Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia generalweather discussion 08/11/2017 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted

Moderate to heavy snow in NW Essex @ 100m asl - settling on cars, roofs and grass but it will take something rather substantial to settle on the pavement and roads

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
12 minutes ago, paget said:

Quick question for a beginner, when elevation is talked about what is the norm? Low, high?  I realise the mountains etc are high but for us normal people! I've never looked, and assumed we are low as we are in a valley, ours says 375ft?

Still snowing here, but small flurries not the big flakes you really want! 

Ha the elevation of my local well known hill (sledging hot spot and they used to build radars up there) is only about 205 foot above sea level!  Lower than your low valley.
My house is only 19ft. Essex can be so boringly flat.

Edited by moogyboobles

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Snowing heavily but not sticking except roofs and cars. 

Nice to see falling snow at least but no chance of accumulations for Bedfordshire like the ECM was predicting yesterday. 

The band shrinking and moving through pretty quickly now. 

The higher you are the colder it tends to be. In situations like this the "snow line" so to speak could be a few hundred feet above our heads. Its critical in a marginal setup like this because it means you could be @ 180ft say ASL and the snow line 150ft. This would suggest that anyone above 150ft will see snow and anyone below wont.

Some situations the snow line will be 0ft meaning snow will fall and quite possibly settle at sea level. This is kind of rare in this country because we are surrounded by "warm" water along with our climate and position on the map so to speak.

Note, heavy snow has now turned back to rain 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms and Tornado's

Snowing quite heavily in Buntingford, East Hertfordshire. About 4cm so far, although it is very wet snow so don't think it will last long

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by North London Hotspur
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Cold Cold
9 minutes ago, Snoopie42 said:

Hi @paget Im at 80 metres above sea level (its currently snowing but not sticking to anything). I would say if you are above 150 metres that would always be of help in these marginal situations, however, some of the more experienced members maybe able to provide a more scientific answer ☺. Whats more notable here is the wind, really howling! Have a nice day.

Thanks @Snoopie42 ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

Odd flake shooting past window now it’s light but that’s it temp stuck at 1.6c so feels unpleasant in wind ... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!

What a grim walk to the station-blasted in the face by snow rapidly turning to sleet which can’t be shaken off and is like being hit with a slush puppy over and over. Can’t believe the normally tiny babbling brooks have turned into raging torrents overnight and burst their banks, must really have poured all night. Then again I’ve only lived here 2 months so perhaps it’s normal but there are new formed lakes all over the place! Beats dull grey dry weather even if a tad painful!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Still snowing, not really sticking but that's good enough for me. Shame( for me it )missed crimbo day but  at least the tree is still up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
22 minutes ago, paget said:

Quick question for a beginner, when elevation is talked about what is the norm? Low, high?  I realise the mountains etc are high but for us normal people! I've never looked, and assumed we are low as we are in a valley, ours says 375ft?

Still snowing here, but small flurries not the big flakes you really want! 

Here's what the UK Mountain & Hill Walking website says re the drop in temp with altitude. So you can see that in marginal rain/snow situations like today, being at 300m elevation could make all the difference to what falls and whether it settles.

Under normal atmospheric conditions, as altitude increases, air temperature drops between 1°C and 3°C for every 1,000ft (300m) height gained. For dry air the temperature drop is higher, saturated air the drop is more likely to be 1°C. In practice, this means that the temperature at the top of a 3,000ft (900m) mountain will be at least 3°C cooler than the valley, but could be up to 9°C colder! A good rule of thumb is to assume 2°C temperature drop per 1,000ft (300m).

http://www.mountainsafety.co.uk/Weather-Temperature.aspx

Posted
3 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

Here's what the UK Mountain & Hill Walking website says re the drop in temp with altitude. So you can see that in marginal rain/snow situations like today, being at 300m elevation could make all the difference to what falls and whether it settles.

Under normal atmospheric conditions, as altitude increases, air temperature drops between 1°C and 3°C for every 1,000ft (300m) height gained. For dry air the temperature drop is higher, saturated air the drop is more likely to be 1°C. In practice, this means that the temperature at the top of a 3,000ft (900m) mountain will be at least 3°C cooler than the valley, but could be up to 9°C colder! A good rule of thumb is to assume 2°C temperature drop per 1,000ft (300m).

http://www.mountainsafety.co.uk/Weather-Temperature.aspx

Thanks x

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!

On the train to London and it’s amazing to see the different pockets of snow/sleet and the variation of temperature presumably- snowflakes the size of £2 coins and more in Sandy/Biggleswade, a complete white out! No doubt Central London will be wet...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

It's actually snowing now.. Didn't expect it again this year:santa-emoji:

• Like 1

Posted

In Farnham, Huge 10p size flakes being blown about by gusty winds, lovely to see but temps seem on their way up! 

Might not last long but very exciting 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm sunny days, tons of snow!

Quite heavy snow here, settling on the roofs and cars, brisk wind too

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

got bizarre snow here, one end of my street it's snowing heavily, up my end, just the odd large flake, very windy too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

The Snow here is quite heavy with quite large flakes, not settling, but very pretty to watch. At least it feels like winter and not our perpetual Autumn! ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
Just now, lassie23 said:

got bizarre snow here, one end of my street it's snowing heavily, up my end, just the odd large flake, very windy too.

maybe the wind blew it all down the other end:unknw:

• Like 1