Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia generalweather discussion 08/11/2017 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy Winters, Hot and Sunny Summers - Never Mild!
1 minute ago, snowray said:

Well at least they are not showing 7/8/9c any more, about time!:angry:

True that! :good:

I had a feeling those temps were too high.

Thank god for the last second upgrades, eh? :wink:

Posted

We are snow crazed bunch arent we i love the chase and succes but hate the feeling let down by rain and cold. Now if its like tgis in december its gonna b a long winter of highs lows and prozac. I am desperate to build a snowman for my 5 year old

Posted
2 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Only on the leading edge 1-3am

post that im afraid its over until poss monday-

Thanks Steve may have to stay up and watch 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves

Just watched BBC weather and she said snow could be further south with snow in southern England turning back to rain later so there's a chance to 

Posted
14 minutes ago, Brocken Spectre said:

BBC guys (ie after the news) are all (most??) Met Office Metrologist that present on TV.....Unlike the ones on local or ITV Meridian

Yes, most national presenters are trained or qualified meteorologists. The vast majority of regional presenters (in the BBC) come from a more journalistic background, though some have a strong interest in/understanding of the weather. In a situation like this though, I guess the issue with some broadcasts is that the model data used for graphics can be up to 12-15 hours old, with several of the broadcasts pre-recorded earlier too. While this is still very useful for the general public, I suspect for many in here as weather enthusiasts you're probably better following posts in here, looking at the various model output that routinely comes out throughout each day etc as that will give you more up-to-date insight into what might happen for your local area.

Edited by staplehurst
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, FiftyShadesofWine said:

Let's hope the 15,000 Spurs crowd ,shocking attendance, at the 90,000 stadium today froze their nuts off:hi:

I’m there Wednesday for Spurs-Brighton. hopefully with a better turn out and hopefully a bit warmer than now ❄️

Edited by c00ps

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
1 minute ago, staplehurst said:

Yes, most national presenters are trained or qualified meteorologists. The vast majority of regional presenters (in the BBC) come from a more journalistic background, though some have a strong interest in/understanding of the weather. In a situation like this though, I guess the issue with some broadcasts is that the model data used for graphics can be up to 12-15 hours old, with several of the broadcast pre-recorded earlier too. While this is still very useful for the general public, I suspect for many in here as weather enthusiasts you're probably better following posts in here, looking at the various model output that routinely comes out throughout each day etc as that will give you more insight into what might happen for your local area.

It's often quite easy to tell who are the proper meteorologists and those who have no real background in the weather. I remember our local presenter in Dec 2015 describing night time temps of 15/16c as "fairly mild"...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)
6 minutes ago, Britneyfan said:

Who is staying up to see the first snowflakes fall?

Probably me!

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, FiftyShadesofWine said:

Let's hope the 15,000 Sours crowd shocking attendance, at the 90,000 stadium today froze their nuts off:hi:

Was it? BBC says 62,000!

Posted
2 minutes ago, abbie123 said:

Just watched BBC weather and she said snow could be further south with snow in southern England turning back to rain later so there's a chance to 

We're pretty much at the point where TV broadcasts will offer little value in detail now - it's more down to nowcasting, watching the radar and seeing how things evolve. Likewise site-specific forecasts on websites or apps will offer limited usefulness because there is no human input and they will change with each new model run that comes in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Nick L said:

Was it? BBC says 62,000!

Nick, am I right to be feeling somewhat optimistic about Herts/St Albans tomorrow? It's such a roller-coaster at the moment! 

Posted
Just now, FiftyShadesofWine said:

Doubt it your looking at 10,000 enjoy 5 seats either side, freezing, you'll prob lose as well lol:hi:

? sounds about right lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
2 minutes ago, Nick L said:

It's often quite easy to tell who are the proper meteorologists and those who have no real background in the weather. I remember our local presenter in Dec 2015 describing night time temps of 15/16c as "fairly mild"...

Ridiculous really that someone with such inadequate understanding of the subject should be allowed to present on it.  15-16 overnight would be my idea of "very warm".

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy
1 minute ago, Djdazzle said:

I hate it when they say the weather is going to be cold, yet the temperature shown is actually the seasonal average.

Which could still be cold :p 

Posted
Just now, Nick L said:

Hi Nick 

what's your view on the most northern extent of snow ? norfolk lincs ect/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)
16 minutes ago, Brocken Spectre said:

BBC guys (ie after the news) are all (most??) Met Office Metrologist that present on TV.....Unlike the ones on local or ITV Meridian

My friend is a BBC weather girl and she had to study really hard to get that job

Posted
On 12/7/2017 at 20:19, OfficialKevWX said:

Met Office currently has the snow line around Watford (North London), hoping tomorrrows outputs bring that down 10-15 miles south to give many of us a chance..

So i may only have to travel 13 miles to see some snow then!! Great!!!

Posted
34 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

If im 100% honest its really really borderline - if your south of London then you need elevation

if your north of london you need elevation but may still see snow - 

places like High Wycombe - Luton / Dunstable look set here...

I live in Dunstable!! Going to work in Tring tomorrow. Hopefully will be a scienic drive in. ?

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, DonnaThw said:

My friend is a BBC weather girl and she had to study really hard to get that job

I don't doubt she didn't, however I am not disrespecting her or them, just that the proper Met Office Metrologists are the ones "really" in the know.

Posted
2 minutes ago, norfolksnow said:

Hi Nick 

what's your view on the most northern extent of snow ? norfolk lincs ect/

Kings Lynn is probably a touch on the northern side, but I reckon you could still get a light covering.