Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia generalweather discussion 08/11/2017 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
3 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

it'll be rain in London, i can feel it in my trousers:cc_confused:

Sounds like you need some of these?

IMG_4953.JPG

IMG_4954.JPG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
5 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Sounds like you need some of these?

IMG_4953.JPG

IMG_4954.JPG

I bet they'll go down a storm in Leicester Square?:rofl:

• Like 1

Posted

I may be furthest north in our region but that doesn't seem to actually be helping for this upcoming snow event.. it's looking extremely marginal for my location in particular, i'd rather be on the south coast somewhere near brighton where chances are extremely low then just straightup marginal. it'll definitely be a stay-up-all-night-radar-watching event overnight saturday to sunday

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.
12 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

At the moment, your area is the most likely in the whole of the SE region to get heavy, disruptive snowfall. Post some pics, please, if that happens :)

If the miracle happens I shall =):cold-emoji: 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
1 hour ago, Southender said:

Would love someone to produce a document on why the M4 area almost always seems to be the rough line between snow & rain.

It really has it in for us lot doesn't it.

Do the weather systems constantly take the same track?

Is it the modification in terms of temps and dews from the channel on a Southerly draw?

Genuinely interested on the reasons behind the M4 areas ability to act as a heat shield and turn the snow to rain.

Indeed its either the M4 and anywhere north, or the channel ports and anywhere south. Lets face it, areas around London and to the SE/E the majority on here need an easterly, end of, not a NE, or a N or NW, just an easterly will suffice, IE streamers like the Thames streamer. As for Channel runners, as rare as white flies, lets face it, Sundays feature could have been one of them :angry:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
40 minutes ago, Southender said:

Let's hope this is way wide of the mark.

2-3" of rain quite widely for our region over the course of Sunday and Monday.

http://modeles2.meteociel.fr/modeles_gfs/runs/2017120806/78-777.GIF?08-6

If only that was snow....

Shropshire and parts of the Midlands will have a foot by close of play Monday.

Depends if its wet snow or powder snow, more likely the wet variety, 2 inches of rain though could amount to as much as close to 2 foot of level snow!:shok:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Down to 40% for Sunday and Monday in Gillingham.

The hope remains.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Am i going mad of have the Met extended the amber warning for snow for some parts of our area on Sunday??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
11 minutes ago, JennyJane1 said:

is that us?

I hope so, JJ; they seem to be getting slowly closer. But, our being in the Triangle could make for a tantalisingly agonising near-miss!:unknw: 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

This is of interest, it gives much of our region a snow accumulation. Not sure how accurate it is, we will find out soon.

IMG_4955.PNG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

This is of interest, it gives much of our region a snow accumulation. Not sure how accurate it is, we will find out soon.

IMG_4955.PNG

I'll be amazed if I see sleet in a lamppost at this rate. MetO forecasts still flip-flopping only a couple of hours out...the light snow they earlier thought my area would  get around 1700 today has disappeared, so it's all incredibly marginal. Monday currently looks a bit better but I won't be surprised if that disappears too tbh. The weather does whatever it does ?

• Like 1

Posted

The new Met Office warning line is AGONISINGLY close to us in North Kent. 

It's a case of a couple more miles south and this could be grand. Congrats to Anglia though, they seem to be ready for a dump!

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, ReindeerMarmalade said:

I'll be amazed if I see sleet in a lamppost at this rate. MetO forecasts still flip-flopping only a couple of hours out...the light snow they earlier thought my area would  get around 1700 today has disappeared, so it's all incredibly marginal. Monday currently looks a bit better but I won't be surprised if that disappears too tbh. The weather does whatever it does ?

Agree with you, I'm expecting sleet here at best on Sunday, with lots of rain and strong winds. I'm more interested in Monday's synoptic as it is quite rare to have such a deep low give our region NE'ly gales, plus some model output is predicting snow for our region. I'm rather sceptical but this chart shows us in with a chance of some lying snow.

IMG_4956.PNG

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 1

Posted
28 minutes ago, Frostbite1980 said:

Am i going mad of have the Met extended the amber warning for snow for some parts of our area on Sunday??

confusingly it is saying amber on the list, but not showing Amber on the map.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.
6 minutes ago, throwoff said:

confusingly it is saying amber on the list, but not showing Amber on the map.

I'm the same, got an Met0 weatherwarning e-mail around 2 hours ago, stating i was in amber, as does that part of the site, but i'm not in the amber on the chart, nor has my yellow upgraded on my main forecast, i think it's a cock up. Going from the forecast here it's just another day in the office here now.

Posted
8 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Agree with you, I'm expecting sleet here at best on Sunday, with lots of rain and strong winds. I'm more interested in Monday's synoptic as it is quite rare to have such a deep low give our region NE'ly gales, plus some model output is predicting snow for our region. I'm rather sceptical but this chart shows us in with a chance of some lying snow.

IMG_4956.PNG

If that comes off I'll be gobsmacked! ? I mean, in a good way, but still! That's a million miles away from anything I've seen from Met...tempering my expectations after several years of bilge, as much as I'd love that to verify. At the moment I'm not even expecting sleet on Sunday, just rain and temps around 7-8°.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, ReindeerMarmalade said:

If that comes off I'll be gobsmacked! ? I mean, in a good way, but still! That's a million miles away from anything I've seen from Met...tempering my expectations after several years of bilge, as much as I'd love that to verify. At the moment I'm not even expecting sleet on Sunday, just rain and temps around 7-8°.

I'll be gobsmacked, too! Like you, am expecting cold rain. Not like me to post these silly, ramp charts so I apologise but they are being produced. Plenty to be resolved but currently, Monday is looking quite interesting. I hope at least some of us will see some snow :)

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, stainesbloke said:

I'll be gobsmacked, too! Like you, am expecting cold rain. Not like me to post these silly, ramp charts so I apologise but they are being produced. Plenty to be resolved but currently, Monday is looking quite interesting. I hope at least some of us will see some snow :)

Ramp away! Chances are low but I'll take this over the nonsense we've been facing over the last few years. I suspect I'm in one of the worst places for snow - too far east to get anything from the current set-ups and too far west for a lot of the stuff that hits London or Kent :wallbash:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Looking at the charts for Sunday and those south of London do not even look like getting cold rain! The temps are forecast to hit around 6 - 7c, it would have to be an almighty shift south to get us in on the act.

In all honesty, I think anywhere south of Birmingham could be looking at just a wintry mix based on some of the current charts.

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France

Not holding out any hope for today at Watford - currently 3.4C with a humidity of 71% which should bring the dew point below zero, if only I could recall the formula for working it out - some small bits of cu with small amounts of alto cu and some alto stratus above but mainly blue sky, bright and sunny.

I don't think the snow they had in the Midlands is going to reach this far south. 

If we get any at all over the weekend it looks like snow during the early hours on Sunday turning to rain, with temps rising to say 6 to 8C, so only likely to be fleeting and I think we will have to get up early to see it. 

Sunday and Monday are going to be real headache situations, especially as rain will be in the mix! Sunday looking warmer at 5 degrees and Monday looking colder again! So I imagine it will be snow, then rain, then potentially snow again late on Monday! The difficult part will be working out if any of it will accumulate! Obviously if the ground is wet from Sunday, it would need to be really heavy Monday evening in order for it to settle properly, otherwise it will be slush! And that’s just nasty