Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia generalweather discussion 08/11/2017 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
34 minutes ago, weathergeek said:

You lot were definitely made of tougher stuff but you were also living in completely different times! No Health and Safety Laws, schools not at risk of being sued if not made perfectly safe for the kids, most kids walked to school whereas these days most kids are not only driven but driven by parents who are also having to rush off to work so don't have time to drive carefully.... Plus there were a lot less people trying to get to these places, the primary and secondary schools in my area have literally doubled in size compared to 30yrs ago when I was there!

It's sad but it's today's society's reality unfortunately!

As you say, many are driven to school and part of today's problem is that it is so easy to send a round robin E-Mail, or telephone to say school is cancelled.

I wonder whether the cancellation is ever due to the reluctance of the staff to make their way in, if that is the case, aren't they setting a bad example?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

The cloud from the system in the south is now over us and wind is from the east, but still light.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
23 minutes ago, Frostbite1980 said:

Still not buying it with the position of the low right now....I think a correction west by say maybe 50 miles! Rain or snow, I still think anyone over 150m could see something of interest! Now I really am going to sleep lol 

Historically these sort of set ups have produce a pile of snow for the South East. Lets just say that I will be very surprised if there is not more widespread snowfall for inland areas than what is currently being predicted.:)

fax24s.gif

Edited by snowray
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, snowray said:

Historically these sort of set ups have produce a pile of snow for the South East, lets just say that I will be very surprised if there is not more widespread snowfall for inland areas that what is currently being predicted.:)

fax24s.gif

Last channel low, 2013 really pounded the south coast, where I live was cut of for three days. I Didn't live here then though. In fact the whole of Dover was cut off. But we were cut off from the town too.

Posted
21 minutes ago, SteveyKemp58 said:

Now that todays snow event is finally over and tomorrow looking a bit too marginal I can safely say...

xZJmAf8.jpg

OMG that’s a classic! :D you certainly need a good sense of humour if you’re a UK snow lover!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Precip pep-up ahead of the incoming LPS, highlighted on nw-radar.

Out to the west of london around reading.

And rapidly turning to snow' as snapshots 'highlight'....

Could be a pre-cursor!??

Screenshot_2017-12-11-00-10-08.png

Screenshot_2017-12-11-00-09-22.png

Edited by tight isobar

Posted

And with the cloud and east wind change temp and dp on the way up. Currntly at the 2 expected at midnight. Oh well more rain here tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Everything downgraded again to all sleet for me on Monday. Dew point still 2, which is annoying me to unfeasible levels now ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
15 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Last channel low, 2013 really pounded the south coast, where I live was cut of for three days. I Didn't live here then though. In fact the whole of Dover was cut off. But we were cut off from the town too.

All I'm saying is that this is a classic old school set up, milder air is behind the front so the coast will be mainly rain this time, but there is a lot of cold air at the surface just slightly inland and over the snowfields and uppers of around -5c, looks good enough to me.:cold:

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, SteveyKemp58 said:

Currently 0.5c here with a dew point of 0c, maybe some wishful thinking will give me a better chance! 

snowmageddon.jpg

I was trying wishful thinking lol. May work for you, I'm to close to the east coast for an easterly wind to not warm us up at this time of year. Hopefully the sea temps will be cold enough next time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Temp 0c

DP 0c 

:unknw:

Posted
1 hour ago, alexisj9 said:

Think system is going east now. Is it far enough north?

I know you watch XC, as I do. So you can see those DPs rising as the storm approaches. Not good. Does not bode well when DPs on the up even @ this early stage.

Posted
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: Continental:Warm dry summers, cold snowy winters
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom

Back in the UK for xmas and new years on Friday, hoping there's a little bit of snow left! 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Front way to far north, temps way to high as a result for snow, all the snow from yesterday is gone, I assume melting taking place in other areas with more snow too. 

I've still got some snow here 20% remaining the far SE temperatures are too high but quite widely temperatures are between 0-2C cold enough for snow however issue is my dew point which is +1C. 

Posted

morning all icy out  side have a safe trip  to work  take it easy!!!

19 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

I've still got some snow here 20% remaining the far SE temperatures are too high but quite widely temperatures are between 0-2C cold enough for snow however issue is my dew point which is +1C. 

Certainly something wintry mixed in here but not snow, very sleety, maybe it will turn back to snow I don't know.. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Certainly something wintry mixed in here but not snow, very sleety, maybe it will turn back to snow I don't know.. 

I sense evaporative cooling will be needed to low levels. The radar looks good shame conditions are not more favourable. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Yup raining here too, it sounds icy but I'm not sticking my head out to check

Posted

Raining at 450ft