Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia generalweather discussion 08/11/2017 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Frosty Mornings

Car was showing -3 when I got in it at 5am

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, storms or both at same time..

My garden weather station reported a low of 0.7c at 8:20am today.

Looks like the cold spell that might of been coming for last half of November is off, before it even started lol. 

It's been a very boring calm Autumn so far this year, I do like the odd wind storm this time of year personally 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Probably the last frost of the winter this morning - wet and mild through to March I expect.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, storms or both at same time..
3 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Probably the last frost of the winter this morning - wet and mild through to March I expect.

lol its not even winter yet

Posted
11 minutes ago, Rob Deacon said:

lol its not even winter yet

I know, but I couldn't think of another way to put it such that it included the first 2-3 months of next year while, at the same time, excluding the early phase of next winter.:oops:

Posted
Just now, Summer Sun said:

Drought warnings issued for the SE as another dry winter looms

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-42019134

More reason to want a mild, wet winter as opposed to a cold and drier one, then.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

I woke up to a Sunny and frosty morning.  There was only a light covering of frost which quickly disappeared.  It only lasted an hour.  The temperature is  8.3 °C  and though it is cooler than yesterday, it feels warmer because of the sunshine and that the humidity has gone down to 10%.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Ah I have a 'white' Birthday <3 In fact I can't believe it's not raining. It's a first.

I read that the models, bless them all, have taken all the cold away and now it's going to be very mild and wet and maybe a bit stormy.  

:closedeyes:

• Like 3

Posted

A cold start to the day frost all lifted now, this last last year I think we managed a few air frosts. UHI keeping them at bay, wonderful blue skies once again, instead of snow I'm happy with this.

• Like 2

Posted

First scraping the ice off the car morning of the season, once I had dug out the ice scraper. Car temperature showed 3 degrees at 9am with a little ice symbol, in case I hadn't noticed it was cold, and the super-high-tech intelligent key refused to work once it had been in the cool temperatures for a while. Nonsuch Park was as close to a winter wonderland as it can be in the absence of snow for walking the dog; lovely:ball-santa-emoji:

Nonsuch Park.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
2 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Drought warnings issued for the SE as another dry winter looms

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-42019134

No surprise here as river has been low since before summer and it keeps getting lower. Locals say it' the lowest they've ever seen it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

What a nice day for a walk! Although the temp only reached 7.8C here, as Katrine says above, it felt pleasant in the plentiful sunshine. I snapped this photo of the swans on the local river (Brett) this afternoon. The 4 youngsters were born back in the spring of this year. Mum & Dad are in the background keeping an eye on them!

5a0f074abfee5_SwansonBrett17nov2017.thumb.jpg.f4be4d7e55fb64837893464a54d8fde0.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, Blessed Weather said:

What a nice day for a walk! Although the temp only reached 7.8C here, as Katrine says above, it felt pleasant in the plentiful sunshine. I snapped this photo of the swans on the local river (Brett) this afternoon. The 4 youngsters were born back in the spring of this year. Mum & Dad are in the background keeping an eye on them!

5a0f074abfee5_SwansonBrett17nov2017.thumb.jpg.f4be4d7e55fb64837893464a54d8fde0.jpg

Lovely photo, Malcolm!  Is that marginal plant on the right-hand side pink-tipped?

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!
3 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

Hello Malcolm

It was beautiful here today after a chilly start. I took my wife up to Hylands Park in Writtle on the outskirts of Chelmsford midday and sat outside a cafe there and had a sausage baguette.  It was really very pleasant in the sun, but as soon we went for a short walk (my wife is recuperating from a hospital stay), into a shaded part of the park we really noticed the difference especially when the sun went behind a patch of cloud, as it was really chilly.

Kind Regards

Dave

• Like 4

Posted
3 hours ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Lovely photo, Malcolm!  Is that marginal plant on the right-hand side pink-tipped?

Hi Chris. Good question and you've got me wondering. Hopefully it's not Himalayan Balsam, which is actually classed as a major weed problem on river banks. I've zoomed in on the photo but can't tell. Hope it isn't but I'll take another look when I'm over that way again.

Here's a stock photo of the weed - looks ominously similar: h-balsam-habitat-2.thumb.jpg.ed8bdf0ebe64b6973ae3cbc4877f6fba.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Beautiful cold and sunny start here this morning. 

No rain, no wind = bliss. 

Nice weekend coming up and no borefest wind storm or mind numbing rain in sight. 

Meanwhile the MOD threat debates whether Scotland gets snow in 5 days time....yawn Zzzzzzzz 

Just as bad as those threating a drought because it hasn't rained in 3 days at the beginning of winter.... Cringeable 

Edited by Ben Lewis
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
Just now, Steve Murr said:

Evening All

just checking in to our thread -

New ash Green currently on the cusp of an air frost - at 0.3c ....

expect to land circa -1.5 tonight !

Yeah I just messaged my son who is at uni down there in Kent to nag him about wearing a coat. He thinks he's immune to cold and never ever wears one.
This will be the first winter where he's out drinking so I'm especially doing the nagging mum thing now! 

Posted

Nice Saturday morning here. Not as cold last night with a min of 1.6C. But I think the windchill will make it feel different today as there's already a good breeze here blowing the frost-weakened leaves off my trees.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

What a difference here to yesterday. Heavy drizzle has now turned to steady rain and it's chilly. Got soaked walking to the supermarket (25 minutes each way). Not much wind though, small positive!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

It has been sunny and calm so far today. Hopefully this will continue.

• Like 1