Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia generalweather discussion 08/11/2017 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
2 minutes ago, shotski said:

Due to arrive tomorrow afternoon. 

I don’t think temperatures and DP’s will be low enough below Home Counties. 

No it's seems for those southeast it's always daytime when everything is just hovering above the isotherm.  I count myself lucky with regards to the snow today very rare in my location. Always to the east or to the west by about 30 miles lol.  So I have had my snow fix had a snowball fight with my son and daughter and now can't wait for it to dry out 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Assume it's 100 mlies north when is it expected to arrive. Will it reach Oxfordshire

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
3 minutes ago, DonnaThw said:

What does the really bright purple areas mean on the map please ?

The bright purple is the snow line, so how close to the ground snow is falling - Though I accidentally cut off the key when I screenshotted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

My chance of snow on the nw forecast tells me I've gone from 14% to 54% do you think they are trying to make us feel a little bit included :rofl: :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Danny* said:

The bright purple is the snow line, so how close to the ground snow is falling - Though I accidentally cut off the key when I screenshotted

So if its bright pink, its probably going to snow??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms
Just now, Swave Snow said:

When are the temps supposed to lower so much drip drip going on in nw London

Yes, I hate that dripping sound

Posted
6 minutes ago, James Oliver said:

I like your style! What's the best set up for Kent to be in with any chance of the action tomorrow? 

Storm positioning etc? 

You want a slight north east correction but not by 100 miles as once again midlands will get the most out of this feature. I would say 50 miles and it could be all good for you. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy Winters, Hot and Sunny Summers - Never Mild!
20 hours ago, mpkio2 said:

Good evening all, fellow southerners!

Are snow chances have upgraded a bit over the past few hours, huh? :)

A mixture of sleet/rain and to top it off, some heavy snow? :blink2:

Surely not! :cc_confused:

Tomorrows gonna be a LONG day and I gotta feeling a few surprises may crop up for our region. :wink:

Heres to hoping....:drinks:

I said this yesterday evening and it looks like it was the right call! :shok:

Many posters woke up to a surprise snowfall in places across our region and we've had over 20+ pages of posts in just one day! :crazy:

I think theres a chance that more snow will fall tomorrow for our region.

Yesterday people were worrying about DP's being too high....and the majority of our region still got snow even with these 850temps....:whistling:
image.thumb.png.6733f6a47173a1440a229a38f9711388.png

As long our has its own cold pool and DP's are -0, then wintry PPN will fall. :):cold:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

It's rapidly turning into a horrid slush fest out there now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
2 minutes ago, DonnaThw said:

So if its bright pink, its probably going to snow??

5a2d833b0af00_ScreenShot2017-12-10at18_54_48.thumb.png.b50a8ef60fb79dfdd6afcd318ee8c066.png5a2d833e82785_ScreenShot2017-12-10at18_54_56.thumb.png.5b27d98ad74f77490caa0c63d00a7e76.png5a2d8341e3456_ScreenShot2017-12-10at18_55_04.thumb.png.702bb7d81dfc2d5d32851f9aa5572749.png

3am - 9am the ECM has the snow line dropping from about 1000 feet down to roughly 50-150 feet. So areas below that are likely to see sleet/rain, areas at that elevation or above likely to see snow.

Though obviously you need to account for evaporative cooling etc. But, like Nick said earlier, higher ground seems necessary for tomorrow, lower levels unlikely to see much action. Other High-Res models seem to collaborate that, but we'll see what the 18z bring.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
4 minutes ago, Sweetdream said:

You want a slight north east correction but not by 100 miles as once again midlands will get the most out of this feature. I would say 50 miles and it could be all good for you. 

What's the timing re this. Early morning or afternoon .

Posted
2 minutes ago, Sweetdream said:

Failing that what about a transitional event as it pivots and clears back through later in the day? 

