Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia generalweather discussion 08/11/2017 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
18 minutes ago, Downpour said:

Meanwhile... this.

I’ll believe it when I see it. A6A1767F-65CA-42C9-B8D4-3DCC6159E924.thumb.png.b86adfe45df2db1a0f1a9890ebd7f1d1.png

Nice! I live in Chingford too. Keeping my fingers crossed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

What a numpty

Nick you got the ECM control day 10-16 whats it like - Easterly?

Eventually behind a dropping system. Has a couple of dropping troughs in the run which would no doubt lead to more pages in here ! Not too dissimilar to some recent gfs runs although the scandi high it builds is not a strong feature 

Edited by bluearmy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
9 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

What a numpty

Not got access to that at home I'm afraid.

Posted
1 minute ago, Matty J said:

My iPhone weather app has now changed from Rain to Snow for most of the day tomorrow so i'll take that! :D:D

Oh it’ll def snow now then ?

Posted
2 minutes ago, danm said:

Nice! I live in Chingford too. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Make that 3 of us!

Looks like it will all start between 9am-10am...

• Thanks 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

What a numpty

It's on weather.us - from the ECM drop down menus, click on the word "Master" and control is the next option.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Just been out to get some petrol in orpington area and all main roads have been gritted!!Strange when rain is forecast for me.Do the Local council know something we dont?Seems a waste of money otherwise.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Eventually behind a dropping system. Has a couple of dropping troughs in the run which would no doubt lead to more pages in here ! Not too dissimilar to some recent gfs runs although the scandi high it builds is not a strong feature 

Cheers nick  & blue

At least were in with a shout - ECM day 10 for london has lots of surface cold in slack air & a trough going south so as a minimum we would have been cold for 12 days--- 20/21st Dec !

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Hotspur61 said:

Just been out to get some petrol in orpington area and all main roads have been gritted!!Strange when rain is forecast for me.Do the Local council know something we dont?Seems a waste of money otherwise.

We forecast for Kent council, your road temps have been below zero since late afternoon so there's a frost and ice risk before cloud builds later.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
38 minutes ago, Sweetdream said:

My best snow is when a streamer sets up in the wash on a n/e wind to drive it inland. I am approx 70 miles away so it's hard to get snow in my location. Where as Peterborough is more towards the East Midlands.  I have seem many a time the snow gets them but I get jaffa cakesy rain./sleet.  I lived I march for 6 years and I got endless snow showers and I think it was 2001 2002 that we had a few feet of snow. The a14 ground to a holt. My other half was out there all night trying to get through with the gritter. He had been up and down gritting sine 3pm. And even though he was out 24 hrs they got an ear full saying they hadn't been gritting.   THey did but it was the public that ignored the warnings and still decided to drive in the heavy snow. AT A SNAILS PACE.  This in turn slowed traffic to a stand still. And this is where the problem lays. The gritt has to be driven over for it to crush and melt the snow and ice. But drivers panicked as they couldn't see due to the heavy snow falling.  

I hold my hate off to all the gritter drivers as the cold winter months are long work hours and sod all sleep. 

OMG, a few feet of snow, you don't say!:shok:

Yes all them places, March would be good for a NEly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

No one going to comment on Monday's system being slightly further north as well? :p 

gfs-2-42.png?18

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

18z upgrade for Monday too, very heavy SNOW!!!!!!:yahoo::ball-santa-emoji:

gfs-2-42.png

• Like 5

Posted
9 minutes ago, Snowflake Queen said:

Ok so I do pull a all-nighter? Lol 

lol not tonight, you'll be so tired you'll fall asleep through the blizzards tomorrow night! :D

Edited by bobbydog
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow
Just now, Nick L said:

We forecast for Kent council, your road temps have been below zero since late afternoon so there's a frost and ice risk before cloud builds later.

