Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia generalweather discussion 08/11/2017 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
3 minutes ago, Nick L said:

No, metres. 

To be honest tomorrow is looking very, very limited for snow potential now. There will be a lucky few but for the most of us it will either be dry or rain.

Ah damn. Well I suppose it's just being greedy after today's great surprise.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Day off work tomorrow, may pop to Biggin Hill on the N Downs (above 200m) to get a snow fix if it looks like rain lower down where I live.

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

It looks as if tomorrow's storm will generate strong NE winds and result in higher DPs...more generally marginal than today. That means I'll see rain all of the time.:shok:

That's ok, I want to go to Norwich on Tuesday,, don't fancy it if it snows then ices up tomorrow night.

• Like 1

Posted

I wouldn't be totally so quick to rule out snow, settling snow will probably limited to the west 50milesor so the band, but I'd bet most places see at least some snow. I'd not be at all surprised if somewhere gets 5cms tomorrow, though obviously best places will be on higher ground.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
5 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

The Shard might the best place, Alexis?:cold:

Lol I agree however my hill is over 100m just lol.

Posted
Just now, kold weather said:

I wouldn't be totally so quick to rule out snow, settling snow will probably limited to the west 50milesor so the band, but I'd bet most places see at least some snow. I'd not be at all surprised if somewhere gets 5cms tomorrow, though obviously best places will be on higher ground.

If the skies were to clear overnight on snow covered ground, would that aid our chances. It looks like staying cloudy here, though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
10 minutes ago, Nick L said:

No, metres. 

To be honest tomorrow is looking very, very limited for snow potential now. There will be a lucky few but for the most of us it will either be dry or rain.

Turning bitterly cold Monday night and Tuesday for the midlands and Home Counties ? First Ice day  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
21 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

i'm looking at the radar, watching a small pink blob, hoping i might catch 10 minutes of light sleet... how sad is that:sorry:

Same. And I've been shamelessly stood at my back door with torch on my head trying to see sleet ?

• Like 1

Posted

So the snow chances have basically gone for tomorrow, at-least I can say I saw a lot of snow  today but sad the rain will wash it away.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Slush fest in Mid Bedfordshire going on right now.... drip drip drip 

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

I'm working in East Grinstead tomorrow at about 109m asl so who knows. Always fun driving through Turners Hill in marginal situations.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Dbarb said:

So the snow chances have basically gone for tomorrow, at-least I can say I saw a lot of snow  today but sad the rain will wash it away.

I'm no professional and I'm scared of the same thing happening.

Last night was cool and the situation certainly developed nicely for us in the N w London and other areas when the BBC said we would be really windy and around 7c however when the Sat started showing the Low pressure not going in that direction surprises started popping up.

Although temps are a bit to high at the moment 

Posted
1 minute ago, Swave Snow said:

I'm no professional and I'm scared of the same thing happening.

Last night was cool and the situation certainly developed nicely for us in the N w London and other areas when the BBC said we would be really windy and around 7c however when the Sat started showing the Low pressure not going in that direction surprises started popping up.

Although temps are a bit to high at the moment 

The bbc are still going for max temps of 2 degrees tomorrow so still dont know what to think. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Skies have cleared here and it's feeling very cold. The roads and pavements are going to be so dangerous tomorrow if the temperature drops further! Wonder if we'll see more snow? 

• Like 1

Posted

still wondering If the lying snow will have any impact on tomorrows precipitation to lower the temperatures? 

Posted

I really do not think tomorrow's event can be called. If they are saying "settling above 100m", then that is far too close to call. The difference between settling at 50m and 150m can be thrown out so very easily. Dew points and temperatures can't be confidently predicted to within 0.5 of a degree even 3 hours before the time, intensity on a front is a total pain to forecast. One thing you always hear again and again in a snow event is "I was expecting that!" or "Total letdown". I confidently predict between 0cm and 10cm of snow tomorrow for the South East!! 

• Like 3

Posted

Must say not much has melted really. Car temp put it at about .5 to 1.5 all day here. Very pleased and surprised. Havent checked the mad thread yet. I am going in. Will report back in a minute 

Posted

Some pretty heavy rain lurking off Brittany headed our way for tomorrow, seems further north than model progs, ARPEGE against radar for 20:00

euro_2000.thumb.png.dfa5089fb483202be2e4a033ae070556.pngoverview_008.thumb.jpg.7bd80eb86598b8189605418ee8352921.jpg

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
7 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Some pretty heavy rain lurking off Brittany headed our way for tomorrow, seems further north than model progs, ARPEGE against radar for 20:00

euro_2000.thumb.png.dfa5089fb483202be2e4a033ae070556.pngoverview_008.thumb.jpg.7bd80eb86598b8189605418ee8352921.jpg

Yes nick keeping a keen eye on the track of this storm...certainly looks further north as it makes inroads...and current track look like large swath southern/central england.

And some intense ppn being modeled.

V-intresting!

trans.png

Screenshot_2017-12-10-20-28-15.png

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 4

Posted
Just now, norfolksnow said:

could that fall as snow?

Most of us on here are hoping it does when it bumps into the cold air over the UK, though the strengthening NEly bringing higher DPs off the N Sea may make it too marginal in places at lower elevation - especially toward the east.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
1 minute ago, Ellozee said:

Some might over higher ground in the NW of our region, but i believe it's mostly likely to be rain for the SE.

Overheads-dependant...

But as we have seen today...

Suprise locations/ and marginality will be the order!