Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia generalweather discussion 08/11/2017 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!
8 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Word to the wise folks, don't take the BBC/Met Office/Any other app's hourly forecast too literally. It's a one way ticket to a heart condition otherwise!

Then who, or what, do we believe/rely on? Met Office is saying more snow for me through til mid-evening.  I'll be most disappointed if it's not true.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
Just now, ThamesStreamer said:

Then who, or what, do we believe/rely on? Met Office is saying more snow for me through til mid-evening.  I'll be most disappointed if it's not true.

Oh as a general guide they're fine, in fact, the Beeb and Met Office ones are better than most. But don't take the hourly ones too literally. These apps are driven by raw model data, with little or no human input. They tend to cover a fairly broad area so to rely on their forecasts for local weather on an hourly scale is not advisable. Like I said, for an overall picture, it's fine. But for a "Will it snow at 9am?" kinda view it's not the best.

Posted
10 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Word to the wise folks, don't take the BBC/Met Office/Any other app's hourly forecast too literally. It's a one way ticket to a heart condition otherwise!

Although this is true, why do they bother with them if we should take no notice of them.

16 minutes ago, ReindeerMarmalade said:

It's nonsense! No way that's going to happen. For most of today the best Monday forecast has been for a light flurry of sleet and even that's pushing it.

ETA and it's downgraded again ?

IMG_0516.PNG

That doesn't match up to GFS which is forecasting heavy snow tomorrow

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France

The man on the telly said the snow would stop at 3 pm and it did stop at 14:55 hours - still cloudy with a temp of +0.8 C though dry now.  

Prior to that it became lighter then a short period of drizzle. 

Very slow thaw should finish as ground temps drop this evening - expect a very slight frost tonight but according to the radar there are still a number of showers about, so likely to get a further covering.

The gritter eventually appeared on the A41 about the middle of the afternoon. 

Fortunately my daughter and son in law came over this afternoon and cleared my driveway - it's on a slope, ok get getting off but it is a bugger getting the car back in if it is iced up. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
6 minutes ago, West is Best said:

That doesn't match up to GFS which is forecasting heavy snow tomorrow

Excellent! Really hoping the GFS proves correct, then. I'm so snow-starved it's painful - jinxed everything by buying a snow brush for the car in 2013 ?

Posted

So temps on the rise during late afternoon in Norwich, what little white mush soon melted and then it all stopped. Ok so 2c+ isn't BBQ weather but I fear any ppn will be just rain now. However if temps do drop overnight it's going to be slippy out there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, Bricriu said:

Why? So you think the precipitation will be too far to the south. This time we must hope it comes a bit further north.

No I just think it will cover the tops of hills.

Posted

Currently have 5 inches of snow on the ground here near Chelmsford, would that help improve chances of snow tomorrow?

Posted
1 hour ago, PerfectStorm said:

How on earth has farnham got heavy snow but here in North Herts it's sleet? :p 

I was wondering the same thing! I’m near Hook, raining again now!  

Posted

Don't worry any fellow snowless rain drenched souls along the south coast and wherever you may be, it's only the weather...

We aren't jealous at all, not even a little bit... ok maybe a little bit.

I'm more worried about the further outlook in the models at the moment, looking poor in the medium term tbh!

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, Dbarb said:

Currently have 5 inches of snow on the ground here near Chelmsford, would that help improve chances of snow tomorrow?

well if it doesn't melt, you'll have 5 inches of snow tomorrow....

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Uxbridge90 said:

Not a bad day of snow, must have a couple inches now, going to be absolutely lethal on the pavements tomorrow if it freezes over tonight. Meto and BBC still saying some heavy snow is due between 6-8 pm but can't quite see where it'll be coming from on the radar. 

Roads and pavements already are ...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Having a look at the models tomorrow, they don't scream massive snow risk to me with many of them showing mostly rain to lower levels and snow above 100m, perhaps giving small accumulations here and there.

Certainly a lower risk than today, I'd have said.