Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia generalweather discussion 08/11/2017 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
5 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

It's brought Scotland in to play now..

a1c3f3f87d5645993aed1eb77fb6ad8a--weather-forecast-local-weather-map.thumb.jpg.4049fd3154234c81cd8789a9662c239d.jpg

Don't shoot the messenger!

Proper Magnet days and pushing the button for the next input screen ' i remember back in the early 1970s they went from a board to the next board ' also we had proper winters back then ' not like todays SLUSH ..

Edited by A Frayed Knot
s
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
2 hours ago, Danny* said:

Latest NMM brings it further South, as does the APERGE

APER.thumb.png.1349d6a4bc50119f915de746f19ad131.pngNMM.thumb.png.0ef24ef30e2a3b826732a821417f43eb.png

If the shift South continues on the 00z, 06z and tomorrows 12z, it could put the South-East into an all snow event.. It's not over yet

Wow it actually has snow for this corner.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms & Snow!
2 hours ago, steveinsussex said:

too much cheese in here

That really made me LOL ? 

Posted
2 hours ago, Cheese Rice said:

It's a 2007 forecast lol.

I should have posted it Saturday night. 

You t*at :D

Well some h-res models are bringing snow south of the M4 before turning back to rain. I’ll be happy with seeing some snow falling such is the despair. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

00z suite round up for Sunday, no charts as i can only post on my phone so sorry about that.

The hi-res models (hirlam/arome) all put the snow line north of the Thames roughly and west of ipswich/Norwich. This is pretty much bang on the arpege prediction too. Depth varies from model to model though from a few centimetres to around 6 inches.

The GFS delivers a dusting at best from Cambridgeshire down through Bedfordshire/Northamptonshire/Herts with the eastern half of east anglia, london and the home counties missing out. I would probably back the hi-res models though.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

Interesting that the HIRLAM has rain to begin with near the East coast but then brings through a band of heavy snow mid morning which seems to remove that marginality. The NMM also shows this too but I remain sceptical and am still expecting rain or sleet at best here.

hirlamuk-1-31-0.png

hirlamuk-1-33-0.png

Edited by Long haul to mild
  • Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

Alex Deakin on Met Office lastest forecast mentions snow for SE and EA tomorrow.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/?stop_mobi=on

Alex says "Snow for a time in SE and EA", graphic was pretty much rain thoughout except Cambridgeshire and Norfolk.  Obviously still subject to change but those of us living south of the A14 will be lucky to have anything other than a transitional snow to rain event during Sunday unless there's a significant change in the track in the next 24 hours.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun
4 minutes ago, Wivenswold said:

Alex says "Snow for a time in SE and EA", graphic was pretty much rain thoughout except Cambridgeshire and Norfolk.  Obviously still subject to change but those of us living south of the A14 will be lucky to have anything other than a transitional snow to rain event during Sunday unless there's a significant change in the track in the next 24 hours.

Well yes.. hence my original post “mentions” 

No TV forecast yesterday mentioned snow for the SE or EA only the midlands 

Bedfordshire northwards still looks favourable though.  

Posted

I've woke up in a bad mood after seeng the metoffice forecasting 11 degrees tomorrow. Horrible down here last few winters. Miss the winters where we used to get a pasting in our region 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Yesterday the Beeb forecast showed Norfolk and Lincs northward under a white blanket, don't we all hate the uncertainty right up to the last minute!

Posted

One of those things, we live in one of the warmer parts of the UK. I'm sure most northerners would swap their higher snow risk for our 2 months of daytime temperatures above 20oC in summer.  My Scottish friend loves coming down to Essex during the summer holidays for our "warmth".

As said previously East Anglia and the South East corner usually see transitional snow with these systems. NE or Easterlies are what you need round these parts.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely

Met office app synopsis for tomorrow in London and south east max go for 11c WTF that all about? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.
11 hours ago, TheToastPeople said:

I think its probably going to snow at some point, before it turns back to rain... But ive been wrong before :snowman-emoji:

cool, i think this as well.

Although my phone weather forecast has gone mental with the snow.:rofl:

Hold the phone :-

image.thumb.png.9f5dd71e2f7799e0bf4b06b4ae8ba48f.png

Calm down dear.:yahoo:

My sleet has turned again.

Edited by Dami
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, slater said:

Met office app synopsis for tomorrow in London and south east max go for 11c WTF that all about? 

warmer air being sucked up by the low pressure.. pretty common occurrence with a system like this .. To be honest, I don't think we need to feel down hearted about missing out on the snow. It's only December and statistics show that Jan and Feb are the snowiest months. It's been a long time since the last December was like this one. 

gfs-1-30.png?0

That little finger of warm air is what scuppers our snow chance, although most do show some falling snow which I think a lot of us would give an arm for just to see falling snow 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
1 hour ago, clark3r said:

I've woke up in a bad mood after seeng the metoffice forecasting 11 degrees tomorrow. Horrible down here last few winters. Miss the winters where we used to get a pasting in our region 

I think this winter will deliver the goods for you, maybe not this weekend but after Christmas and the new year could be our time. 

Posted

Sun is up and just a few wisps of clouds around, the temp has just taken a dip down to -3.2°C :cold: that's the lowest for this month....so far!

If we can't have snow then clear crisp sunny days will do me

• Like 3

Posted

I think those ecm snow charts need a dose of rock salt! They seem to assume all that falls from the sky which is white accumulates, even in the transition zone which is always wet. The positioning of the lows and occlusion has gone as well as we could hope on this slider with areas north of London being on the right side. However, the latest fax chart shows a warm front ahead of the occlusion and this seems to take the snow line up to the northern extent of the Home Counties. Far west in our area this line may drop south somewhat 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

The High Red models bring many of us Into the mix apart from perhaps the far SE Corner which would be more of a wintry mix.

This surprised me this morning and now keeps my interest for tomorrow going a touch longer.