Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia generalweather discussion 08/11/2017 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
18 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Well I do recall times when they’ve been off despite very good consistency. Surely the system is coming into satellite imagery so one can start getting an idea. 

In 2010 the heavy snow that hit around Exeter was not even forecast if I remember right, on a couple of occasions it was clear from the radar where it was snowing but Met Office still got it completely wrong. Anyway, time to polish off this bottle of vino me thinks:drinks:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves

IMG_0019.thumb.PNG.50f06390fef6a339a3b4c750f3cd0b4b.PNGThere is some snow on the BBC weather website page for London has  for the south east England got any chance or is going to be just rain ..

Edited by abbie123

Posted
5 minutes ago, snowray said:

Yes thats interesting what your saying there, London/Essex and South of there do better from an easterly, in fact an easterly is the best set up, although it can be dry for all of us if HP dominates. Counties to the north all the way up to the Wash and Norfolk do better on a NEly, generally speaking because the 87 and 91 easterlies were good for all of us.

My best snow is when a streamer sets up in the wash on a n/e wind to drive it inland. I am approx 70 miles away so it's hard to get snow in my location. Where as Peterborough is more towards the East Midlands.  I have seem many a time the snow gets them but I get jaffa cakesy rain./sleet.  I lived I march for 6 years and I got endless snow showers and I think it was 2001 2002 that we had a few feet of snow. The a14 ground to a holt. My other half was out there all night trying to get through with the gritter. He had been up and down gritting sine 3pm. And even though he was out 24 hrs they got an ear full saying they hadn't been gritting.   THey did but it was the public that ignored the warnings and still decided to drive in the heavy snow. AT A SNAILS PACE.  This in turn slowed traffic to a stand still. And this is where the problem lays. The gritt has to be driven over for it to crush and melt the snow and ice. But drivers panicked as they couldn't see due to the heavy snow falling.  

I hold my hate off to all the gritter drivers as the cold winter months are long work hours and sod all sleep. 

Posted
29 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Too windy for evaporative cooling. You need calm conditions.

nick... can you please stop posting sensible facts. we want snow. while you're at it, as the models control the weather, can you program them to make snow for all of the southern counties. thanks. :D

Posted

These BBC forcasts do my head in.

On the 20:55 just now she's got a temp displayed as 0c and all the precip is blue, so rain! But then when she runs it forward the temperature increases but there's now a fair bit of white, so snow!

We are less than 12hrs away and neither us, or the "experts" seem to have any clue if we're getting rain or snow:rofl: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Matty J said:

These BBC forcasts do my head in.

On the 20:55 just now she's got a temp displayed as 0c and all the precip is blue, so rain! But then when she runs it forward the temperature increases but there's now a fair bit of white, so snow!

We are less than 12hrs away and neither us, or the "experts" seem to have any clue if we're getting rain or snow:rofl:

She doesn't have long to do it  - tbh, on a night like this they shouldn't bother with tues and Wednesday and spend more time on tomorrow making it clearer what they currently predict

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

She doesn't have long to do it  - tbh, on a night like this they shouldn't bother with tues and Wednesday and spend more time on tomorrow making it clearer what they currently predict

Meanwhile... this.

I’ll believe it when I see it. A6A1767F-65CA-42C9-B8D4-3DCC6159E924.thumb.png.b86adfe45df2db1a0f1a9890ebd7f1d1.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
2 minutes ago, Spikey M said:

It is not showing 20cm for Reading whatsoever! I see he's a Reading student, I think he's trying to convince himself...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms

When do we expect snow/rain to hit London? What's your thoughts about timings?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy
2 minutes ago, Nick L said:

It is not showing 20cm for Reading whatsoever! I see he's a Reading student, I think he's trying to convince himself...

I'd imagine what he's done is looked at the precip accumulation (20mm) and just assumed all of it would fall as snow. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
42 minutes ago, DonnaThw said:

the 18z could it keep dropping south over the day and bring us southerners snow???

Maybe.........maybe not, 18z on its way out in 5 mins, here we goooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!:gathering::spiteful:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
Just now, PerfectStorm said:

I'd imagine what he's done is looked at the precip accumulation (20mm) and just assumed all of it would fall as snow. 

And fiddled the units 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Probably nearer to 2cm he looks a little suspect to me since another person alleged meteorologist tweeted the exact same thing.

21 minutes ago, Nick L said:

What a numpty

Nick you got the ECM control day 10-16 whats it like - Easterly?

Posted

something that everyone should bear in mind- whatever the models show or the tv forecasts predict, it will not exactly end up that way. some will be disappointed but many will be pleasantly surprised. snow is a bit like thunder-  you can predict roughly where it might happen but not exactly. lamp-post watch is activated.... 

• Like 5

Posted

Unbelievably, 18z very marginally further SOUTH!!!!!!!!:yahoo:

12z and 18z comparison.

gfs-0-24.png

gfs-0-18.png

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bobbydog said:

something that everyone should bear in mind- whatever the models show or the tv forecasts predict, it will not exactly end up that way. some will be disappointed but many will be pleasantly surprised. snow is a bit like thunder-  you can predict roughly where it might happen but not exactly. lamp-post watch is activated.... 

Ok so I do pull a all-nighter? Lol