Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia generalweather discussion 08/11/2017 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

I'm amazed snow was reported in North Kent? Its been fairly clear over my head :hi:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
25 minutes ago, Dami said:

I'm the same, got an Met0 weatherwarning e-mail around 2 hours ago, stating i was in amber, as does that part of the site, but i'm not in the amber on the chart, nor has my yellow upgraded on my main forecast, i think it's a cock up. Going from the forecast here it's just another day in the office here now.

The amber part of the warning just about scrapes the extreme North of our region, hence "London & South East England" showing on the text part of the warning.

5a2aa4610de49_ScreenShot2017-12-08at14_39_44.thumb.png.0514c28f0167f75b56436d24f4c84c6c.png

Pretty silly if you ask me 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

The midlands, NW England, Wales and the northern parts of the West Country often do well in these situations where a low pressure system from the west bumps into entrenched cold air. They’re inevitably on the northern and/or western flank of these depressions were the cold air still remains and undercuts. 

Due to our georgraphy we are often the southern and eastern side in a warm sector with winds dragging higher temperatures and dew points up from the south. 

After the Thames streamer event that battered our region in early Feb 2009, later In the month there were a number of low pressure systems that delivered heavy snow to the midlands, Wales and the West Country and cold rain to us. 

Hkwever, sometimes slider lows can really benefit our region - eg Feb 2012. We had heavy snow and places further west saw snow to rain or a slushy mix. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

rain it is then

Yep, no surprise. :)Though it's the GFS....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

I'm back to sleet gov :hi:

Image result for sleet gif

But on the plus i'm still in the warning. super.

Edited by Dami

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely

Remember this time last week, when charts were showing outrageous snow ❄️ for today. Looks quite mild outlook for the Christmas lead up , no surprise there then 

• Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, slater said:

Remember this time last week, when charts were showing outrageous snow ❄️ for today. Looks quite mild outlook for the Christmas lead up , no surprise there then 

some charts, not the most reliable ones though ...........

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

What are the chances that it will all start to edge south from this evenings 18z run then? 

Snow/rain boundary moving south something like this:D:

18z- Bedford

00z- Watford

12z- Central London

18z-Croydon

00z Sunday- showing heavy snow from Norwich to Brighton!  :yahoo::rofl: 

:crazy:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely
3 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

some charts, not the most reliable ones though ...........

Well least it gets the model room all going! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting!

Looks like Sunday is going to be one for drawing the curtains and breaking out the eggnog for most of us.

Monday slush-fest anyone? Bleugh - give me 12 degrees and bone dry any day. I like watching the snow fall, but only if it's powdery and deep enough to make things look nice for a while.

• Like 1

Posted

Another trend towards a more northern boundary for the snow on Sunday... 12z looks so marginal for much of EA/South East. 

I still feel the GFS is struggling with the cold displacement though and kind of hopeful this may make a difference on Sunday (ie the freezing level boundary being slightly further South than GFS predicts). Still scope for improvement - not giving up just yet ! 

• Like 2

Posted

Lots of rain in the forecast, cold rain at that! Bloody dreadful...on the plus side at least we have electricity and indoor toilets down here :diablo::D

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Ukmo 72 shows heavy snow for SE england except for the SE of Kent

Elevated areas may do well- so somewhere like Herts etc... im quite excited here ~ 150M is worth a good 1.5c...

IMG_2217.thumb.PNG.0ca729c03c8a7f30f532b0ee8793c5d0.PNG

s

Wet snow followed by a swift melt, I suppose for some of you guys in the northern side of the county are more entitled to be excicted :)

Posted
4 minutes ago, Matt Ralph said:

Another trend towards a more northern boundary for the snow on Sunday... 12z looks so marginal for much of EA/South East. 

I still feel the GFS is struggling with the cold displacement though and kind of hopeful this may make a difference on Sunday (ie the freezing level boundary being slightly further South than GFS predicts). Still scope for improvement - not giving up just yet ! 

Is that so? Overall since yesterday we’ve seen southern extent expand now visible in BBC graphics. Quite a few models offer snow to south of the M4 corridor. 

• Like 2

Posted

As I mentioned earlier. Some parts of the region could be looking at north of 2” of rain falling Sunday and Monday. Simply awful situation we find ourselves in. All whilst watching the North get pasted with snow 20cm+ in places. A weekend for hiding indoors and praying it all turns to snow instead ??

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
8 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

Lots of rain in the forecast, cold rain at that! Bloody dreadful...on the plus side at least we have electricity and indoor toilets down here :diablo::D

has civilization reached them ooop there yet .:unknw:

Posted

I’m about 30 miles south of the snow zone. I think the track is pretty much nailed now (the Met Office seem confident too). How depressing :( 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
Just now, CK1981 said:

I’m about 30 miles south of the snow zone. I think the track is pretty much nailed now (the Met Office seem confident too). How depressing :( 

Yes, rain for us but that was expected, anyway, so I'm not too disappointed. Monday may be of more interest? 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Yes, rain for us but that was expected, anyway, so I'm not too disappointed. Monday may be of more interest? 

Yes, I’m keeping a close eye on Monday. We may be in for a few surprises!

• Like 1