Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia generalweather discussion 08/11/2017 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

It’s blowing a gale y’all 

Thank heavens I stuffed my face earlier - has weighed me down!

Roll on the summer y’all 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

56 mph top gust, however I think a stronger one may have just gone through by sound. Will not be surprised to see winds in the 70s during the squall. Must be a big temp gradient between the air mass.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, alexisj9 said:

56 mph top gust, however I think a stronger one may have just gone through by sound. Will not be surprised to see winds in the 70s during the squall. Must be a big temp gradient between the air mass.

We certainly saw temps fall away as the squall came though.

Posted
1 minute ago, Team Squirrel said:

We certainly saw temps fall away as the squall came though.

Temp is droppng in front of it here down to 6.2. Mind you the high was only 8.8.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, JennyJane1 said:

blowing a gale outside here now, decided to watch eastenders for the first time in years for want of anything else to do, how depressing was that?

Very, and the ending was unexpected.

Highest gust now 62mph.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted
7 minutes ago, JennyJane1 said:

blowing a gale outside here now, decided to watch eastenders for the first time in years for want of anything else to do, how depressing was that?

me too. First time I've seen it since Janine was in it. Must be about 10 years. Sad to see the two girls go like that. 

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, JennyJane1 said:

Aye anything to generate discussion for the ratings, what a happy Christmas I’ve not watched it in years. I watched tonight’s took me back to when Bradley jumped off Max’s long dead son, seems the kids have something with high up places, I don’t think they’re dead maybe the older one is. Doubt you watched it but the sisters getting in a tangle drowning in the bottom of the pool was hard to watch. 

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Aye anything to generate discussion for the ratings, what a happy Christmas I’ve not watched it in years. I watched tonight’s took me back to when Bradley jumped off Max’s long dead son, seems the kids have something with high up places, I don’t think they’re dead maybe the older one is. Doubt you watched it but the sisters getting in a tangle drowning in the bottom of the pool was hard to watch. 

no, didn't see that, i think the last time i saw it, den and angie were still in it.

Most of the region by the looks of things will see some falling snow now, question is where will it settle and who will hit the jackpot. My guess now would be somewhere like Oxford perhaps a touch further south. Surrey hills also if things stay the same. 

Anywhere with elevation should at least see some kind of accumulated snow. Lower levels maybe temporary in heavier bursts 

• Like 2

Posted

Just looked at the radar we inform a wild and wet night it looks  like

Posted
Just now, tinybill said:

Just looked at the radar we inform a wild and wet night it looks  like

Think the wind will die down after the squall bit. It swings round to a westerly then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow

Merry Christmas Everyone!! 

Hope we see some snow ... Certainly add some atmosphere to the festivities - nice to see us in with a fighting chance for once ....

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Sweet pot seems to be just west of London for now on the Met Office site, lots of heavy snow symbols showing up around Oxfordshire & Bucks, Chilterns should do well. London is forecast sleet though, but wet snow could still settle if its heavy enough, guess a lot of slush like the other week could be on the cards.

Yh really windy, thought a big tree was going to fall on me earlier on this evening.:unsure2:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
49 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

what an abomination of a christmas weather wise:sorry:

Vile!:(

Posted

morning  all have a mery xmas and  new year ralking of weather all i can say its looking interesting  to say theleast!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Morning Gang a Merry Christmas to all.

Still massive differences this morning on all the high res models I have rated them out of 10 for our region based upon the most likely showing snow. 10 heavy snow fall, 1 nothing but rain.

Lets get the bad out the way first 

HIRLAM 2/10 

overview_032.jpg?2017122600overview_033.jpg?2017122600overview_034.jpg?2017122600

ARPEGE - 3/10 - Shows snow but very hit and miss and patchy 

overview_027.jpg?2017122600overview_030.jpg?2017122600overview_033.jpg?2017122600

ICON 4/10 -While it shows widespread snow its very brief on the back edge so any accumulations likely to be temp or small 

overview_026.jpg?2017122600overview_028.jpg?2017122600overview_030.jpg?2017122600overview_032.jpg?2017122600

EURO4 5/10 - EURO4 tends to have a pretty poor signal I have been told when it comes to snow and usually under does it so this is nice..

