Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia generalweather discussion 08/11/2017 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
13 minutes ago, Marie said:

Temp has really dropped here , was 8c at midday now it’s 0.7 anyone know if us on the south coast will get a flake or 2 ?? Please I’m so snow starved ?

here's a few flakes- 

chocolate-flake-bars-milk-isolated-white-background-32674746.thumb.jpg.b92e73494cabe2e8c16c67e36bf16743.jpg

:D

Posted

I've got this feeling that tomorrow it's going to snow , had this feeling today in the morning when it was raining and it turned to snow.

we need some luck on our side for once!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
1 hour ago, pages said:

whats this its intensifying to north of region

image.thumb.png.85c971f51128edc58eafd848a1d35899.png

That isn't the north of the region.:nonono:  Is it any wonder those of us in East Anglia felt rather ignored by the SE majority?

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

That isn't the north of the region.:nonono:  Is it any wonder those of us in East Anglia felt rather ignored by the SE majority?

31 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

Interesting tweet from a guy who works for a private weather company based in Norwich:

He's also a member here, Malcolm.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
1 minute ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

He's also a member here, Malcolm.

Thanks Chris. I hadn't realised that. Dan's tweets are always interesting. Do you know what name he posts under here on Netweather?

Posted
2 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

Thanks Chris. I hadn't realised that. Dan's tweets are always interesting. Do you know what name he posts under here on Netweather?

Here he is:

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/profile/11178-staplehurst/

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
2 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

Staplehurst I believe

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
1 minute ago, alexisj9 said:

Still at 0 with dp finally gone to -1

Congrats. I haven't been able to get below 2 for dp :wallbash:

Posted

Interesting. Models say DP should be 2 for you at midnight, and that seems to be what is holding back snow tomorrow as uppers are cold enough. One to watch closely.

Posted
2 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Still at 0 with dp finally gone to -1

What does a lower dp mean? 

Sorry I'm trying to learn 

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
4 hours ago, Dami said:

Bubs' school is closed tomorrow, one happy lil one.:yahoo:

Can't really understand why they shut the schools down after a slight to moderate snow fall - when I went to the senior school in the 50's its was often the case during a cold spell that we would still get to school and find that of the delivery of school milk delivered that morning that the bottles would be frozen solid the extent that the milk was expanding out of the bottle and they would be half covered in snow.

It never occurred to us that a snowfall would be an excuse for a day off school. 

The school itself was about a couple of miles from my home - that did not qualify for the school bus - the normal bus service was just one an hour - never did use that - we either walked or cycled. 

Not sure that it is an altogether good thing - kids need to be challenged from time to time and getting to school under adverse conditions helps that - it is character building. 

Meanwhile if anything the temperature at Watford has climbed fractionally to 1 C - no fresh snow and still cloudy. No fresh snow though there is a belt about say 40 miles o the north of us according to the radar. 

• Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, Danny* said:

Staplehurst I believe

12 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

I should probably change that - that's where I used to live several years ago when I first signed up, but have been in Norwich for quite a while now!

Edited by staplehurst
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Joe Watts said:

Accuweather’s take on tomorrow’s potential “snow”...

59917EFF-E4A6-40DF-B08F-6FF454588A32.png

Well that would be perfect for me however unlikely as I don’t value their thoughts at all lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
12 minutes ago, loafer said:

Interesting. Models say DP should be 2 for you at midnight, and that seems to be what is holding back snow tomorrow as uppers are cold enough. One to watch closely.

Well unless xc weather is playing up the models are wrong. Even have frost on cars.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

Hard to believe it was blowing a gale out there earlier, now it’s as still a.f.

expecting only rain here, but who knows, can’t rule out the odd bit of hail ;)

Posted
8 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

Well that would be perfect for me however unlikely as I don’t value their thoughts at all lol

Their UK winter forecast (released recently) called for a particularly mild and stormy winter this year... hmmm haha

Edited by Joe Watts

Posted
12 minutes ago, mike Meehan said:

Can't really understand why they shut the schools down after a slight to moderate snow fall - when I went to the senior school in the 50's its was often the case during a cold spell that we would still get to school and find that of the delivery of school milk delivered that morning that the bottles would be frozen solid the extent that the milk was expanding out of the bottle and they would be half covered in snow.

It never occurred to us that a snowfall would be an excuse for a day off school. 

The school itself was about a couple of miles from my home - that did not qualify for the school bus - the normal bus service was just one an hour - never did use that - we either walked or cycled. 

Not sure that it is an altogether good thing - kids need to be challenged from time to time and getting to school under adverse conditions helps that - it is character building. 

Meanwhile if anything the temperature at Watford has climbed fractionally to 1 C - no fresh snow and still cloudy. No fresh snow though there is a belt about say 40 miles o the north of us according to the radar. 

Totally agree - everyone has become soft these days. There is no character building for kids. It’s given on a plate. But that’s another subject. Tomorrow I expect like today will have some people with accumulation whilst others just rain. 

Posted
14 minutes ago, mike Meehan said:

yeah, remember it well, and the walking to school in the snow, that was how i fell into an icy puddle one day when i was little in the street, going to school. And the frozen milk, and sitting in class in gloves and coat because there was no heatingThen going home and having liver stew which was warming and which i guess modern youngsters wouldn't eat.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Schools are shut tomorrow here too. We have a pretty treacherous maze of country lanes though, and the compacted snow has made most of the cars trying to leave our road haven’t been especially successful.

I know it probably seems a bit pathetic that there is disruption and closures but people genuinely can’t drive safely in conditions like this because they are so rare. If you take the high school near us with 1000 students, that’s potentially 1000 road accidents waiting to happen. You can imagine on the flip side the kind of grief that school would get if any of their students or teachers were injured in a car accident in snow because they had to get to work.

For me, I’ve got to make the call to either get my usual 6.30am bus to get to the station, or work from home. I’m probably going to take the latter, given I’m fortunate enough to have the option.

if we get a drop more snow it’s be most welcome!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
19 minutes ago, James Oliver said:

Hi, it’s the atmospheric temperature and for snow to fall the dew point at your location needs to be 0 degrees or below otherwise you will only ever get rain even if the 850 temperatures are very low. You could have -20 upper air temperature and a 2m temp of -3 but if your dew points are above 0 you will have plain old rain 

Edited by Frostbite1980
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, James Oliver said:

Dew Point. You need to be looking for a it to be 0.c or below or you'll get rain not snow.

Edited by Team Squirrel