Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia generalweather discussion 08/11/2017 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
1 minute ago, tight isobar said:

This christmas period is 14 days away...

A nearly lifetime in meteorlogical terms!

And christmas is by no way exacted at all.

With an' array of options on the table.

However thats one for the model thread?

I don't need to go to the model thread to express my thoughts about snow over Christmas :wink:

Posted

Rain sleet odd bit snow here,temp and dew point both dropping,looking like will start clearing here in about a hour,as others saying think roads will be very icey later

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
31 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I'm still not convinced that the upcoming solar minimum will be sufficient to offset all those signals that act in the opposite direction? Not only is the ever-present AGW signal always lurking in the background, but another El Nino will likely to occur before the turn of the century?:cold-emoji:

Just as I drop the large teapot philosophy, you take it up!:drunk-emoji:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot and sunny, freezing cold and snowy!!

Soon turned to a slushy mess after the snow this morning. Been raining with the odd flake mixed in ever since. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
42 minutes ago, ReindeerMarmalade said:

Skies clearing here and temps creeping down. As @bobbydog says, be careful. I'm considering working from home tomorrow to avoid a > 1 hour commute amongst idiot drivers.

Apparently the decision has been made for me as I have a flat. I'll be treating myself to a new tyre for Christmas. Yay ?

Posted

We've actually got some late sun as the cloud finally starts to break... I get the impression it's going to be like an ice rink out tomorrow morning! 

Edited by saint

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Lots of snow still lying in North Oxfordshire and ice and low temps a issue tonight as skies just begin to clear . Not far from Benson usually a good spot should see -8/9c ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Rain stoppng here, at the min. If there' more coming I hope the temp drops first as it seems to be rising.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)
1 hour ago, bobbydog said:

well. a day of sleet, turned to what could be classed as wet snow for a while but just light rain/sleet now.

however... the cloud is clearing from the west, so we should be getting clear skies over the region just in time for getting dark. it will be still wet on the ground though. the roads cant be gritted wet, so conditions are ripe for some very dangerous ice conditions on the roads and i've just seen a met office warning out for just that. i would imagine there are many younger drivers out there who have never experienced driving on ice. i've been driving for nearly 30 years in all sorts of conditions and all sorts of vehicles including HGV's. i've owned land rovers for several years and been off-roading a few times but the one thing i am most wary of is black ice. you cant see it and no matter if you have 4 wheel drive, winter tyres, ABS, traction control, you still have to be extremely careful. my land rover has all of the above but if i lose it on black ice, it becomes a 2 ton uncontrollable missile. so if you have never driven on ice, BE CAREFUL!! better still, if you dont have to, dont drive at all.

Very well said! Stay safe all.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Regardless of further snow fall around the Medway towns if these temps keep dipping and hit what is expected overnight we could be in for some seriously icy roads and paths tomorrow. 

If, and it is a HUGE if snow comes down on top of that we could have some lying snow tomorrow. 

Either way the risk of disruption is great.

Posted

Well the snow wouldn't come to me properly so I went to it. Butser Hill in the South Downs at about 280m so had plenty of snow on top. 

• Like 1

Posted

Looks like the back edge is about to push through here in Southend. Can see clear skies to my NW. Will be a cold one tonight, lots of ice. To top it off my boiler has conked out, just in time for the coldest night of the season ?

Posted

Temps falling away now, my partner has permission to leave work early and come in late tomorrow due to the threat of icy roads, people are taking this ice threat seriously, especially on the winding rural roads of the Chilterns.

Be careful out there folks.

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France

For most of the day we had rain with some wet sleety stuff coming down, needless to say none settled,  with the temp remaining at +2C. 

Just before sunset the skies started to clear and we were blessed with a 'red sky at night' - since then the temp has been going down and the bar up. 

'Spect there will be a moderate frost tonight - the roads are mostly clear but not so much the pavements with still plenty of slush around, so it will be a bit hazardous for the old 'uns tomorrow morning. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Cold/Snowy Winter! Just SEASONAL!!

Got some sleet and then snow today in Ashtead Surrey but still nothing settled....... So, are we going to have a White Christmas???!!!:Dx

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat

Sky just clearing here , lovely red sky as the sunsets .Well I’m happy we saw snow falling , it didn’t really settle apart from on the downs , but at least we actually got snow this time ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy Winters, Hot and Sunny Summers - Never Mild!

Went for a walk when heavy sleet turned to Heavy Snow in Central London between 12 - 1!  :yahoo:

Literally stood in it, with big and small flakes blowing into my face with a negative windchill! :D:cold::cold:

But, due to the rain before, nothing settled. Damn you rain!!!! :nonono::diablo:

Tonight looks to be the coldest night of the season thus far for many with widespread ice for our region. -4 in Central London which is actually really impressive! :shok:

Keep safe, everyone! :good:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Temp now up to 5C...It's been up and down faster than Katy Price's draws!:nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.

Well today was an unexpected surprise here in St Leonards-on-Sea ( East Sussex ). As late as 7.30 this morning the forecasts on the radio were saying rain for all but the very highest ground well inland. Just over an hour later and the snow was pelting down in a strong wind and rapidly settling here.

I'm not going to criticise the forecasters though. From start to when it finally stopped snowing around 2.30pm the temperature and dew point remained above 0c, quite often close to 2c. A forecasters nightmare.

On the subject of criticism, this article about gritting is worth a read.

https://weatherman79.wordpress.com/

Anyway, it's good to see that so many of us in the region have had some snow in the last 24 hours or so. To those that haven't, never say never.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Hi All

has anyone got a good link for local weather stations. Keen to see how low temperatures get down to tonight. Thanks ?

Posted
3 minutes ago, SenlacJack said:

Well today was an unexpected surprise here in St Leonards-on-Sea ( East Sussex ). As late as 7.30 this morning the forecasts on the radio were saying rain for all but the very highest ground well inland. Just over an hour later and the snow was pelting down in a strong wind and rapidly settling here.

I'm not going to criticise the forecasters though. From start to when it finally stopped snowing around 2.30pm the temperature and dew point remained above 0c, quite often close to 2c. A forecasters nightmare.

On the subject of criticism, this article about gritting is worth a read.

https://weatherman79.wordpress.com/

Anyway, it's good to see that so many of us in the region have had some snow in the last 24 hours or so. To those that haven't, never say never.

A very good article... Over the past few days we have had a perfect example of how borderline these weather phenomenons (because that is how we seem to treat a bit of snow these days) can be, so it is refreshing to have an insider's view of the logistics (and costs) involved in keeping the transport system open.

As far as further snow on the horizon, the 12z GFS has an upgrade for the South and East for light snow on Wednesday evening/night.

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, shotski said:

Hi All

has anyone got a good link for local weather stations. Keen to see how low temperatures get down to tonight. Thanks ?

This is quite good, depending on location: http://wow.metoffice.gov.uk/