Rain/Snowfall EURO4 We 27.12.2017 00 GMTRain/Snowfall EURO4 We 27.12.2017 06 GMTRain/Snowfall EURO4 We 27.12.2017 12 GMT

GFS 8/10 Heavy persistent snow would be quite a nice covering I would have thought but the reverse to the EURO4 it likes to over do it a tad

overview_030.jpg?2017122600overview_036.jpg?2017122600overview_042.jpg?2017122600

The ECM snow depth ones that are posted in the Model thread a lot I have not included simply because I think they are pretty poor. It calculates the amount of snow falling from the sky not what will settle. Just like the above it may transpire that we are all the wrong side of marginal see falling snow and nothing settles.

The ECM is also way way further north than all the above which have a good agreement on the lows position. Now all we have to do is cross our fingers and toes wish upon a star (not the one on the tree) and hope the cold air undercuts quicker and quicker on todays runs.

EDIT: Just wacthed the BBC forcast that came out last night they seem to be following the ECM idea. Of course they have there own models, so I am wondering if we are seeing a southward correction (like last time) on this system. I am trying to find my live surface pressure website that gives real time info.

EDIT 2: Best thing really to do is scrap all the models today and stay away from the PC/Mobile till around 00z tonight and watch how things unfold. As it looks like 00z tonight will be the tipping point.

Edited by Surrey
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
8 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Morning Gang a Merry Christmas to all.

Still massive differences this morning on all the high res models I have rated them out of 10 for our region based upon the most likely showing snow. 10 heavy snow fall, 1 nothing but rain.

Lets get the bad out the way first 

HIRLAM 2/10 

overview_032.jpg?2017122600overview_033.jpg?2017122600overview_034.jpg?2017122600

ARPEGE - 3/10 - Shows snow but very hit and miss and patchy 

overview_027.jpg?2017122600overview_030.jpg?2017122600overview_033.jpg?2017122600

ICON 4/10 -While it shows widespread snow its very brief on the back edge so any accumulations likely to be temp or small 

overview_026.jpg?2017122600overview_028.jpg?2017122600overview_030.jpg?2017122600overview_032.jpg?2017122600

EURO4 5/10 - EURO4 tends to have a pretty poor signal I have been told when it comes to snow and usually under does it so this is nice..

Rain/Snowfall EURO4 We 27.12.2017 00 GMTRain/Snowfall EURO4 We 27.12.2017 06 GMTRain/Snowfall EURO4 We 27.12.2017 12 GMT

GFS 8/10 Heavy persistent snow would be quite a nice covering I would have thought but the reverse to the EURO4 it likes to over do it a tad

overview_030.jpg?2017122600overview_036.jpg?2017122600overview_042.jpg?2017122600

The ECM snow depth ones that are posted in the Model thread a lot I have not included simply because I think they are pretty poor. It calculates the amount of snow falling from the sky not what will settle. Just like the above it may transpire that we are all the wrong side of marginal see falling snow and nothing settles.

The ECM is also way way further north than all the above which have a good agreement on the lows position. Now all we have to do is cross our fingers and toes wish upon a star (not the one on the tree) and hope the cold air undercuts quicker and quicker on todays runs.

Nice post Surrey thanks ? and a merry Christmas to you too, just to add Arome to the mix and it looks pretty good .

AF8F221B-6129-4435-A211-10F6C149BD51.png

33337AFA-BB97-4AE3-A227-47A91F69D8F2.png

CAE035AF-BF6F-41FA-B664-621B778ED384.png

Edited by Mark wheeler
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Here's this morning's BBC/Met Office forecast for Weds. The biggest 'take' from the sequence is that the area of snowfall dwindles as the system moves east, so by the time it reaches eastern coastal counties it looks as if we end up with a few wet flakes. But looking very interesting for the western half of the Region!

Just seen your post @Mark wheeler and AROME is certainly far more bullish about a decent area of falling snow making it to the far east of our Region. Just goes to highlight the uncertainty!

Here's the beeb sequence for 01.00 hours, 05.00, 07.00 and 11.00 hours Weds:

5a420a8e74854_BBCWed01hours.thumb.jpg.6b207cc776f5edee6f8a7d3985fcd474.jpg5a420aa5eb0ee_BBCWed05hours.thumb.jpg.8c2a188336eebc0351c1697997f72289.jpg5a420ab2b1984_BBCWed07hours.thumb.jpg.b0ae90403ea66f49b302371b968eb2d0.jpg5a420ad724d2e_BBCWed11hours.thumb.jpg.fc852774a6cdcea38591a36a6a82df25.jpg

• Like 1