Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia generalweather discussion 08/11/2017 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes of any sort
Just now, Danny* said:

Completely agree - The number of times I've had a 4x4 driver just pull out and cut me off thinking they own the road.

It’s certainly a genaralisation. Honda drivers old, French cars no good or don’t care about safety, Ford ??? Etc. It’s wrong to generalise about driving because of a unconscious bias. 

Main thing is with the ice around later and now, drive as if there is an egg under each pedal and as was said increase stopping distances massively. Even winter tyres won’t save you. 

• Like 1

Posted

lets not tear all 4x4 drivers to shreds... audi drivers tend to be the worst. it used to be bmw but audi have taken the lead. i've also noticed in recent years that some of the worst speeders and dangerous drivers are young women. the boy racer is being replaced by the girl racer!

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

you are right about the tyres but not rear wheel drive, front wheel drive is more controllable in slippery conditions. the most important thing, no matter what you drive, is to drive appropriate to the conditions i.e. select higher gears and no hard braking. also allow much longer distances for braking.

I had a Range Rover sport on the standard tyres (read summer Pirelli scorpions) and had to park in a car park at our old cottage. My wife a merc rwd kompressor coupe, on winter tyres. We went to swap cars over so I could go on driveway in 2013 I think and I could barely get out of sheet ice car park. Even with all land rovers trickery. She managed in the merc to drive around it so easily with proper winter tyres. Again though would be better in a fwd or 4x4. 

I got completely stuck in a manual front wheel drive Volvo on a tiny hill with cheap tyres! I had never been stuck before. Or since. It even had a winter mode. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

lets not tear all 4x4 drivers to shreds... audi drivers tend to be the worst. it used to be bmw but audi have taken the lead. i've also noticed in recent years that some of the worst speeders and dangerous drivers are young women. the boy racer is being replaced by the girl racer!

Hey! No fair, I'm an Audi driver! ? Although tbf I'm on a mission to confuse the bejeezus out of people by being the most courteous Audi driver they've ever seen ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I agree. All this generalisation is grossly unfair...I mean, everyone knows that drivers of blacked-out black BMWs, and who play over-loud doof-doof 'music', are drug dealers...?:shok:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

Hello Bobby, see you on the roads. I'll be the one in the Audi Quattro :) Double whammy :) Yes i have winter tyres. But i haven't put them on:)

Posted

Any one seen the gritters? I saw one at midday but I assume a lot may have been washed away. 

Will be a busy night for them. 

Posted
Just now, fluid dynamic said:

Hello Bobby, see you on the roads. I'll be the one in the Audi Quattro :) Double whammy :) Yes i have winter tyres. But i haven't put them on:)

I'd rather be inside a Suzi Quatro!:oops:

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, fluid dynamic said:

i'll be the one in the land rover discovery, waving as i pass you stuck on a speed bump :p

Posted
6 minutes ago, jgbgt said:

I had a Range Rover sport on the standard tyres (read summer Pirelli scorpions) and had to park in a car park at our old cottage. My wife a merc rwd kompressor coupe, on winter tyres. We went to swap cars over so I could go on driveway in 2013 I think and I could barely get out of sheet ice car park. Even with all land rovers trickery. She managed in the merc to drive around it so easily with proper winter tyres. Again though would be better in a fwd or 4x4. 

I got completely stuck in a manual front wheel drive Volvo on a tiny hill with cheap tyres! I had never been stuck before. Or since. It even had a winter mode. 

My ex had a beautiful new BMW sports model.We lived on an incline which was so slight it was barely there, one winter's day he set out in the BMW, it had no grip whatsoever and he couldn't get to the end of the road so he came back and asked me for the keys to my dented clapped out Austin Metro.:rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun
6 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I agree. All this generalisation is grossly unfair...I mean, everyone knows that drivers of blacked-out black BMWs, and who play over-loud doof-doof 'music', are drug dealers...?:shok:

Haha... Ed

I have a BMW (night pack edition) in black. lol 

im pretty sure all the jobless yummy mummies in their 4x4 in my road on the way to drinking their gallons of coffee before Pilates - think that of me!! 

LOL ? 

Posted
Just now, Ben Lewis said:

Haha... Ed

I have a BMW (night pack edition) in black. lol 

im pretty sure all the jobless yummy mummies in their 4x4 in my road on the way to drinking their gallons of coffee before Pilates - think that of me!! 

LOL ? 

to be fair ben, those 'yummy mummies' have those cars because they have done well in the marriage department. and i'm surprised none of our lady members have picked up on it-  try calling a mummy "jobless" to her face....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Today has been interesting! Left home at 8am this morning to heavy sleet and arrived down at work in town to find just rain.

