Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia generalweather discussion 08/11/2017 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely

Well yet again bit of meh really, cold damp wet sums up Attleborough this morning! Hey ho welcome to Winter everybody, who placing bets temps on 24/25th this month being 12c-15c just like last year ! and 2015 silly me 2014 as well ! Winter Just sucks in December! Apart from 2010 of course ha! 

Posted

Some very wet snow coming down around the highest points of north kent this morning but nothing to get excited about. Rain everywhere else it seems

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.
3 minutes ago, Danny* said:

Sodding Northern Spain has more snow than we do

D321060E-FBDF-4DBA-81BB-360294FA9400.thumb.png.22893063e48c8768715034130a98bd8f.png

Yep and loads snow in Paris, yet surprise surprise its raining here.

The Alpine regions are getting plenty of snow, so when that wind finally goes to the east this winter, we might get hammered.

Posted
9 hours ago, Paul Sherman said:

Top 5 in my 45 years as follows for SE Essex

1. January 1987

2. Nov/Dec 2010

3. February 1991

4. Winter of 1979

5. 1st to 3rd Feb 2009

So when you look at it we have had 2 notable xtreme events in the last 8 Years so not all bad. But that period from 1991 to 2009 was like pulling teeth!

I was abroad in January 1987 but my mother worked at what was then Access and said she crossed Priory Park knee high in snow. I think that was also the winter she was late for work and attempted to run across Victoria Avenue, slipped, and slid up to the park gates on her bottom.

I do remember February 1991, I have a photo of it and the huge icicles it produced in our flat in Southend, I remember walking to the Kursaal in falling snow when it was already deep on the ground.

I also remember a snow event in Southend in February or March 1981. I remember walking miles to school in 1979 and being frozen as well as having to play hockey in flimsy clothes in biting winds, I also remember winter 1973 when i fell on the ice into a freezing puddle and the kind baker's assistant in Westcliff came out and gave me a cake, I was only a little girl.I also remember watching the snow fall from the school window that year, and the school playground freezing in a huge sheet of ice.

In Brighton, I remember a good snow event in 1993.

Further up the coast here, we had no snow in 2010 when everyone else had it.We did have a very good snow event here in January 2004 which stopped all the buses.

My father used to say that in winter 1963, he walked alongside Southend Pier on the ice in the water, never being able to imagine such a thing, I always thought it was a joke, to say how cold it was, it wasn't till only a couple of years ago that I saw online photos of ice alongside Southend Pier and realised it was quite feasible he could have walked on it in that way.

Edited by JennyJane1
  • Like 4

Posted

Does anyone remember the March 2005 event? I think it was very isolated to elevated places in north kent. I was off work as I thought something special might happen and we had about 9 inches in a day. I think it was a low that came in though the channel with cold air coming in off the continent and it stalled. marginal as it rained lower down but we had a sweet spot. Amazing for March.

I'm getting some good vibes about a weeks time but as always marginal events for us.....keep the dream alive lol

Oh what I'd love for a 1987 repeat though.....

1987.jpg

Edited by c00ps
  • Like 1

Posted

I’m regionless . Unless I want to set one up with just one member! :D

In terms of that snow in Spain that is quite high up so don’t feel too hard done by. We did get some here at 1100 feet which is the first snow for two years.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Beautiful,get a lovely train of showers feeding in,and what happens,they fall as rain,oh well,it is only the 1st dec,plenty of time left

Posted
10 hours ago, Paul Sherman said:

Top 5 in my 45 years as follows for SE Essex

1. January 1987

2. Nov/Dec 2010

3. February 1991

4. Winter of 1979

5. 1st to 3rd Feb 2009

So when you look at it we have had 2 notable xtreme events in the last 8 Years so not all bad. But that period from 1991 to 2009 was like pulling teeth!

I'd agree with all of them in that order except the winter of 1979 as I was only 2 and don't remember it!  I do, however, remember having a decent amount of snow in (I think) around March 1986 as I think it was then we had to pick up our new puppy from Wembley and the snow depth being higher than the puppy was on our walk back to the car!

Edited by snow raven

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

so frustrating, its absoloutly bitter here, i think even colder than yesterday. its raining hard but with big white bits in. still windy. 

Posted

Very satisfying night in Ely, Cambridgeshire last night - right in the firing zone for streamers off the North Sea last night. Plenty of full on heavy snow, but with no major settling (just sprinkling/residue left on surfaces). Extremely icy everywhere this morning - solid ice and slush on all roads. 

Crazy but that was better than anything we got last season already !! Keep it coming 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
59 minutes ago, seaside 60 said:

The Alpine regions are getting plenty of snow, so when that wind finally goes to the east this winter, we might get hammered.

Loads of snow in Paris? Not on any of the webcams I'm looking at, just a tiny sprinkling on a few bits of grass?

