Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia generalweather discussion 08/11/2017 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy all weather but LOVE snow and thunderstorms

Just started snowing hard here again by the sea in sheerness Kent hopefully more to come temp now 1.3?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

My light snow is turned to heavy snow.

wow.

41 minutes ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

About an hr's worth of snow here, nothing settled. So not proper snow. Bring back January 1987 is what I say...

To be fair it is only 10th December. This is pretty heavy snow across much of the country for so early in winter.

• Like 2

Posted

Been constant and heavy now for 90 minutes and adding up nicely in the garden. Was never marginal down here at any point, was -1c at 9am and still around 0.1c with -2c Dewpoint.

Trees have that Alpine look to them.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Was moderate snow here near Heathrow (work) for 45 minutes from around 1pm, about 2 cms accumulated in that time, stopped now.

24852353_10155279480632773_656261755507842964_n.thumb.jpg.957d04fa3f4ee0e629fe9f72bf1346b9.jpg24910129_10155279480567773_7855121763488197795_n.thumb.jpg.7c6943ea5a6bac4b8105280483ff7f0a.jpg

Video.MOV

Was nothing but rain/sleet at home in Croydon and most the way until Heathrow area on the way to work late morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
1 minute ago, Paul Sherman said:

Been constant and heavy now for 90 minutes and adding up nicely in the garden. Was never marginal down here at any point, was -1c at 9am and still around 0.1c with -2c Dewpoint.

Trees have that Alpine look to them.

Been ridiculously marginal here all day. Temp of 0.4c and DP of -0.2c, it's great when you're just the right side of it!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme
Just now, Nick L said:

Unfortunately it will all be dying a death from here.

Thanks for your reply Nick.

Just light snow here then - can hardly complain, it's been snow all day in margianal west London....

Hopefully our opportunity tonight come to fruition..... SNOW DAY!!! :D

Although I'll be in L'Hôpital tommorow anyway.... bloody epilpsy :closedeyes:

Edited by daveinleices

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, hot and sunny in summer

Hello - serial lurker here, I read all the time but never post as such a novice. Feel like I know you all though!  Just wondered is there any chance of snow for Tunbridge Wells later today or tomorrow? All my apps say different things now. Such a snow lover here.... it’s been lovely to see all the pics of the magic white stuff but I must admit I’m feeling glum not to have seen a flake! 

Posted

I make that 8 hours of persistent snow here in Rayleigh, Essex now - incredible and it's getting heavier again!    Currently 5cm has settled

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
5 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Those surfaces will be warmest. Grass, car roofs etc. lose heat far easier than roads and footpaths etc.

I always did wonder. Patio I can understand if it's near a house but I always thought a concrete path would be really cold, much colder than say foilage (which is always the first to settle)? I'm only going by touch here mind.

Posted

Latest UKV does pep up the snow a bit north of London this evening. Tomorrow still looking snowy in the places I mentioned earlier. Will take a look at the snow depth charts when they're churned out.

• Like 6

Posted
2 minutes ago, Windblade said:

I always did wonder. Patio I can understand if it's near a house but I always thought a concrete path would be really cold, much colder than say foilage (which is always the first to settle)? I'm only going by touch here mind.

The concrete has still got the relatively warm soil underneath it. Not so much of a factor now but certainly for Autumn and Spring snowfall it can make a huge difference. Only makes a degree or two difference, but that's all it takes!

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
1 minute ago, Nick L said:

The concrete has still got the relatively warm soil underneath it. Not so much of a factor now but certainly for Autumn and Spring snowfall it can make a huge difference. Only makes a degree or two difference, but that's all it takes!

Ah I see, that makes more sense. Thanks Nick. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
7 minutes ago, smarklew said:

Hello - serial lurker here, I read all the time but never post as such a novice. Feel like I know you all though!  Just wondered is there any chance of snow for Tunbridge Wells later today or tomorrow? All my apps say different things now. Such a snow lover here.... it’s been lovely to see all the pics of the magic white stuff but I must admit I’m feeling glum not to have seen a flake! 

Seen a few conflicting reports too but I think general consesus is you're in a good place for snow later, though elevation will play a major factor

• Like 1

Posted

This is lovely. Can't remember the last time I saw snow like this so early in the winter. We usually get it in January at the earliest. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

All of us are on the west side of the low now. Just waiting for dp to drop. Not sure it'll make it here tonight.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, hot and sunny in summer
Just now, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Seen a few conflicting reports too but I think general consesus is you're in a good place for snow later, though elevation will play a major factor

Ooh! You’ve made my day! Thank you.