run well, play it through for yourself, rain after rain after rain. The last time I saw something like this the Thames burst it's banks near me and it was an absolute nightmare.

I hate flooding, it's a long weather process (usually) very hard to control and does maximum damage that takes months even years to fix. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Frosty Mornings

Was a real hard frost this morning in Cambs , River Great Ouse has burst its banks.

13 minutes ago, Sparky68 said:

Was a real hard frost this morning in Cambs , River Great Ouse has burst its banks.

Not good, the local river to me is very high, it's had some work done to prevent flooding in the future but the problem with it is it usually means somewhere else along the river suffers flooding. 

Back in 2014/15? I think the Thames broke its banks in staines and surrounding areas, the water table was actually ground level in my area and water was seeping out the ground and all the lakes etc around me burst resulting in all the gardens be me being flooded including mine, I had 3ft if water at the end of my garden and got within 15ft of my back door, next door it was right up to the back door step. The resaon that it was so bad was because they didn't want the river bursting in "higher populated areas" it transpired that this was in fact to protect higher value property further upstream. 

@stainesbloke will probably remember it quite well. Although that event was a once in 100 year event. The problem I think with our way of thinking in the UK is that it won't happen again. But it does and we never learn.

My friend and I were on TV and one of my videos of Chertsey Lane under water was on TV, taking a bike down a road with 2 foot of flowing water was not the greatest idea I've ever had mind... 

• Like 1

Posted
10 hours ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Is this snow on the ground outside rather than frost, once again I couldn't decide which it is?