Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia generalweather discussion 08/11/2017 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
3 minutes ago, Long haul to mild said:

HIRLAM 06Z still keen on a period of heavy sleet or snow for East Anglia during Sunday morning. The further inland you are the more likely it is to be snow. Still likely to be that dreaded "wintry mix" for locations like mine which are quite close to the coast.

IMG_0770.PNG

IMG_0771.PNG

please don't say the dreaded inland word!:nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!
Just now, Delka said:

please don't say the dreaded inland word!:nonono:

I know, I hate hearing it too and I hated having to type it!  I love living near the coast but the downside is it ruins our snow chances most of the time!

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Long haul to mild said:

I know, I hate hearing it too and I hated having to type it!  I love living near the coast but the downside is it ruins our snow chances most of the time!

Definitely! The only good chances of snow are normally from easterly setups with trains of showers aimed directly for you which doesn't exactly happen often.. I'm still not convinced i'll get more then a dusting at best for half hour from this event as it is marginal with being next to The Wash. We're either in for a very wintry christmassy wonderland or a very wet autumnal day tomorrow, either way i can't be too disappointed as this has made for some interesting and at times fun model watching

Posted

Well, at the moment it looks like I'll be right on the knife edge for tomorrow(and Monday?!) here in St Albans... But, I'll take it! Better to be in with a chance than none at all.

Edited by saint

Posted
4 minutes ago, Delka said:

Definitely! The only good chances of snow are normally from easterly setups with trains of showers aimed directly for you which doesn't exactly happen often.. I'm still not convinced i'll get more then a dusting at best for half hour from this event as it is marginal with being next to The Wash. We're either in for a very wintry christmassy wonderland or a very wet autumnal day tomorrow, either way i can't be too disappointed as this has made for some interesting and at times fun model watching

Yes, we need an Easterly. Been ages since we had one of them, they always deliver the goods!

Like yourself, my expectations for tomorrow are low......

Edited by Long haul to mild

Posted
1 minute ago, Long haul to mild said:

Yes, we need an Easterly. Been ages since we had one of them, they always deliver the goods!

Like yourself, my expectations for tomorrow are low......

Would always be good for an Easterly but I can't see one happening anytime this winter. Maybe we will be lucky enough to catch a brief bit of winter weather tomorrow, good luck to you!

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Delka said:

Would always be good for an Easterly but I can't see one happening anytime this winter. Maybe we will be lucky enough to catch a brief bit of winter weather tomorrow, good luck to you!

Thanks, you too, about time us people by the coast had some snow luck!

• Thanks 1

Posted

Always a worry being this close to the coast, that gap around the EA coast on accum charts has always been noticeable in the run up to this event although now we move on to high res charts it seems that gap may be closing, Dan Holleys graphic certainly shows this.

@DelkaI'd love to be a lot closer that way thats for sure:yahoo:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

Another sunny day in South Ockendon with a temperature of 3°c (feels like -1° ) Maximum temperature will be 4°c and the lowest temperature will be -2°C.  The dew point is -2°C  and the pressure is falling at 1015.9 mb.

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, Chris101 said:

Always a worry being this close to the coast, that gap around the EA coast on accum charts has always been noticeable in the run up to this event although now we move on to high res charts it seems that gap may be closing, Dan Holleys graphic certainly shows this.

@DelkaI'd love to be a lot closer that way thats for sure:yahoo:

Yes, I would say there has definitely been a shift towards sleet and snow across more of East Anglia in the last couple of model runs so we might still be in the game, especially when the heavier precipitation arrives mid morning. 

The latest ARPEGE shows this well, with only a very small coastal strip in Suffolk getting rain. In fact, it just appears to be the coast itself, as it is snowing out at sea in that map! :unknw:

IMG_0772.PNG

Edited by Long haul to mild
  • Like 1

Posted

Well met o update puts a few more places in the amber warning ! Yesterday I was just outside the area by 20 miles and now I'm in the area about 20-25 miles. So further south the yellow warning has been extended. Good luck to you all 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely

All getting exciting!! this time tomorrow I wonder what this room will be like.? Back to today where’s  the clear blue sky that was promised today? cloudy and sooo cold currently 1.2c here in mid Norfolk 

Edited by slater
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Good grief I'm glad I'm not on forecasting shifts the next few days.

Not entirely sure which region I belong to but I'll join in the frustration here! Literally right on the borderline for tomorrow, but both Euro4 and UKV have been everso subtly shifting the snow line southwards with each run. I'm not losing hope just yet.

• Like 5

Posted
Just now, Nick L said:

Good grief I'm glad I'm not on forecasting shifts the next few days.

Not entirely sure which region I belong to but I'll join in the frustration here! Literally right on the borderline for tomorrow, but both Euro4 and UKV have been everso subtly shifting the snow line southwards with each run. I'm not losing hope just yet.

Good to know UKV is on that trend too.

I think most in here are hoping for the miraculous and for the models to have been too far north with this all along, but at this range it's a real long shot.

Hopefully we can start getting a look at WV imagery later this evening and see how it looks latitudinally vs model output

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

I live just inside Greater London, very close to the border with SW Essex - looks like we may be a little too far south for this! 

Posted

A low of -2c last night with a heavy frost and stil 0.2c now with some nice sunshine. 

I may be in the firing line for rain here (though have everything crossed!) but did manage to make a little frost-man this morning...

IMG_2824.PNG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, lottiekent said:

A low of -2c last night with a heavy frost and stil 0.2c now with some nice sunshine. 

I may be in the firing line for rain here (though have everything crossed!) but did manage to make a little frost-man this morning...

IMG_2824.PNG

It is so bad in the SE that some can only scrape together a frost man in winter

Edited by Weather_Novice

Posted
1 hour ago, Long haul to mild said:

Thanks, you too, about time us people by the coast had some snow luck!

I am assuming it will snow so I will go out this afternoon and get more vegetables for these hearty stews on snow days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

After holding onto hope for a very long time I have finally conceded defeat for this event in Gillingham. 

Good luck the rest of you, may the snow gods smile upon you!