Seriousily.no frost here and temp has been on rise since 7pm when there was a slight frost on cars but 30mins ago nothing.Good luck to those in SE thread-Those North and West of London could get a significant fall tomorrow and look forward to all the pics coming in. I still think those with elevation in NW Kent like KNockholt and SM in New Ash Green could also be in business.Anyway it has been a great start to winter model watching and i think i have seen more potential great charts in last 2 weeks than the whole of last 3 winters put together(shame not that many have come to fruition but still think this could be a winter that will deliver for us later this month and into January)

Posted
41 minutes ago, Matty J said:

These BBC forcasts do my head in.

On the 20:55 just now she's got a temp displayed as 0c and all the precip is blue, so rain! But then when she runs it forward the temperature increases but there's now a fair bit of white, so snow!

We are less than 12hrs away and neither us, or the "experts" seem to have any clue if we're getting rain or snow:rofl: 

These supposed experts are only any good these days in winter months when its zonal, mild and damp.:nonono::bad:

Posted

What’s making me chuckle is I’ve spent 10 years in Canada with an average of 10 feet of snow a year yet I’m sitting here excited that we might get a bit of wet snow. There’s nothing like snow chasing in the SE of England. Love it and hate it at the same time. Here’s to us all waking up to some white stuff tomorrow. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather
1 hour ago, alexisj9 said:

herI remember that all the buses were stuck on brighton rd between the flyover and bus station. It was nearly all busses lol. Bus bus oh a car bus bus bus car bus etc. Had to walk to the school and back. The kids enjoyed the hour walk home.

Yes Alexis, I remember this event very well. I was working in Croydon, at the time. Cant remember the year but it was the Monday before Xmas, the evening rush hour. It started off as rain but around 4, reports started coming in of snow falling, on the high ground, close to Croydon. Biggin Hill, etc. About 4.30 or so, the rain turned to heavy snow and as you state, the roads around Croydon, became chaotic. My daughter worked in the same office as me, We lived in Anerley, S.E20, at the tme. What was normally, a 30 minute journey, took her around 3 hours. Anerley Hill was blocked by jack-knifed buses. I left our office, in Laud St near the fly-over, with my office manager, an hour and a half later. It took us over half an hour to drive from Laud St. to the Fairfield Halls, normally a five minute journey, at the most. Crazy times!!

Best wishes,

Tom.

Edited by TomSE12
left word out
  • Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, snowray said:

18z upgrade for Monday too, very heavy SNOW!!!!!!:yahoo::ball-santa-emoji:

gfs-2-42.png

You need to go onto the 0.25 degree charts to see a more accurate picture (you probably won't want to though)

Posted
1 minute ago, Hotspur61 said:

Seriousily.no frost here and temp has been on rise since 7pm when there was a slight frost on cars but 30mins ago nothing.Good luck to those in SE thread-Those North and West of London could get a significant fall tomorrow and look forward to all the pics coming in. I still think those with elevation in NW Kent like KNockholt and SM in New Ash Green could also be in business.Anyway it has been a great start to winter model watching and i think i have seen more potential great charts in last 2 weeks than the whole of last 3 winters put together(shame not that many have come to fruition but still think this could be a winter that will deliver for us later this month and into January)

I'm looking at the road sensors in Kent right now, the road temperatures are below zero widely so the grit is justified.

Posted
2 minutes ago, snowray said:

These supposed experts are only any good these days in winter months when its zonal, mild and damp.:nonono::bad:

Slightly insulting but okay, if you insist.

Posted

I’m going to have some rest!

Tomorrow is going to be a long day and it starts early... keep everything crossed :) 

Hope to see more than a dusting that’s what my location has mustered on near on 5 long years. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Nick L said:

I'm looking at the road sensors in Kent right now, the road temperatures are below zero widely so the grit is justified.

That's fair enough and max temp only been about 3.1 today which started with a hard frost and temps of around -2:good:. I was just commenting that frost had gone from cars in space of 2 hours which was due to the cloud cover increasing.Glad it did as it meant i didnt have to scrape the windscreen again lol!