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted
1 hour ago, Snow Queen one said:

Ba humbug.  No snow only rain.  Living in mid Kent is great in summer for heat but sucks in winter for cold.

If we do get a full on Easterly you will know what living in Kent in winter is all about.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.
1 hour ago, c00ps said:

Does anyone remember the March 2005 event? I think it was very isolated to elevated places in north kent. I was off work as I thought something special might happen and we had about 9 inches in a day. I think it was a low that came in though the channel with cold air coming in off the continent and it stalled. marginal as it rained lower down but we had a sweet spot. Amazing for March.

I'm getting some good vibes about a weeks time but as always marginal events for us.....keep the dream alive lol

Oh what I'd love for a 1987 repeat though.....

1987.jpg

Yes I do. I lost my mum during it. They couldn't get an ambulance to her and she didn't make it. But anyway moving on... 

Posted
1 hour ago, JennyJane1 said:

I was abroad in January 1987 but my mother worked at what was then Access and said she crossed Priory Park knee high in snow. I think that was also the winter she was late for work and attempted to run across Victoria Avenue, slipped, and slid up to the park gates on her bottom.

I do remember February 1991, I have a photo of it and the huge icicles it produced in our flat in Southend, I remember walking to the Kursaal in falling snow when it was already deep on the ground.

I also remember a snow event in Southend in February or March 1981. I remember walking miles to school in 1979 and being frozen as well as having to play hockey in flimsy clothes in biting winds, I also remember winter 1973 when i fell on the ice into a freezing puddle and the kind baker's assistant in Westcliff came out and gave me a cake, I was only a little girl.I also remember watching the snow fall from the school window that year, and the school playground freezing in a huge sheet of ice.

In Brighton, I remember a good snow event in 1993.

Further up the coast here, we had no snow in 2010 when everyone else had it.We did have a very good snow event here in January 2004 which stopped all the buses.

My father used to say that in winter 1963, he walked alongside Southend Pier on the ice in the water, never being able to imagine such a thing, I always thought it was a joke, to say how cold it was, it wasn't till only a couple of years ago that I saw online photos of ice alongside Southend Pier and realised it was quite feasible he could have walked on it in that way.

Small world and all that.

My parents used to live round the corner and my dad used to work at Echo before Access took over.

1987 was amazing seeing ice blocks right out to the middle of the river at high tide, not sure that we will see those 3 or 4 days again but we always hope.

Posted

Quite nice here in east London today. The sun's trying to poke through and not as cold IMO.

Posted
48 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Loads of snow in Paris? Not on any of the webcams I'm looking at, just a tiny sprinkling on a few bits of grass?

I meant last night, I saw posted on twitter really heavy snow for a while, didnt mean it was buried in 10ft of snow lol.. apologies if any one got excited.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
1 hour ago, seaside 60 said:

We get hammered? :rofl: Yer, yet heard it all before hundreds if not thousands of times on here:laugh:.... Its snowing all over Europe and we get blinking rain, in fact its sunshine and showers here this morning like April showers, not even cold.:doh::angry::lazy:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

Feb 1991 was epic. Had just started work aged 17 in Essex and remember going bezerk as Francis nonchalantly trotted this forecast for the day ahead. “Temps rising from minus 11 to a daytime high of minus 5”  !!!

Snowed two days solid to 13 inches where I was in Braintree. I remember cyling home 

from work with snow levels higher than the top of my bmx bike wheels

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
20 minutes ago, snowray said:

We get hammered? :rofl: Yer, yet heard it all before hundreds if not thousands of times on here:laugh:.... Its snowing all over Europe and we get blinking rain, in fact its sunshine and showers here this morning like April showers, not even cold.:doh::angry::lazy:

A proper easterly, from a frozen continent will give Kent and Essex especially, some good snowfalls from showers. Add a trough or the holy grail, a Channel low, bingo for the rest of our region. It's important to remember that we are living on an island surrounded by warmer seas, so snow is a little harder to achieve than in parts of mainland Europe and January/February, not December, have nearly always given the best wintry episodes. Plenty to be optimistic about at the moment.

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
11 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

A proper easterly, from a frozen continent will give Kent and Essex especially, some good snowfalls from showers. Add a trough or the holy grail, a Channel low, bingo for the rest of our region. It's important to remember that we are living on an island surrounded by warmer seas, so snow is a little harder to achieve than in parts of mainland Europe and January/February have nearly always given the best wintry episodes. Plenty to be optimistic about at the moment.

Do you mean them channel lows that always just clip the south coast and produce copious snowfall in Northern France and The Benelux region?:D

Here we go again, 06z....

More mild sectors though embedded in there so probably be rain again.:crazy:

gfs-0-162.png

gfs-0-186.png

gfs-1-162.png

gfs-1-186.png

gfs-2-162.png

gfs-2-174.png

gfs-2-186.png

Edited by snowray