Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia generalweather discussion 08/11/2017 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
3 minutes ago, snow freak said:

the only time we are more or less guaranteed any worthwhile snow event in our region is when we get a north easterly or easterly.....and they are both a rarity, so basically we end up with crap.  for such a small island its ridiculous how the weather is each region is totally different.  An island this small should have the same weather across the board.

There is our problem. We are a little bit of rock surrounded by water at the wrong end of the jet stream. Shut the jet stream off and we are in business ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

18z has Mondays low further South.. this keeps the PPN mostly away BUT! Less warm sector, possible snow showers coming in from the NE

18z.thumb.gif.0108c1a9d551f283d3700ae1f3fe149d.gif

A touch further South to get that -6c isotherm over us and we could be in light streamer territory..

• Like 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, Danny* said:

Drew this quickly, parts of East Anglia look like getting a good covering!

Screen Shot 2017-12-08 at 21.40.00 copy.png

loving this visual for my area! Look's like you extended it to cover my neck of the woods just for me though :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Deleted 

Edited by Mark wheeler

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Still in the game Monday . 

745605D2-B2EF-4FDC-8665-462C3BFB13A5.png

5B3EF9AF-E3FE-424C-9B32-AA4605DD1F97.png

Uppers at the same time frames.

2B20C51F-1D78-444A-B7A9-66A70D330581.png

E8FEB2A0-1245-4DC1-993B-9051FACCFB1C.png

Edited by Mark wheeler
Correction
  • Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, EJA said:

Come on Brighton ?

I have a feeling we're going to be waiting a while. snow seems to fall everywhere but this little bay between Selsey and Eastbourne! :wallbash:

Maybe I should visit my family in Norway again... the only way i'll be seeing snow this winter!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms & Snow!
1 hour ago, Danny* said:

So those of us South of London are again hoping for a Southerly correction for Monday..

Always hoping.  Tomorrow never comes. ?

Posted
2 minutes ago, WeatherMoose said:

I have a feeling we're going to be waiting a while. snow seems to fall everywhere but this little bay between Selsey and Eastbourne! :wallbash:

Maybe I should visit my family in Norway again... the only way i'll be seeing snow this winter!

You never know, it is only December and if i remember correctly most snow events we've had the past few decades in the south-east have occurred rather late in the winter, plus snow is always more magical when it's at home!

Posted
1 hour ago, Danny* said:

So those of us South of London are again hoping for a Southerly correction for Monday..

No! Too far South, come back

overview_071.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow
25 minutes ago, WeatherMoose said:

at least you have that luxury of having family in a snowy clime so can just nip off there for free board and lodging. i wish i was as lucky.

Posted
5 minutes ago, snow freak said:

at least you have that luxury of having family in a snowy clime so can just nip off there for free board and lodging. i wish i was as lucky.

that is true, however its harder to nip off than you'd think. I fly from stansted and with ryanair, so the 9AM flights are hard to get to via public transport from worthing. Also fitting it into college timetables are tricky too, so I usually tag along with my dad who has a car and lives much closer to stansted so i can pop up the night before

Edited by WeatherMoose

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
2 hours ago, ReindeerMarmalade said:

MetO has now removed even the traces of sleet for me for Monday, whereas NW has me with 57% of snow for most of the day ?

Sleet's back for Monday, and this time it's for a full 12 hours. And a bit early Sunday morning. It'll change again shortly ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
10 minutes ago, Long haul to mild said:

Not sure I like the idea of a huge area of Yellow Snow.....I'd prefer the white stuff. :p

IMG_0769.PNG

I'm a few miles inside the area shown!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!
20 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

I'm a few miles inside the area shown!

It's going to be knife edge stuff! I'm about 10 miles outside it :wallbash: 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

Just seen the forecast  for Monday and she said there is a lot of uncertainty about the snowfall 

Posted

Latest NMM brings it further South, as does the APERGE

APER.thumb.png.1349d6a4bc50119f915de746f19ad131.pngNMM.thumb.png.0ef24ef30e2a3b826732a821417f43eb.png

If the shift South continues on the 00z, 06z and tomorrows 12z, it could put the South-East into an all snow event.. It's not over yet

Edited by Danny*
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Still keeping a slimmer of hope here for Monday morning here, the wind switches for a time to a NE'ly.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
7 minutes ago, Danny* said:

Latest NMM brings it further South, as does the APERGE

APER.thumb.png.1349d6a4bc50119f915de746f19ad131.pngNMM.thumb.png.0ef24ef30e2a3b826732a821417f43eb.png

If the shift South continues on the 00z, 06z and tomorrows 12z, it could put the South-East into an all snow event.. It's not over yet

Although a couple of models bring it south i would say Sunday is a dud for most in this area and think Monday has more chance of delivering but the problem i see is if the low moves too far north most will get rain and south....most will see snow but with limited precipitation. If i am totally honest i think this possible snow event for us is going to be meh but really do believe we will drag in those easterlies around new year and then we can stick our fingers up to those up north :)

Posted
Just now, Frostbite1980 said:

Although a couple of models bring it south i would say Sunday is a dud for most in this area and think Monday has more chance of delivering but the problem i see is if the low moves too far north most will get rain and south....most will see snow but with limited precipitation. If i am totally honest i think this possible snow event for us is going to be meh but really do believe we will drag in those easterlies around new year and then we can stick our fingers up to those up north :)

I think Monday probably wont be an event to be honest, most of the high res models already shifting it into France and barely have it scraping the South coast - If anything it's likely to correct further South too. I'd put the high res models ahead of the GFS/ECM/UKMO in these situations.

However. The North-Easterlies *could* drive some shower activity if we can get the -6 isotherm over us, uppers look just a little too warm for any significant shower activity.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
1 minute ago, Danny* said:

I think Monday probably wont be an event to be honest, most of the high res models already shifting it into France and barely have it scraping the South coast - If anything it's likely to correct further South too. I'd put the high res models ahead of the GFS/ECM/UKMO in these situations.

However. The North-Easterlies *could* drive some shower activity if we can get the -6 isotherm over us, uppers look just a little too warm for any significant shower activity.

Totally agree with you, nothing significant in our neck of the woods....just yet but this winter is far from over! Who wants wet slushy snow any way..... lets get the roaring E/NE winds, streamers and troughs coming in where there is no marginality and for the first time in 4 years i believe we will get that at some point :)

• Like 1