It then snowed and rained off and on all day, never settling at work as it was too warm.

This evening, got home to some snow on the ground! Not a lot, no more than a cm or two but still snow!

It is going to be lethal out there in the morning if the temperature stays low and my Suzuki Swift is no 4x4 :rofl:

IMG_2854.JPG

IMG_2855.JPG

• Like 2

Posted
34 minutes ago, c00ps said:

Lots of assumptions going on here. Having just bought a 4x4 for my daily commute to London I loved it this weekend. I for one know that when you hit the ice doesn’t mater if you’ve got the best 4x4 you’re gonna skid when you break on it. Drove for 10 years in Canada. That’ll teach you the quick way lol 

Evening Coops how long you been back in UK, take it you are still in touch with Lou?

Posted
10 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

to be fair ben, those 'yummy mummies' have those cars because they have done well in the marriage department. and i'm surprised none of our lady members have picked up on it-  try calling a mummy "jobless" to her face....

Oh I have and I would. 

Yummy mummies are quite different from my mum. 

Still working at 61 years old and get a bus to work 5 days a week and worked during my whole childhood.. no yoga pants/ no coffee meetings/ no Pilates/ does have a job and no 4x4 thinking their invincible to icy conditions! 

‘Theyve done well in their marriage’ married a well off husband - which means they don’t have to work - which makes them jobless... I don’t quite follow your point? 

Anyway.. I feel this has got a bit beyond my original post - “the 4 jobless mummies speeding down our non grit road carelessly in the 4x4”

lol

Edited by Ben Lewis

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

Oh I have and I would. 

Still working at 61 years old and get a bus to work 5 days a week and worked during my whole childhood.. no yoga pants/ no coffee meetings/ no Pilates/ does have a job and no 4x4 thinking their invincible to icy conditions! 

‘Theyve done well in their marriage’ married a well off husband - which means they don’t have to work - which makes them jobless... I don’t quite follow your point? 

Anyway.. I feel this has got a bit beyond my original post - “the 4 jobless mummies speeding down our non grit road carelessly in the 4x4”

lol

Has veered/skidded off if you excuse the pun. 

Should also point out they could have earned it all in their own right. My wife might be considered one of those, but she is a shareholder Director of a company with an MBA and her company take more in a day than my little thing turns over a year. 

You wouldn’t know as I look awful in yoga pants.... small calfs you see. 

Posted
Just now, JennyJane1 said:

OMG no word of a lie, we have heavy settling snow :cold::yahoo:

We have light unsettling rain!:santa-emoji:

• Like 1

Posted

How do you see a posters m location on a mobile? 

Posted
5 minutes ago, jgbgt said:

Has veered/skidded off if you excuse the pun. 

Should also point out they could have earned it all in their own right. My wife might be considered one of those, but she is a shareholder Director of a company with an MBA and her company take more in a day than my little thing turns over a year. 

You wouldn’t know as I look awful in yoga pants.... small calfs you see. 

True, of course their are differences  .

Good for her and respect... as long as she drives sensibly on icy roads ;-) 

Edited by Ben Lewis

Posted

Oh I have and I would. 

Still working at 61 years old and get a bus to work 5 days a week and worked during my whole childhood.. no yoga pants/ no coffee meetings/ no Pilates and no 4x4 thinking their invincible to icy conditions! 

lol

the well off bit was referring to the car. we have 4 kids at home, i work full time self employed in building and property maintenance but i wouldnt describe myself as "well off" - we do struggle at times. my wife doesnt have a "job" but besides washing, cleaning etc, outside of school hours, her (our) work starts...

i'll leave this for the mothers here to rip you a new one....

• Like 1

Posted

True, of course their are acceptions.

Good for her and respect... as long as she drives sensibly on icy roads ;-) 

Haha. Always sensible. Our 2 year old now says “Daddy watch out” or “dangerous” lol. 

Getting cold here (hailsham countryside) and some surfaces are so slippery. But still just under freezing, any one got some real cold temperatures yet, or is that later.  Skies clear. Still a stiff breeze. 

Posted
5 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

the well off bit was referring to the car. we have 4 kids at home, i work full time self employed in building and property maintenance but i wouldnt describe myself as "well off" - we do struggle at times. my wife doesnt have a "job" but besides washing, cleaning etc, outside of school hours, her (our) work starts...

i'll leave this for the mothers here to rip you a new one....

My mother also washed, cleaned etc, outside of school hours 

but still didn’t speed down an icy road without a care in the world (my original post) 

feel free 4x4 Mother’s - to rip me apart how you justify speeding down an icy road whilst us (mere mortals) take care!