Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia generalweather discussion 08/11/2017 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted

Had a spell of heavy snow for the last hour or so in Southend. No settling but nice to see. Looks like the more NW areas of the region hit the jackpot again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

I'm confused, just looked through a few frames of the radar and the rain/snow over the SE seems to be moving up from from the SW and the stuff further west is moving NNE.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells n snow

Hello all, anyone in Surrey/Chiltern area/Oxfordshire and can report 1 or more inches of snow? 

I'm in south Bucks, and while we had 5 inches (over a foot up on Ivinghoe Beacon two weeks ago), all that's happened this time is all the flakes are just melting as it's so wet outside. 

I do landscape photography and have a 4x4, so looking to take some photos plus also test out some new Michelin Semi Off-Road tyres which should be better in snow. 

Cheers

Posted
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: Continental:Warm dry summers, cold snowy winters
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom

Here in NW essex, 5CM at least and still throwing it down. Looks like we got the sweet spot according to Wundermap. No rain to start, just snow since 7:55. Definitely can't see why there's doom and gloom on the MOD thread. Two pretty decent shots of snow (10th and today) and December isn't even over. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, CanadaAl said:

Here in NW essex, 5CM at least and still throwing it down. Looks like we got the sweet spot according to Wundermap. No rain to start, just snow since 7:55. Definitely can't see why there's doom and gloom on the MOD thread. Two pretty decent shots of snow (10th and today) and December isn't even over. 

I think its because they can't see where the next lot is coming from. Although i personally think they are looking to far ahead. There may even be more available this week, in some spots..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Heavy and persistent sleet...Yuck - shopping can wait until tomorrow!:cray:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Cold rain and sleet here in Chingford unfortunately. It snowed earlier this morning but nothing settled 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental:Warm dry summers, cold snowy winters
15 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

I think its because they can't see where the next lot is coming from. Although i personally think they are looking to far ahead. There may even be more available this week, in some spots..

Yeah they're trying to look for deep easterlies and prolonged cold which isn't there but plenty to get excited about in the short term. They flip so much that an easterly could appear 5 days out in the middle of Jan. Just doesn't seem worth getting upset over. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Over 18C please!

Lots of rain overnight, footpath flooded again, now we have huge wet snowflakes among the rain, just looked and there are a lot more of them in the mix now. Too wet for any to settle, unless it turns a lot colder.

Wind has started howling down the chimney as well now - good job I haven't got to go out!

Edited by interested & confused
bad spooling
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, CanadaAl said:

Because the jet stream is about to fire up, and trying to shut this bad boy down can be quite tricky. So of stormy wet and above average is your thing then it's okay, but a lot of people like cold. I personally don't mind a good storm! 

• Like 1

Posted

Trying again very heavy sleet, not expecting full transition. It' just the main heavy band over us now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Just cold rain here unfortunately. Was squinting really hard earlier this morning to spot a flake or two in the rain but gave up after getting a headache and went back to bed. Last hour or so its been drizzle. Really need them deep cold easterlies here these days.:laugh:

Edited by snowray

Posted

I assume she has some elevation! Monster flakes.. looking online seems to be the case perched on the top of White Cliffs of Dover. 

• Like 3

Posted

Been sleeting here in Folkestone all day and has just turned to big flakes. 

Back home in Hawkinge it’s been snowing on and off all day and has settled a little on the grass...pics sent by daughter who is at home while I work:

A59FFAB6-4B19-4478-84C3-193D9EC03F48.jpeg

9684DA4F-1DAA-40E0-B98F-A2A134AC951A.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Daniel* said:

I assume she has some elevation! Monster flakes.. looking online seems to be the case perched on the top of White Cliffs of Dover. 

This is just up from where I work, along the road from home. They often get snow up there (as we do at home as it has the elevation).

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Yep, and I live further along the same stretch of hill but nearer dover and have sleet. Actually may be proper snow may be falling now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Just had a whopping great gust of wind...Damn those Brussels sprouts!:shok:

And...it's almost snowing!:santa-emoji:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Really really grim and despite heavier precipitation and falling temperatures the best we are managing is icy rain.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Snowing again here in cockfield

Posted
15 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Just had a whopping great gust of wind...Damn those Brussels sprouts!:shok:

And...it's almost snowing!:santa-emoji:

Yep the strongest gust here has been 56 mph this afternoon. Most gusts in the 50s,  unbelievable from the north west as normally sheltered from those.

• Like 1