Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia generalweather discussion 08/11/2017 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Fairwell snow, until next time (don’t leave it  another 4 years please) 

Id prefer that chart over mild wet, windy Atlantic gunk. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

I want to see the geminids tonight, but it's forecast to be cloudy...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Could be a surprise Thursday for some yet we are stating Winter is over, two weeks of mild and so on, some of you need to be sent to the Artic! :diablo:

Mild is far from set in stone for Christmas just yet, its 12 blooming days away!!

Edited by Kent Blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 hours ago, shotski said:

The 00z GFS would have us in a pretty slack SW flow, probably pretty cold for us in the south east but useless for any snow. I was just trying to point out the directional flow on my previous post. ?

9F12BD68-EC91-43E9-9FAB-8452D1B4EC4B.png

That chart looks quite pleasant for us, especially if it'll be a sunny high. Cold by night with some frost and fog, very seasonal. 

Posted
1 hour ago, saint said:

Still snow on the ground here and the rain has managed to make untreated paths absolutely lethal... Literal sheets of ice out there at the moment. 

Same here in Dunstable. Children were struggling walking to school this morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

It's a yucky, grey and wet morning here and feeling almost tropical at 6C, with a light SW'ly wind. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

It's a yucky, grey and wet morning here and feeling almost tropical at 6C, with a light SW'ly wind. 

yep same here, didn't need to wear my favourite hat this morning :(:(

Posted

It’s pretty remarkable how close I was to being on the snow line, less than 20 miles to my north Narnia for hundreds of kilometres. I did see a fair bit of falling snow more than previous winters combined just unlucky.

0E271283-BFB1-4577-A940-9C989CF911FF.thumb.jpeg.c4eebffb2defeb1e2d3bdc144055bb11.jpeg

Posted
27 minutes ago, Optimistic said:

Same here in Dunstable. Children were struggling walking to school this morning.

I was hoping it would be better, i have to walk to town later maybe it'll be less icy by then.

Posted

I notice GEFS give London a 95% chance of snow tonight highest I’ve seen it a westerly flow is almost always pants not just for London but all of us. The jaffa cakesing M4 corridor at it again, however I suspect if you are S of the wretched M4 with some altitude you’re set. :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

The wind is chilly. Most of the snow gone.:cray:

Unless it's the school entrance now under an inch of icy yuck. 

Now raining, so hubs has gone and gotten us hot sausage rolls and ordered a big box of retro sweets.

yum.

• Like 1

Posted

All my snow is gone. I am tempted to drive to the Chilterns again to get my snow fix- there must be a couple of inches remaining there.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Bricriu said:

All my snow is gone. I am tempted to drive to the Chilterns again to get my snow fix- there must be a couple of inches remaining there.

A bit of a rapid thaw setting in all places some snow possible tonight might settle above 150 meters.

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France

RIP snow - it was short and sweet, good while it lasted but alas farewell. 

What I would really like to see is a good old fashioned Russo/Scandi high with LP in the channel feeding in easterlies giving power snow and maxes of -5 C but there appears to be little chance of that in the immediate future with temps of +4 C at Moscow and Archangel. 

Posted
17 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

A bit of a rapid thaw setting in all places some snow possible tonight might settle above 150 meters.

So are you saying it would be all gone from the Chilterns too? There was about seven inches there yesterday. It was a tremendous sight. . Anyway, I live 75 metres above sea level, could i see snow here tonight?

Edited by Bricriu

Posted
10 minutes ago, Bricriu said:

So are you saying it would be all gone from the Chilterns too? There was about seven inches there yesterday. It was a tremendous sight. . Anyway, I live 75 metres above sea level, could i see snow here tonight?

I don't think it's all gone but I think it will be looking in a sorry state. Yep, even to low levels.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

I don't think it's all gone but I think it will be looking in a sorry state. Yep, even to low levels.

I don't want to see it like that- i prefer to remember it how it was yesterday:) So I will stay at home. So hopefully some snow tonight, before the milder weather takes hold! Hopefully not for too long, If the GFS is to believe we might have something to cheer about towards the end of the month!

Edited by Bricriu

Posted
3 hours ago, JennyJane1 said:

I was hoping it would be better, i have to walk to town later maybe it'll be less icy by then.

Went out for lunch an hour ago and it is still very icy in some of the pavements. See first photo. The hills around Dunstable still has some snow but it is melting (see second photo)

20171213_124533.jpg

20171213_115803.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, Optimistic said:

Went out for lunch an hour ago and it is still very icy in some of the pavements. See first photo. The hills around Dunstable still has some snow but it is melting (see second photo)

20171213_124533.jpg

20171213_115803.jpg

I like that second photo. How high up is it there? By the way thanks for your tip about going to Wendover Woods.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

The snow left here is bubs snowman, snowman on the corner and the big pile of white by a side road. Still raining a bit.

Posted

Does anyone remember the snow event of Feb 2nd 2009. This is what first got me interested in the weather, but in the run up to that, i didn't actually look at charts etc so don't actually have a clue what happened.. I was wondering if anyone here knows the synoptic low down of what occurred, or can point me in the direction of a thread that will show me this. Many thanks.