I recall something similar happening in January last year. We saw a period of snow down to sea level as it cleared through.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

The sleet and snow over Wales, Midlands and southern parts of N England should sink SE over our area overnight, though will be light and probably wont amount to much more. The French low should pep up the snowfall tomorrow morning into the afternoon across parts of the SE, as the northern flank of the lows precipitation moves across the SE, heaviest rates modelled towards S and E Kent and E Sussex, but more likely to be rain here, with snow more further N and W  toward London and Essex, northern and western extent rather uncertain this far off, so be interesting which model is on the money.

• Like 6

Posted
Just now, Danny* said:

:oops:5a2d833b0af00_ScreenShot2017-12-10at18_54_48.thumb.png.b50a8ef60fb79dfdd6afcd318ee8c066.png5a2d833e82785_ScreenShot2017-12-10at18_54_56.thumb.png.5b27d98ad74f77490caa0c63d00a7e76.png:oops:

3am - 9am the ECM has the snow line dropping from about 1000 feet down to roughly 50-150 feet. So areas below that are likely to see sleet/rain, areas at that elevation or above likely to see snow.

Though obviously you need to account for evaporative cooling etc. But, like Nick said earlier, higher ground seems necessary for tomorrow, lower levels unlikely to see much action. Other High-Res models seem to collaborate that, but we'll see what the 18z bring.

Thanks got it now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
1 minute ago, Nick F said:

The sleet and snow over Wales, Midlands and southern parts of N England should sink SE over our area overnight, though will be light and probably wont amount to much more. The French low should pep up the snowfall tomorrow morning into the afternoon across parts of the SE, as the northern flank of the lows precipitation moves across the SE, heaviest rates modelled towards S and E Kent and E Sussex, but more likely to be rain here, with snow more further N and W  toward London and Essex, northern and western extent rather uncertain this far off, so be interesting which model is on the money.

What would your thoughts be for the snowline in Essex or further north, should the system follow a different path than modelled?

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Those with snow cover need to hope for clearer skies ASAP to stop that snow melt. Currently broken cloud here and that temp of 7ºC earlier has plummeted close to freezing. XC says 1ºC at Shoreham - not often that is seen there!

Posted
5 minutes ago, stewfox said:

What's the timing re this. Early morning or afternoon .

Like everything depending on wind and how fast this feature is moving it could be morning to /lunchtime.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
26 minutes ago, HighPressure said:

Did you get Snow today?

Sevenoaks a bit hit and miss a covering on the top of the downs, although driving towards Maidstone down the M20 a few hours ago there is an area of quite a decent covering of about an couple of inches (max), where it has remained snow all day??  

Nope all rain here. Temp got up to 8 lol. We were in the sw gale.

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

What would your thoughts be for the snowline in Essex or further north, should the system follow a different path than modelled?

If anything, looks a bit more marginal tomorrow for places that have seen snow today - especially the east of our region, as there'll be a strong NE wind bringing in moisture off the N Sea. Today winds were light M4/Thames northwards under the low moving east - which allowed little rise in temperature / little mixing and allowed evaporative cooling unhindered.

If the low moving NE over France is deeper than modelled, then it will track further north, so be interesting looking at obs to see if it is deeper then models forecast.

Edited by Nick F
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, storms or both at same time..
3 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

Those with snow cover need to hope for clearer skies ASAP to stop that snow melt. Currently broken cloud here and that temp of 7ºC earlier has plummeted close to freezing. XC says 1ºC at Shoreham - not often that is seen there!

Yes it has dropped off a lot, in Haywards Heath I recorded 7.4c at it's peak today, in last few hours it has dropped off quite fast, now 0.3c, DP 0.1c

• Like 1

Posted

Im not really sure If I want more snow here in Essex which is a weird thing to say as any more would cause absolute mayhem.  

Posted

It's slowed down a lot late afternoon onward in North Bucks but never quite stopped.  Bin-top total was a healthy 14.5cm, not bad at all!

IMG_1238.JPG

• Like 9