Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia generalweather discussion 08/11/2017 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

We had a small amount of snow last night which froze; as you can imagine, things were very icy this morning.  We were down in Essex today for my aunt's fiuneral, and there appeared to be more snow there than here in South Norfolk.  I can confirm the crematorium was very cold, though!

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Herne Bay/Whitstable/Canterbury - No Snow

I drove south from Canterbury towards Sellindge and Hythe and the hills have had about 1-2cm, plus it's freezing down this way

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises

^ @m1chaels

There seems to be some kind of sleet/snow appearing on the radar:

https://en.sat24.com/en/gb/snow

I'm hopeful for a 'top up' on top of the 15cms here!  but expect a mild thaw till a chance for more on thursday:

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?&ech=36&mode=2

• Thanks 1

Posted

Would it be fair to say that the long range GFS charts are suggesting high pressure building over Spain/southern France next week? Pulling in an Easterly air flow. 

Has anyone else seen this? 

Edited by James Oliver
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
22 minutes ago, James Oliver said:

Would it be fair to say that the long range GFS charts are suggesting high pressure building over Spain/southern France next week? Pulling in an Easterly air flow. 

Has anyone else seen this? 

Hi mate

No I don’t think that would be a fair assumption. If the high formed over France and Spain it would pull in a South westerly as high pressure rotates in a clockwise motion. Low pressure anti clockwise. ?

ideally we need a high to form to the north east or north west for colder conditions. Tentative indications of this around or after Xmas. 

Edited by shotski

Posted
19 minutes ago, shotski said:

Hi mate

No I don’t think that would be a fair assumption. If the high formed over France and Spain it would pull in a South westerly as high pressure rotates in a clockwise motion. Low pressure anti clockwise. ?

ideally we need a high to form to the north east or north west for colder conditions. Tentative indications of this around or after Xmas. 

Damn! I get so confused! 

Thanks for pointing this out.. what a dumb ass I am! 

Posted
15 minutes ago, James Oliver said:

Damn! I get so confused! 

Thanks for pointing this out.. what a dumb ass I am! 

No probs ?

this is the sort of chart that would bring an easterly to our shores. 

34B78A07-A327-4D9E-B76E-222F8662BF3E.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Light rain is killing my snow 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

4.6°, dp 4, rain. The media's "big freeze" didn't last long.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Raining here now. Doesn't feel nearly as cold as last night. 

Just above freezing here in central Essex. Lovely sunny day apart from Small Wifey deciding to bust her ankle by slipping coming down the stairs. Worse day for getting a fracture dealt with in A&E with all the surface ice about. Ho hum.

• Like 1

Posted

Been a strange day temperature wise here. Lowest temp I recorded was -4.2c at 9.15 this morning. Been below freezing all day managed -0.3c briefly at 2:15 this afternoon. Then plumeted to -1.5c at 4:45 and now up to 0.4c, first time above freezing all day.

snowcover mostly intact despite the sunshine all day and the pavements and roads very hazardous. All the ice and snow will go tomorrow with rising temps and rain.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

I got an inch of wet, sloppy, nasty slush on Sunday from the big freezings, lucky me.:bad:

I expect that will be my lot for quite some time if recent runs are close to being right.

Hows that song go, All I want for Christmas is yoooooooooooooo hooooooooo, a bartlet, yeah yeah, and repeat.:wallbash:

gfs-0-276.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
4 hours ago, shotski said:

Hi mate

Its coming up from there but it' over us with us in an easterly flow, how the 12z had it anyway, haven't seen 18z just got in from pool night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
19 minutes ago, snowray said:

I got an inch of wet, sloppy, nasty slush on Sunday from the big freezings, lucky me.:bad:

I expect that will be my lot for quite some time if recent runs are close to being right.

Hows that song go, All I want for Christmas is yoooooooooooooo hooooooooo, a bartlet, yeah yeah, and repeat.:wallbash:

gfs-0-276.png

hopefully next winter will be four days long

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
20 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

hopefully next winter will be four days long

Winter isn't over the cold comes back tomorrow. Though not cold enough to bring snow to the se most probably. However later in the week looks interesting. I'm also not sure about the models at the minute. They are notorious for trying to end cold early. We'll see where we end up next week then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 hours ago, alexisj9 said:

Its coming up from there but it' over us with us in an easterly flow, how the 12z had it anyway, haven't seen 18z just got in from pool night.

The 00z GFS would have us in a pretty slack SW flow, probably pretty cold for us in the south east but useless for any snow. I was just trying to point out the directional flow on my previous post. ?

9F12BD68-EC91-43E9-9FAB-8452D1B4EC4B.png

Edited by shotski

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
12 minutes ago, shotski said:

The 00z GFS would have us in a pretty slack SW flow, probably pretty cold for us in the south east but useless for any snow. I was just trying to point out the directional flow on my previous post. ?

9F12BD68-EC91-43E9-9FAB-8452D1B4EC4B.png

that chart is as christmassy as an easter egg:sorry: two week mild spell approaching:sorry: or weather doom as it's known.:sorry:

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

that chart is as christmassy as an easter egg:sorry: two week mild spell approaching:sorry: or weather doom as it's known.:sorry:

Have to admit not the best chart but certainly not the worst. It would certainly feel cold, crisp and er...even ?? 

Posted
10 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

It would be dry at least and probably frosty so it would be seasonal!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1